Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC & Setanta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

UFC was the reason I subscribed. I thought they did a fine job of it.

/ Runs off to cancel Setanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

It's a real shame. Everyone is manning the lifeboats asap and rowing away from the Titanic that is Setanta. They are truly, utterly screwed here from where I'm looking.

Is it too much to hope for that UFC 100 will a) be broadcast live and b) not be PPV?:o

According to their UK president it will be on some chanel. He's quoted in one of those articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sad news.

Hopefully UFC will find a good new home.

Some interesting stuff - Setanta UK website vs Setanta Ireland website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Setant sports news, Setanta Golf and Setanta 2 have stopped broadcasting at 6 o'clock tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

If there is a bright side to this , maybe if it doesn't go to sky it will mean folks wont have to pay a setanta sub and get to see events for free

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jughead202

same reason i subscribed to it as well:confused: were will ufc go now? and how much to veiw?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

jughead202 wrote: »
    same reason i subscribed to it as well:confused: were will ufc go now? and how much to veiw?

ESPN? Seeing as they appear to be moping up rights for other lost Setanta broadcasting packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

jughead202 wrote: »

Possibly back to Bravo, or maybe Virgin(they had TUF series).

Theres even talk of channel 5, which I don't believe is available in south of Ireland. NUTS tv had some MMA in past, but the 2 or 3 times I've watched anything on it has been pretty grim.

Apparently Setanta was getting figures of 250k watching live events....which aint bad considering the time live events are broadcast. ESPN took over the premier league coverage so could see this as another opportunity to build up there new channel's live coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I hope they let us know fairly quickly where they are moving to. I need peace of mind.

PS. The hassle I just had canceling out my setanta sub was almost inhumane.

PS. The hassle I just had canceling out my setanta sub was almost inhumane.

:confused: why not just cancel your direct debit? D'oH! seems very easy to me!

Devastator wrote: »
    :confused: why not just cancel your direct debit? D'oH! seems very easy to me!

LOL...Yeah, I suppose, Didn't think of that. I think in a way I was itching to let them know how dissatisfied I was.

LOL...Yeah, I suppose, Didn't think of that. I think in a way I was itching to let them know how dissatisfied I was.

I'm sure whatever staff member of setanta you got speaking to really cares at this stage......think about it, they've all been made redundant! I wouldn't think customer service is very high on their priorities right now.

TBH I'm surprized anyone did answer :eek: maybe just the care taker feeling important :D

I'm sure whatever staff member of setanta you got speaking to really cares at this stage......think about it, they've all been made redundant! I wouldn't think customer service is very high on their priorities right now.

TBH I'm surprized anyone did answer :eek: maybe just the care taker feeling important :D

Yeah, I actually got that feeling about 40 seconds into the call. lol. I felt bad actually when I though about having rung to give grief. (though I never did)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

this is absolutely not funny - I need peace of mind also or I'm likely to rob a bank and go to vegas for the fight
    I'm going to check this thread in 3 min time and if someone hasnt offered a contingency plan for me watching Brock annihalating Mir and a nuclear war between GSP and Alves then I'm going down in a blaze of glory trying to rob me local AIB with bandana and a plastic fork dog day afternoon styly

soretoe wrote: »
    this is absolutely not funny - I need peace of mind also or I'm likely to rob a bank and go to vegas for the fight
    I'm going to check this thread in 3 min time and if someone hasnt offered a contingency plan for me watching Brock annihalating Mir and a nuclear war between GSP and Alves then I'm going down in a blaze of glory trying to rob me local AIB with bandana and a plastic fork dog day afternoon styly

Wait for meeeeeeeeee....I'm coming too. We'll swing by An Post aswell.

think you two need to take a deep breathe and relax :D

Sure it was only 2 days before UFC 99 when news broke about setanta possibly going off air and Dana White stated that the event would be broadcast live, either on setanta or bravo. So with few weeks left before a much more important night I'm positive it'll all be sorted.

Not that I'll get to watch it whatever channel it ends up on cause I've a wedding to goto that day, with the usual early drinking start at any wedding I'll be in no state to tell the difference between GSP and Lesnar :eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

i wouldn't get too worked up about the t.v. coverage of ufc 100.there are plenty of websites that will stream it live (and for free)

hotspur147 wrote: »
    i wouldn't get too worked up about the t.v. coverage of ufc 100.there are plenty of websites that will stream it live (and for free)

Streaming is stealing and is detrimental (sp?) to the sport.

• Advertisement

“Throughout the last few weeks we have been kept informed of the situation at Setanta and therefore we are in a position to ensure our U.K. and Eire fans will not miss any of this summer’s huge UFC events, commencing with UFC 100 in July.

“We will be announcing the new home of UFC shortly, but assure our fans they won’t miss any of the upcoming super-fights."

full story...

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9034&zoneid=13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

cheers devastator
    pphhhhhhheeewwwwww - roll on UFC100 party - and this time I don't have to feel sad for the loser (Randy last time)- I'll just shake my head and snigger at the rediculous money based choice Frank has made to get into a closed cage in a full pro rules mma fight with ....ahem....only Brock Lesnar - I hope he reads this and realises the folly of his ways and cries himself into a stupor and then blabbers down the phone to Dana "oh Dana pleee-hee-hee-eease release me from my Brock contract - I don't want to dieeeeee."
    aaaaahhhhaaahahahahahahahahahahaha ....muah....ha haa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

cheers devastator
    pphhhhhhheeewwwwww - roll on UFC100 party - and this time I don't have to feel sad for the loser (Randy last time)- I'll just shake my head and snigger at the rediculous money based choice Frank has made to get into a closed cage in a full pro rules mma fight with ....ahem....only Brock Lesnar - I hope he reads this and realises the folly of his ways and cries himself into a stupor and then blabbers down the phone to Dana "oh Dana pleee-hee-hee-eease release me from my Brock contract - I don't want to dieeeeee."
    Kinda like the last time they fought.....oh wait.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

and this time I don't have to feel sad for the loser (Randy last time)- I'll just shake my head and snigger at the rediculous money based choice Frank has made to get into a closed cage in a full pro rules mma fight with ....ahem....only Brock Lesnar - I hope he reads this and realises the folly of his ways and cries himself into a stupor and then blabbers down the phone to Dana "oh Dana pleee-hee-hee-eease release me from my Brock contract - I don't want to dieeeeee."

Going by that then this means Frank Mir has already died after their last meeting. Oh wait no, Frank Mir didn't lose at all did he.

cheers devastator

It's posters like this that make me hate on Lesnar. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Apparently Setanta was getting figures of 250k watching live events....which aint bad considering the time live events are broadcast.

They never did that high a rating. That would be crazy. The ratings for live shows were impressive though, I think hovering around 40-60,000 for some recent shows. The Fight Night last weekend did in the mid-20 thousands

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

WWE Raw on Sky Sports does around 60,000 on the Thursday show I think which is the one most people would watch which I think shows that a lot of people mainly subscribed to Setanta for UFC

Fozzy wrote: »
    They never did that high a rating. That would be crazy. The ratings for live shows were impressive though, I think hovering around 40-60,000 for some recent shows. The Fight Night last weekend did in the mid-20 thousands

Considering the majority of them (bar the European ones) started at 2:AM in the morning that's quite impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Kazooie wrote: »
    Considering the majority of them (bar the European ones) started at 2:AM in the morning that's quite impressive.

3am, even more impressive.

• Advertisement

Central European Time ;) none of this GMT crap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement