Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock or Fallout 3?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a new game and I,ve narrowed it down to either Fallout 3 or Bioshock. I,ve decided these two because my internet connection is bad and I'm looking for a good singleplayer game.

I really like the look of Fallout 3 but my main worry is that it'll be really glitchy.

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what its like?

Basically Bioshock or Fallout 3?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Bioshock is very good.Youll probably get it cheap too nowadays..

Havent played Fallout

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

+1 for Bioshock.

Amazing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Both! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Having played both I would go with Bioshock. I got bored with Fallout. Bioshock has a far more compelling environment and story!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

both. But if you forced me to make a choice then Fallout 3. Both different games but Fallout 3 is much MUCH deeper.

Fallout was glitchy for me sometimes but once i installed it to the hard drive i never had a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Woah people... Fallout every time for me

Bioshock is a very atmospheric game with a great story but it quickly plays all its best hands in the first few hours and never really picks up from there. I'd definitely recommend renting it for a night or two but no more as it has no replayability after completing once.

Fallout is my favourite videogame experience this generation. It's completely open-ended, every side mission is worthwhile and lengthy, your decisions can have huge impact on the characters whilst the VATS system of battle is tremendous gory fun. Also the ongoing DLC keeps me coming back again and again, I've clocked up over 70 hours and still quite a few places to explore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Bioshock is certainly the cheaper option.
    But saying that i never played ether of them but, i seen them being played.
    Imo Fallout looks the better game, but i can't judge because i never actually played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gorilla

faceman wrote: »
    both. But if you forced me to make a choice then Fallout 3. Both different games but Fallout 3 is much MUCH deeper.

Fallout was glitchy for me sometimes but once i installed it to the hard drive i never had a problem.
    So if I install it to the hard drive then it'll be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Feck this is worse than Sophies Choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,352 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bioshock and then save for Fallout 3 game of the year edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I have both games but never really got into Fallout.

Bioshock is one of the best games I have ever played. You will not regret buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Both are great but fairly different games, ok both are FPS but Fallout is more of an RPG than a FPS but it is in real time an not that horrible take turns sillyness of Final fantasy. Bio shock is a straight up FPS with some great weapons a good story and a very enjoyable game but one you will finish fairly quickly a week or two of moderate game playing time.

But fallout may last a good few months i know i havent mine finished yet it can take anything from 40ish to 70ish hours to finish depending on your interest in doing side missions.

I would recomend Bio shock first finish it then trade it towards fallout as there isnt much point keeping bioshock.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 beefygrandmole

Retr0gamer wrote: »

i agree pick up bioshock now and wait for fallout goty edition it has all the downloadable content which adds about 40 hours of gameplay to the 80 or 90 on the disc it'salot cheaper than picking them up individually:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Bioshock is far shorter than fallout, but both are fantastic.

Both very different types of shooter, if you could call them that!
    +1 for getting both
    (as retrogamer mentioned, wait for fallout GOTYE, comes with all the DLC)

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

yes +1 for waiting for the Uber edition of fallout , will save you about 4000 ms points which is pretty steep when you think about it that way lol ,

But would be a much better experience if the expansions are preloaded from the start. Not that the game was any less of a game without them , but i did find they added to the experience and some of the stuff gained form them would have been mighty usful if i hadnt already finished.

As said either rent Bioshock or get it very cheap , its a great game imo but short 10-12 hours maybe? as opposed to the 110 ive put into fallout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Fallout 3 definietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Both amazing games,

Get both.

Like saying...Final Fantasy or Zelda. Both are epic and both should be played, no need to miss out :)

Though I'd get Bioshock first...as youll complete that in a nice 20hours or so.
    Fallout 3 will have you wandering around doing stuff for a month or so.

Bioshock also has the better ending...by far !

As someone said.. buy Bioshock first and save for Fallout GOTY edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Definitely get both...both are excellent games ..however Bioshock you'd only play it one or twice for the different endings whereas Fallout 3 is more open ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I'd go for Fallout 3,it's the most time i have ever spent on a single player mode. Never played Bioshock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Bioshock is great,the dark enviorments gave me a headache cus i was constantly squinting.

Fallout is a better game imo.Defo wait for the GOTY edition youl get Bioshock for 20 squid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Both are must buy titles.

And for under GBP30 for the two you've no excuse to pick the two up:
    http://www.thehut.com/hut/9993829.product
    http://www.thehut.com/hut/8630713.product

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Retr0gamer wrote: »

OP, this is the best advice you will receive on the thread.

Both games are genre defining imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

I would choose Fallout 3, one of the best games of 2008 and probably my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

calex71 wrote: »
    yes +1 for waiting for the Uber edition of fallout , will save you about 4000 ms points which is pretty steep when you think about it that way lol ,

wrong.

3 DLC's @ 800 MS points each = 2400 MS points.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Operation Anchorage
    The Pitt
    Broken Steel
    Point Lookout (out this week)
    Mothership Zeta (out next month)

Not sure which ones are in the GOTYE though....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd go with the other poster who said to get Bioshock and wait for the Fallout GotY edition. It's going to be the game plus all 5 DLC packs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

wrong.

3 DLC's @ 800 MS points each = 2400 MS points.

Nah, he's right. The game of the year edition will contain the game + 5 dlcs @ 800 each, which is 4,000!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i didnt know there were two more! dammit, just when i thought i could walk away from f3...it pulls me back in.....AGAIN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Me too. I had it traded as I'd done everything I could stomach. Going to wait to buy it again once both new DLCs are out.

Advertisement