Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Before Renting is it law that you have a BER cert

• 23-06-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

HI
    I am searching for a new rental and I would say 95% of the properties I have looked at on Daft have not listed that they have a BER Rating, when I mail them and ask them what is the BER Rating they don't bother mailing me back.
    My question is:
    Is it now against the law for a landlord to rent a property out with out this?

Thanks
    :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

A BER is required when a property is being offered for rent.
    Obviously this is so prospective tenants can compare properties.

It seems this isn't being complied with though

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

Is nobody looking into this like a regulator or someone. whats the point it having been rolled out then nobody has to comply. I know it is great for buyers and you could demand to have it if you were buying a house.

thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jellab wrote: »
    HI
    I am searching for a new rental and I would say 95% of the properties I have looked at on Daft have not listed that they have a BER Rating, when I mail them and ask them what is the BER Rating they don't bother mailing me back.
    My question is:
    Is it now against the law for a landlord to rent a property out with out this?

Thanks

technically yes.....

the law states that a the person " [FONT=&quot]shall produce a printed copy of the BER certificate and advisory report in relation to the building to any person expressing an interest in purchasing or taking a letting of the building".......[/FONT]

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jellab wrote: »
    Is nobody looking into this like a regulator or someone. whats the point it having been rolled out then nobody has to comply. I know it is great for buyers and you could demand to have it if you were buying a house.

thanks

prospectus purchasers should be demanding it.... the purchaser holds the power....

The government, in their eternal wisdom, decided to put the remit for enforcing the BER requirement in the hands of a practically non-existent building control section of local authorities..... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Would you not find a house in area you really wanted to rent in first? . If you are seriously going to rent it then the landlord will propably get a BER cert. But right now there are so many idle properties out there with mortgages to be paid on them that the cost a BER cert is the last thing on a prospective landlords mind, he is finding it difficult enough to make his payments. A landlord can get a BER cert in a couple of days. If I were the landlord your references , where you are working and the state of your employment would be top priority as I would need a tenant who could actually pay the rent on time as agreed in the lease & the condition of the house you are about to rent would be my top priority ( not a BER cert ) that is only going to tell me what I already know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

where you are working and the state of your employment would be top priority as I would need a tenant who could actually pay the rent on time as agreed in the lease & the condition of the house you are about to rent would be my top priority ( not a BER cert ) that is only going to tell me what I already know.

The BER Cert is for the benefit of the prospective tenant looking for somewhere to rent NOT the landord...unless the house has an exceptional BER Rating which is rarely ever the case!!!

However if a landord put insulation in the attic, installed a new boiler, got double glazed windows....then you can be sure that the landlord would want to show off that his house is better than Joe Soap's next door...by having a BER Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

Thank you all for your comments. I did get a lovely house to rent with a great BER rating and for a few hundred less that what the landlord was getting last year.
    In my search for a new house, I found that it is a renters market not the landlords market anymore. A few landlords have over charged people for their rentals for a few years now and have highly benefited from it.
    The majority of landlords have been renting out squalors and getting away with it for too long.
    So it is now only fair that the BER rating has come into effect weather they can afford to pay for it or not and with a bit of luck there will be some regulation as to what can and can not be rented in the future.

Advertisement