Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC & Setanta

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Hopefully spike dont get many more. It really was too much

Spike always have shown The Ultimate Fighter finale live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Who shows the ppv's for the ufc in the us?

I know spike show the tuf series/finale etc, i meant hopefully they dot start doing that with main events, ufc 100 etc, maybe its just the fact that i despise ads i general

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Who shows the ppv's for the ufc in the us?

A number of PPV providers. They'll never air ads during PPVs in the US. If Setanta do air any ads during a PPV show (if they're still around) then they won't be over entrances or between rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I see that all the Setanta logos are gone from the ufc uk site.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Yeah looks like UFC 100 aint on Setanta anyway. http://uk.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=event.Calendar&month=1

• Advertisement

If Setanta have lost the UFC then that is my subscription cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Apparently Setanta Ireland is still going to broadcast, but I'd say the chances of any more UFC programming are slim.

I really don't want Sky to get it and start charging for PPVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

ESPN have bought the premiership rights, so I'd expect one of the major sports channels to go for it. Or maybe back to Bravo :D free UFC again would be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I dont think I could face the prospect of those Bravo ad breaks again

ESPN have bought the premiership rights, so I'd expect one of the major sports channels to go for it. Or maybe back to Bravo :D free UFC again would be awesome.

Constant ad breaks and edited. No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

UFC have confirmed that they have cut ties with Setanta. Bye bye Setanta subscription.

http://www.ifight365.com/2009/06/ufc-terminates-agreement-with-setanta-sports/

Yup. So long Setanta.

Can you get ESPN on NTL or is it only on Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

ouch! At least they confirmed us irish fans won't miss a show, hope we can still see it live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/gareth_a._davies

This suggests Sky and Channel 5 (jesus no!) are in the running for the rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

If channel 5 get it, it would be free viewing. Surley not a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Not available on ntl though. I hope virgin get it.

Jason Mc wrote: »
    If channel 5 get it, it would be free viewing. Surley not a bad thing?

Not for everyone. Is it on Sky Digital?

Also Channel 5 is pretty sleazy.

rovert wrote: »
    Not for everyone. Is it on Sky Digital?

Also Channel 5 is pretty sleazy.

If it was 1999 then yeah i'd agree. It has changed a lot since then. It is available on Sky Digital but it must be tuned in manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

so now setanta are not answering their phone lines - just a recorded message that due to uncontrollable circumstances blah blah & they will rectify the problerm asap - yeah right, setanta are in the absolute ****ter and they want to screw the very people who supported them so far

• Advertisement

cmb. wrote: »
    they want to screw the very people who supported them so far

Why would they want to screw anyone. I presume they are heading for administration, unless an alternative is found.

I'd say they are being hammered on the phone lines with people wanting to cancel and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I am actually still a Setanta subscriber and the reason was UFC, but now.....................
    THE UFC have hammered another nail in Setanta's coffin by tearing up their TV deal.

UFC programming has been broadcast live on the sports channel since January 2008.
    But with the Irish firm on the verge of slipping into administration, the world's No1 mixed martial arts group had little choice but to walk away.
    Marshall Zelaznik, president of the UFC's UK division, said: "It was with great regret that we ended the relationship with Setanta.
    "Over the last two years, Setanta has helped the UFC become the biggest indoor sporting event in the British Isles.
    "They were the right partner for us at the right time as we continued to build the sport of mixed martial arts and our brand.
    "Throughout the last few weeks we have been kept informed of the situation at Setanta.
    "Therefore, we are in a position to ensure our UK and Eire fans will not miss any of this summer's huge UFC events — commencing with UFC 100 in July.
    "We will be announcing the new home of UFC shortly but assure our fans they won't miss any of the upcoming super-fights."
    Zelaznik added: "On behalf of the UFC I want to wish the team at Setanta all the strength to get through what must be very difficult times.
    "We have worked very closely with the entire Setanta team over the past years and wish them the best of luck in the future."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/ufc/2496045/UFC-call-time-on-Setanta-tie-up.html

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

such a shame setanta is on its way out.
    They gave great coverage to the UFC,with TUF repeats,ultimate talk and showing the events for free,after paying teh subscription you didnt have to pay anything else like sky box office were ,even with the sky subscription youve to pay a box office charge to view it which wasnt the case with setanta.

Fingers crossed they can pull themselves back from the brink and become sucessful again but its not looking good.

davmol wrote: »
    such a shame setanta is on its way out.
    They gave great coverage to the UFC,with TUF repeats,ultimate talk and showing the events for free,after paying teh subscription you didnt have to pay anything else like sky box office were ,even with the sky subscription youve to pay a box office charge to view it which wasnt the case with setanta.

Fingers crossed they can pull themselves back from the brink and become sucessful again but its not looking good.

I agree, Setanta was the perfect platform for UFC. All the shows were live and they had well time repeats for anyone who couldn't watch live.

I liked Setanta overall, their coverage of the US Sports too. But €20 a month for US Sports is too much for me, i'm off!

Its official, Setanta UK in administration. Irish unit will probably continue

dunkamania wrote: »
    Its official, Setanta UK in administration. Irish unit will probably continue

Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

That's a page from April 9th.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement