Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, 23/06/2009, 15:00 and I've decided to give up smoking.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I took a long drag off a friends cig yesterday, due to desperation, and I nearly got sick... Funny how things change so quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

ok long pause................Im still clean, update when you're ready

Clean. With the exception of one or two puffs to remind myself I don't want them.

I've starting jogging now and I'm addicted to that instead. I don't see a point in smoking and jogging as it will just balance eachother out. Also jogging has alot of upsides compared to smoking :P

I bought a very good pair of running shoes with my non smoking money too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Spurs101!

Smoked first 1 in 2 weeks last night after a night on the beer

I was really craving for 1 all week (hated the smell from someone coming in after a smoke but found myself loving the waft of smoke when passing someone on the street)

After two weeks without a single 1 but gave in last night around 2am. It didnt do for me what I was expecting - really didnt get anything from it, I was expecting a real buzz but it didnt do anything for me. Pretty disgusted at the time but I dont think it will big effect going forward - kinda glad I got to experience how little smoking one does for me.

Hope everyone is getting on ok.

BTW - constantly eating or looking for something to eat.

• Advertisement

I find myself eating a good bit too, but I'm eating lots of fruit and the likes which I never normally eat:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 alphamale 1

well done but its so hard but the important thing about stoping from my experiences of trying to give up, is that NEVER, NEVER go back to buying packs again as even if you only have 1 if you are out on the beer then at least next day you won't be tempted to smoke the remiader of the pack. That is another down side to the abolition of the 10 pack. I have tried to give up a few times but i think i like them too much when im out even though I mite only have one cigarette on a nite out. I usually would not smoke during the week. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sahs1

Hey there! Sounds similar to my reasons for stopping. Feel kind of lonely about the decision, my friends are smokers, so I chose to quit while they were away on hols! Luckily no one in work smokes! I usually tell everyone I have quit (on the many prior attempts!). This time is different. I have started to run in races and have hired a personal trainer (can afford one with fag cash!). Once I can stay focused and see the cig for what it is and what it has reduced me to, I will never smoke again.

So I quit on the 4th of July! Its been tough, I'm cranky, on edge and talk like a loon! (non stop) Waking up at 4am! Instead of stuffing myself I am drinking copious amounts of tea, decaff coffee and a calming tea, that I can't spell! I take 1000mg of vitC and some other herbal stuff for calming, which I forgot to take for two days...maybe thats why I am climbing the walls!!!!

My running has improved, so I am hanging on to that bonus. I love that I don't stink anymore of cigarettes. I love filling my lungs with clean fresh air!!!!

Oh boy though at the mo, I just feel like screaming and kicking the crap out of an inanimate object.....will do a hundred sit ups instead!!!:(:):mad:

Masses of luck to you and weldone for leaving the sinking ship! Now wouldn't we both be dopey to get back on!!!!!!:)

I also bought a pair of super duper runners!!!!!!!!

IrishSerf wrote: »
    Good site but won't help me much 'cos I can't find the "I've been off cigs for two weeks now, but I really need help! or I'm gonna kill someone" section.

They are lovely aren't they? NO NO NO NO NO iwillwiniwillwiniwillwiniwillwiniwillwiniwillwin
    Lol!!! I am in that particular section... bashing the be jaysus out of a log will do...would love to go to screaming rock in Kilarney, and scream my loaf off!

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    how is it going ? ..... still off them anyway and its nearly 3 weeks - still do spend alot of time thinking about them.

how is everyone else getting on?, havent really noticed any real difference - dont feel much better, easier to breath /run etc ........

When do you forget about them ? (if ever)

Got this on stopsmoking.ie where you just enter your details and it gives you the following
    Hi ***! You quit 2 weeks, 6 days, 8 hours, 7 minutes & 42 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 203 cigs, saved EUR 85 and added 16.92 hours to your life.

I've smoked the odd one or two, not a whole lot. I haven't bought twenty yet, although I feel it coming on very very soon :o

Temptations are killing me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

Hi You! You quit 1 month, 1 week, 2 days, 2 minutes & 3 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 468 cigs, saved EUR 198 and added 1.63 days to your life.

Still off them but getting the odd pang. Looking at everyone that I see smoking and wonder can they really be enjoying that?... just to encourage myself. Gotta give them up sometime, this could be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

keep it up I`m a smoker and need to do the same....thoughts of it is a real killer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Hi there all,

On my 8th day, nearly climbed up the walls this morning wanting one.
    The gym has been my saving grace though and the cravings DO lessen as the hours pass.

Hi MissFluff! You quit 1 week, 1 day, 9 hours, 47 minutes & 8 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 210 cigs, saved EUR 89 and added 17.50 hours to your life.

One side effect I am curious about, a couple of ex-smoker friends agree that it happens. I've become a lighweight when it comes to the booze!!:oDon't have the capacity I normally would have at all, and I am finding the vino is going straight to my head!!! Any ideas why this would be the case?

Well done to all who are fighting the good fight by the way, there are some really great people on this forum, nice to have the support. Please remember to keep checking on www.whyquit.com as I find it a great thing to read when reaffirming why I quit in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    One side effect I am curious about, a couple of ex-smoker friends agree that it happens. I've become a lighweight when it comes to the booze!!:oDon't have the capacity I normally would have at all, and I am finding the vino is going straight to my head!!! Any ideas why this would be the case?

I would wager that you have not become a lightweight but rather (imo) are drinking faster than usual and are missing the regular 5-10 minute break for a fag and the fresh air. Whenever I was drinking at an occasion where I couldn't or wouldn't smoke (like a family wedding) I was the same as what you describe above.

I've been meaning to give up for ages. Yesterday I ran outta fags but just didn't bother buying a new pack and think I'm going to go for it. I had my last one at 9pm yesterday. The first 72hours are the worst I hear?

Mind is starting to tempt me, 'just one', 'earned one'...

Advertisement