Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC & Setanta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

ESPN are launching a new subscription package in the UK and Ireland. They will have more or less the same material as Setanta had. According to the Telegraph this may include the UFC and World Championship Boxing.

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/5622256/ESPN-to-set-up-new-channel-for-live-Premier-League-matches.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Fozzy wrote: »
    They never did that high a rating. That would be crazy. The ratings for live shows were impressive though, I think hovering around 40-60,000 for some recent shows. The Fight Night last weekend did in the mid-20 thousands

millions of gromless folk watch a group of people secured inside a box.....some even watch live coverage of them sleeping throughout the night......250k doesn't seem too unrealistic :D

Im not sure, but I did read that in an article last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Hellsing wrote: »
    ESPN are launching a new subscription package in the UK and Ireland. They will have more or less the same material as Setanta had. According to the Telegraph this may include the UFC and World Championship Boxing.

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/5622256/ESPN-to-set-up-new-channel-for-live-Premier-League-matches.html

It wouldnt be such a large loss losing setanta if ESPN carried over the UFC events,bunceys boxing hour,Ultimate talk and any future TUF series,they were the main reasons i subscribed to setanta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

davmol wrote: »
    It wouldnt be such a large loss losing setanta if ESPN carried over the UFC events,bunceys boxing hour,Ultimate talk and any future TUF series,they were the main reasons i subscribed to setanta

I doubt that you would see Ultimate Talk and Bunceys Boxing Hour. They were Setanta sports News productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I doubt that you would see Ultimate Talk and Bunceys Boxing Hour. They were Setanta sports News productions.

I understand that,i was just wishing out loud.Id rather see buncey and Alan kerr having banter with eachother than a loud american spitting at me,then again who knows it might be a better broadcast.Also,Ultimate talk was more geared towards UK MMA and irish,like the bit they did on Tom egan i just hope a US station on ESPN would give a balanced coverage of MMA and not just from the US.time will tell I suppose

• Advertisement

on the boxing forum is a thread about some petition setup to save the Bunce's boxing hour :D

Maybe (IF) ESPN do take over UFC coverage they will have something similar.....like ULTIMATE CHAT :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Devastator wrote: »
    on the boxing forum is a thread about some petition setup to save the Bunce's boxing hour :D

On a similar note poor James Richardson.

With running UK so often as they do, having so many UK fighters and there seems to be another USA vs. UK TUF UFC does need localy based/focused programming.

rovert wrote: »
    On a similar note poor James Richardson.

the football 'pundit'? I never liked him, even when he was on channel 4 doing football italia. Wonder if any other broadcasters will see sense and snap up Craig Burley as commentator, he made sense(at times) and wasn't afraid to sit on the fence like 99.9% of other so-called experts. Easily better than an awful lot of the others out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Just like I said weeks ago, Setanta today also blame the dodgy box

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

T-K-O wrote: »
    Just like I said weeks ago, Setanta today also blame the dodgy box

Where did they say that? It's easier for them to blame outside factors than themselves though. Did they give figures to back up that point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

soretoe wrote: »
    cheers devastator
    pphhhhhhheeewwwwww - roll on UFC100 party - and this time I don't have to feel sad for the loser (Randy last time)- I'll just shake my head and snigger at the rediculous money based choice Frank has made to get into a closed cage in a full pro rules mma fight with ....ahem....only Brock Lesnar - I hope he reads this and realises the folly of his ways and cries himself into a stupor and then blabbers down the phone to Dana "oh Dana pleee-hee-hee-eease release me from my Brock contract - I don't want to dieeeeee."
    aaaaahhhhaaahahahahahahahahahahaha ....muah....ha haa

In case you've just started following the ufc

http://uk.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventdetail.fightCard&eid=1024

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

soretoe wrote:
    cheers devastator
    pphhhhhhheeewwwwww - roll on UFC100 party - and this time I don't have to feel sad for the loser (Randy last time)- I'll just shake my head and snigger at the rediculous money based choice Frank has made to get into a closed cage in a full pro rules mma fight with ....ahem....only Brock Lesnar - I hope he reads this and realises the folly of his ways and cries himself into a stupor and then blabbers down the phone to Dana "oh Dana pleee-hee-hee-eease release me from my Brock contract - I don't want to dieeeeee."
    aaaaahhhhaaahahahahahahahahahahaha ....muah....ha haa

WWE fans lol

On the plus side for me, Setanta are showing it overseas, its only Setanta ireland that are busto

Setanta show the UFC overseas?

Mellor wrote: »

On the plus side for me, Setanta are showing it overseas, its only Setanta ireland that are busto

I think Setanta Ireland are still in business, its the UK part of the compant that went bust.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Setanta show the UFC overseas?

:confused: I thought(from everything I've read) that the UFC had cancelled its deal with setanta hours before setanta switched off.

According to the UFC website Setanta only ever showed their events to the UK and Ireland.

The only other countries Setanta broadcast to are the US, Canada and Australia I thought. And all of those will have the next UFC show on PPV, Australia on a day's delay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My buddy says Setanta 1 is still on air in Ireland (in addition to Setanta Ireland). I assume he is wrong?

Anyone any idea if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

gimmick wrote: »
    My buddy says Setanta 1 is still on air in Ireland (in addition to Setanta Ireland). I assume he is wrong?

Anyone any idea if this is the case.

Yeah SS 1 is still on the air in addition to SS Ireland. No idea what the story is there though...

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

The only other countries Setanta broadcast to are the US, Canada and Australia I thought. And all of those will have the next UFC show on PPV, Australia on a day's delay

each territory has its own tv rights real as far as setanta go - but they are not on setanta in those countries - us canada and australia all pay for ufc ppvs - unless they are in the military (through the armed forces network - then they get just about any major us ppv event for free)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Australia isn't on a delay. It's shown live.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Australia isn't on a delay. It's shown live.

Not for UFC 100. The PPV provider is showing a boxing match at that time. I can't remember the guy's name, but he's the biggest Australian boxing star and it's a title fight. So they're showing UFC 100 on the 13th, 14th and 15th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

quick update pls, where can one view the fights?

Jason Mc wrote: »
    quick update pls, where can one view the fights?

Nowhere legally yet

They would want to hurry up and announce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Im hearing Bravo, ESPN, SKY and Channel 5 are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Channel 5 would be a disaster. Sky does not carry that, does it?

unknown13 wrote: »
    Im hearing Bravo, ESPN, SKY and Channel 5 are interested.

But Channel 5 isnt in the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

They really need to get this done, I'm starting to wonder are we gonna miss out. Would be a disaster.

They really need to get this done, I'm starting to wonder are we gonna miss out. Would be a disaster.

We wont at worst UFC 100 will be shown on Bravo as a once off. It wont be like 2003.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

It would be shocking if it didnt make it onto the Tele. Jesus the timing is too perfect for this to happen at ufc 100 :rolleyes:

I never watch events on-line live, but Im sure there are sites streaming this? the quality would be rubbish no doubt though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement