Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too old?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

My vet approached me for help rehoming an old cat (13/14). Her owners are moving and she can't go with them. She is in perfect health but they wanted to have her PTS. My initial reaction was anger, thinking how could they do that etc.

Someone did mention to me then that it would be very difficult for a cat that age to settle elsewhere and the cat might be better off PTS. I wanted to get opinions here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I came across someone on a cat forum once who only adopted OAP's, so it must be possible.

My late cat was 10 and a half when we moved house and after a week or so of stress, she really loved it and was happier in her new home than in the old one, so they can adjust to new situations at any age. Of course, she didn't have new people to get used to.

Can't understand the disposable mentality of some people though - I would have my animal's welfare as the first consideration in any move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Awh that's really sad for the cat, poor thing. I too have heard it's hard to rehome them as they run away ?

But as blueprint said it is done, so maybe the running away is a misnomer.

Hope she finds a nice place to live out her days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Helen, I've three cats ranging from 7 to 18 and have moved a number of times over the last few years. The cat will be quite all right in a new home after a week or two. And wow, how can people be so quick to euthanize their healthy pet??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

For a cat that's old but not ancient, some older cats to react badly to change and can become unsettled but generally with an understanding owner and a nice comfy bed and nice food they settle in well.
    One of my cats lived until she was 18 many peoples cats live a lot longer, she only became dothery in the last year of her life, she was deaf for the last couple of years but other than that she was in great health at 13/14 she was still like a kitten. If anything older cats are so much easier they just sleep a lot and play a bit and want the odd cuddle.

Did you take on the cat in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks for the answers. Fatmammycat, they are moving abroad but I still find it hard to swallow. I mean, they must have known they were going for a while, plenty of time to look for a home.

I haven't taken her on yet, she is still with the owner. But I have said to the vet that if they do bring her in, to call me, I live across the road so can run over & collect her if the "owner" is happy with that. I don't want to have to as my home is not suitable for another cat, especially not an old one. :( So if she should be ok being moved around, I'll try rehome her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

She would be fine being rehomed in principle, but older cats can have health issues depending how they've been cared for - renal failure is a big one. Most people who are willing to adopt an older cat understand that and can budget for potential vets bills and medications. Saying that if she's reached 14 without problems she may be in fine health.
    I take on all of my cats on the assumption of a 20 year commitment - if I'm lucky to have them that long.

Advertisement