Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC & Setanta

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

Devastator wrote: »
    think about it....

channel 5 is terrestrial in UK but unavailable in most of Ireland. So UFC sell UK rights to channel 5, knowing on ordinary tv that EVERYONE can receive will increase viewing figures massively for 1(maybe 2) years then switch to sky/ppv service when everyone is hooked.....when at same time doing a deal with a company broadcasting in Ireland(ie Setanta) to rake in more cash. Therefore increase popularity of the sport even more while thinking how they can profit vastly in future.

Anyone every read an article hinting that the guys in charge of UFC aren't money motivated? ;)

If I was in charge I would be thinking how to double up....not offer the package to a channel available in both countries

that is fine but it means people in england get it for free while ireland has to subscribe to the channel and pay extra to get it, if anything that would turn viewers off here

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I went through all the programming for every channel on the Skybox there and there is no sign of UFC 100 next Saturday night/Sunday morning?

I contacted Setanta and they said there is no way they will have the UFC next Sunday morning.

I cancelled my subscription.

They did say they would still have 79 PL matches though which surprised me as I thought they lost the rights for that???

Anyway, no UFC, so I am not paying for them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

They did say they would still have 79 PL matches though which surprised me as I thought they lost the rights for that???

I think they still have the rights to broadcast them in Ireland. They lost their UK rights

Fozzy wrote: »
    I think they still have the rights to broadcast them in Ireland. They lost their UK rights

Ah. Still. It's still the UFC that was the carrot for me though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Why do you have to cancel Setanta?

Are they still going to charge for it if you don't??

bret69 wrote: »
    Why do you have to cancel Setanta?

Are they still going to charge for it if you don't??

The only reason I subscribed to Setanta was for the UFC. Now that they have lost the rights to the UFC, there is not much point in keeping them. It costs me 30-40 quid a month. There is no point in paying them if I never use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭sockpuppets

virgin 1 are showing ufc 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The only reason I subscribed to Setanta was for the UFC. Now that they have lost the rights to the UFC, there is not much point in keeping them. It costs me 30-40 quid a month. There is no point in paying them if I never use them.

It was €18 a month on UPC and €21 a month on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

But I mean aren't the setanta channels gone? So how can they still charge?

• Advertisement

It was €18 a month on UPC and €21 a month on Sky.

Are you sure? I thought it was more. I am/was on Sky.

bret69 wrote: »
    But I mean aren't the setanta channels gone? So how can they still charge?

The channels are still there, well some are. They just have feck all decent programming on it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭irish fighter

virgin 1 are showing ufc 100.

how do you know this ?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Setanta in the UK is finished. In Ireland we still get the free on digital Setanta Ireland as well as Setanta Sports 1 and I think the Chelsea and Liverpool tv channels? Setanta Sports 2, Setanta Golf and Setanta Sports News are cancelled over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

LFC TV is still broadcasting in UK. The club are already sorting something else out for near future incase setanta stop everything

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Devastator wrote: »
    LFC TV is still broadcasting in UK. The club are already sorting something else out for near future incase setanta stop everything

I think they're trying to find someone who'll subsidise them like Setanta did, advertising revenue alone won't keep the station afloat. The talk is that ESPN are going to set up a similar setup to Setanta with a broad range of channels and a similar subscription fee. LFC TV could be one of these.

As a red I hope they'll pay the £2.5m a year that Setanta did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I think they're trying to find someone who'll subsidise them like Setanta did, advertising revenue alone won't keep the station afloat. The talk is that ESPN are going to set up a similar setup to Setanta with a broad range of channels and a similar subscription fee. LFC TV could be one of these.

As a red I hope they'll pay the £2.5m a year that Setanta did!

I think the club have been pleasantly surprized at the popularity(we are the most successful team in Englang,,,can it be that much of a surprize? ;)) of the station.

Yes, its had some repeats and isn't quite what maybe expected(compared to what other clubs have) but it is only about a year old and can only get better. I for one, have enjoy a lot of the programming, especially the academy programs. Fingers crossed LFC.TV will continue.....along with all UFV programming of course:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

thread closed, its served its purpose about setanta and the splt. the one thread on ufc 100 will attract people who dont want to read the same stuff they already know.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement