Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a track/race bike

• 23-06-2009 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,

Later this week i'm going to look at a 06 CBR600rr race/track bike. Haven't bought a race bike before. I was just wondering what's the deal with test driving it or is a test drive not done on a race bike?
    Also any other things to watch out for when buying a race bike.
    Cheers for replys.

dhev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Stefano's yer man to answer this. He has one.

I also know of a k3 (?) gixxer thou too for sale. probably more a race than a track bike if you get me - i.e. not a first time out hacker for mondello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Give us the full spec and asking price. Race bikes are far cheaper than their road equivalent and in these difficult economic times you should be able to pick up a clean bike for cheap.

Can't go into mad detail right now but if you give me the spec I'll tell you if the price is realistic and then I'll tell you what to look out for! ;)

Oh and is it for racing or track days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

Give us the full spec and asking price. Race bikes are far cheaper than their road equivalent and in these difficult economic times you should be able to pick up a clean bike for cheap.

Can't go into mad detail right now but if you give me the spec I'll tell you if the price is realistic and then I'll tell you what to look out for! ;)

Oh and is it for racing or track days?

pm sent
    cheers for reply Steffano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

First thing to check it that it's not stolen :eek:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    Indeed! Unfortunately a lot of stolen bikes end up on the track...

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »

The bike is up the north and the guy told me there's no V5 with the bike as it's always been a race bike. How do i go about checking if it's stolen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

sounds weird to me mate. Every bike is registered as far as i know. Even if no miles on road and straight to track i imagine it should be registered. Not 100% though.if you get VIN or anything in cop computer i can ask my brother to check it out for ya.

seanybiker wrote: »
    sounds weird to me mate. Every bike is registered as far as i know. Even if no miles on road and straight to track i imagine it should be registered. Not 100% though.if you get VIN or anything in cop computer i can ask my brother to check it out for ya.

cheers man. just sent the dude a text there, askin for the frame no. hopefully have something this eve.

seanybiker wrote: »

The dude sellin the bike got back to me straight away.
    I sent the no. to you in a pm.

cheers,
    Daryl

Good man Daryl! I was just about to advise getting the VIN number to get it checked by the Police/Garda.

I wouldn't panic about the V5. Bought two bikes up North and none of them had it...

I'll post what to look out for this evening (sorry for the delay I'm up to me tits in work!).

• Advertisement

Good man Daryl! I was just about to advise getting the VIN number to get it checked by the Police/Garda.

I wouldn't panic about the V5. Bought two bikes up North and none of them had it...

I'll post what to look out for this evening (sorry for the delay I'm up to me tits in work!).

That's a good complaint to have in this economic time.:)
    thanks Stefano

Right! Buying a race bike:

You probably won't be able to test ride it as it won't be road legal. The ideal thing when buying a race bike is meeting the seller at a track day to test ride it but that's a rare luxury so you'll have to take a decision after taking a good look at her.

First, make sure it's not stolen. Getting the V5 would have been ideal but in your case, checking with the VIN number will have to do.

Now, this track/race bike has probably been down the road a few times. That's "normal" for such a bike but it means you need to be very careful before buying it. Are the fairings in good condition or are they hanging on with tie wraps? If it's the latter, don't pay asking price.

Is the frame straight and true? Are the crash mushrooms damaged? If the bike only saw a couple of lowsides it's fine. If it was highsided, inspect the frame, subframe and forks/yokes carefuly to make sure it's not bent.

Tip: to make sure the forks/yokes are straight, sit on the bike and adjust the handlebars to where you'd expect the front wheel to be straight (top yoke perpendicular with seat/tank). Then dismount the bike and go behind it and kneel down to see if both wheels are aligned. If you move your head from left to right you should see the front wheel appearing on both sides exactly the same way. If one side appears before the other, the forks/yokes are bent. Walk away.

Engine: the sellers told you he used the bike four times so even if he didn't change the oil after every outing (or after every second outing) it won't be too bad. But what about the previous owner? Was he racing the bike (that's usually a good sign as most race bikes are well looked after)? Was he changing the oil regularly? Oil changes are critical for race bikes because they get a proper pounding every time!

The fact that the engine is "basically standard" is a good thing. Race tuned engines are fragile so you're better off with a standard one. But what exactly does the seller mean by "basically standard"? Has it been tuned a little? Ask him!

Are the engine casings cracked or damaged? That can happen if there was no crash mushrooms or they didn't do their job properly. Engine casings are expensive so make sure they're good (you'll get away with light scratches but if it looks more serious walk away).

Oh, to check if the engine is alright, make sure the bike is dead cold before you arrive at the sellers location. You want to start her up from cold to see how she runs. If she fires up good and sounds alright when cold you should be grand (battery could be a little tired though as race bikes don't get used on a daily basis - don't let that put you off). Listen for knocking noises and generally make sure the engine is running smoothly.

The list of extras looks alright. Full Akra is definitely good. Power Commander means the bike was probably put on a dyno and tuned a little. That's fine if done properly and if you want to get it done yourself I know a place that will do a phenomenal job. Steering damper is a must (WP is a good enough brand). Ohlins shock and K-Tech internals sounds good but make sure he gives you that receipt to prove they were serviced recently!

Spare wheels are a must-have but do they come with discs? If they don't, knock some money off the asking price to get a set for them (trust me, it's a pain having to change discs every time!).

So there you have it, a few things to look out for...

You're looking at a 2006 CBR 600. Honda's are bullet-proof so there's a good chance she'll be a good bike. And being 2006 means she hasn't been around for that long. My race bike is a 2002 GSX-R and there's nothing wrong with her so a 2006 should be perfect!

Take your time and take a good look at her. Make sure everything is working and looks good/clean.

As for the asking price, I'd offer £2,900 if she's in great nick. If the spare wheels don't have discs and if the fairings are in bits I'd offer £2,400.

Best of luck and see you at the track! ;)

Hey Steffano,
    Cheers for putting all that effort into writting up those pointers. Much appreciated.
    Going up to look at the bike on Monday.
    The fairings look good from the pic he sent me and he said there is disks on the spare wheels.
    From the picture there is a mark on the casing, but hard to make out how bad from the pic. Suppose i'll know when i see it.

cheers again,
    Daryl

dhev wrote: »
    Hey Steffano,
    Cheers for putting all that effort into writting up those pointers. Much appreciated.
    Going up to look at the bike on Monday.
    The fairings look good from the pic he sent me and he said there is disks on the spare wheels.
    From the picture there is a mark on the casing, but hard to make out how bad from the pic. Suppose i'll know when i see it.

cheers again,
    Daryl
    Yeah, taking a long close look at it is the only way really.

As I said, I wouldn't let a few scrashes put you off but if it looks a bit too serious then walk away or offer much less than asking price.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

great write up. Hey bud i was onto me brother but he said he didnt get a chance to check it out cos there a mad pikey feud down in kerry now and he flat out searching and whatnot. He said if the bike was never registered in republic that it probably wont be on pulse. Im sure if ya rang north cops and explained why you are asking they will probably tell you.

Yeah, taking a long close look at it is the only way really.

As I said, I wouldn't let a few scrashes put you off but if it looks a bit too serious then walk away or offer much less than asking price.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on! ;)

Hey lads,
    Went up to look at the bike on Monday. Everything on the bike is straight and everything looks good. Started the bike, no problem. Bike sounded good. Tuck her for a spin down the road. Engine had a clicking noise and the higher the rev the faster the clicking. Could be valve clearances or could be something more serious. Walked away. Was unsure about the engine.

The search continues.
    To be continued....

Fair play for walking away seen as you were unsure! Takes courage after going all the way up to have a look at her...

Better look next time!

Do you be on IrishBikeRacing.com (the forum section)? LOADS of bikes for sale on there! ;)

Fair play for walking away seen as you were unsure! Takes courage after going all the way up to have a look at her...

Better look next time!

Do you be on IrishBikeRacing.com (the forum section)? LOADS of bikes for sale on there! ;)

More than that, i had a bike trailer and sterling with me too.
    Irishbikeracing.com, biker.ie, donedeal.ie. I think that's all the irish sites.
    If ya think of any more, let me know.

Cheers man.
    Daryl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

adverts.ie

Advertisement