Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sand bags? "22lr backstop"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

PS i know i said I'd stay away from the politics but alas i was drawn into battle once more,
    regards Ivanthewarmonger:D

Ivan the Argumentative I would say:D
    Sparks doesn't draft SI's in his spare time Ivan, and trying to argue the finer points of ranges and their legality here is a waste of time.
    Just you set your range up, wait for a visit from the Gardai and argue your point with them.
    It will save a lot of my time and bandwidth and will be very interesting for all of us as a test case.

Saorstat Eireann vs Ivan the Hunter 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Who said anything about a range?
    A sand bag or bag full of sand can be considered a range??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

kakashka wrote: »
    Who said anything about a range?
    A sand bag or bag full of sand can be considered a range??

Thats what Sparks and Rovi pointed out in Posts 13-15 and 19.
    There is NO distinction between a Range and a place where you zero a rifle before hunting.
    Bad legislation and bad legislators, hang on scratch that, the shambles at the moment show that we don't even have a properly functioning legislature.

I agree that there should be a distinction for the purposes of a hunter being able to zero a rifle for reasons of accuracy and safety.
    But say you make a safe backstop with a load of sand and a bullet trap.
    The shooting point is a little damp so you make a hard stand for the benchrest.
    You have a spotter with a scope to let you know where you are hitting
    A garda comes along and decides that you are now operating a range.
    You think a judge is going to go against the legislation?

You might not even have to have all the things I have described in place but you could still find yourself in a very sticky situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

CJhaughey wrote: »
    [/S]

Ivan the Argumentative I would say:D
    Sparks doesn't draft SI's in his spare time Ivan, and trying to argue the finer points of ranges and their legality here is a waste of time.
    Just you set your range up, wait for a visit from the Gardai and argue your point with them.
    It will save a lot of my time and bandwidth and will be very interesting for all of us as a test case.

Saorstat Eireann vs Ivan the Hunter 2009.

As for arguing the finer points of a range being a waste of time, your prob right. But i only ever intended to ask about sand bags as a back stop. I never instigated this political brawl but seeing as it rose its dirty head here i said i would respond to those who provided comments.
    Regards Ivan

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats what Sparks and Rovi pointed out in Posts 13-15 and 19.
    There is NO distinction between a Range and a place where you zero a rifle before hunting.
    Bad legislation and bad legislators, hang on scratch that, the shambles at the moment show that we don't even have a properly functioning legislature.

I agree that there should be a distinction for the purposes of a hunter being able to zero a rifle for reasons of accuracy and safety.
    But say you make a safe backstop with a load of sand and a bullet trap.
    The shooting point is a little damp so you make a hard stand for the benchrest.
    You have a spotter with a scope to let you know where you are hitting
    A garda comes along and decides that you are now operating a range.
    You think a judge is going to go against the legislation?

You might not even have to have all the things I have described in place but you could still find yourself in a very sticky situation.
    Thanks for reply CJ
    I'd like to think that a Garda who would happen on Ivan poppin away at his bag of sand would use his discretion,although i wouldnt be at all surprised if Ivan and the terrorist training camp was the result either!!in which case a lot of ppl would be in trouble,incl me
    A bit of legislative cop on is badly needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It is a necessity that all rifle owners check and maintain their zero's as its unfair to live targets and as such a shooter not acting with due care or responsibility could be leaving him/herself open to charges of cruelty for knowingly taking bad shots at any animal.
    I agree, its very important. And I also agree, that it's not fair, (or legal at this point), to force somebody to make use of a range for the purpose of zeroing.

But, if this is the line of defence you take. Then the other side applies also. A rifle owner doesn't need a dedicated strcture to zero his rifle from time to time.

If he wishes to have one, he can use a dedicated (and approved) range, if not he does what every one else does.

Advertisement