Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I reduce size of pictures for e-mail?

• 23-06-2009 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

I'm a novice at this digital camera lark. I need to send photos of a house I'm selling to an Estate Agent. I have the photos on my computer and know how to send them as e-mail attachments to the Estate Agent.

My problem is that they are too big and need to be reduced down to about 300X400 (or ever so slightly bigger), and I don't know how to do that.

How do I do that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭clive_odonohoe

do you have photoshop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

Try downloading Irfan Viewer - (you'll find it in google)

Its free, very easy to use and a very small app.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Don't bother downloading software.
    Open the images in Paint.
    Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint
    If you're on Vista just type Paint into the search box.

Open you first image.
    It'll be too big to show.

On the menu click "Image" and select "Attributes"
    Note the resolution in Pixels. It'll be something like 3000 x 4000.
    On the menu click "Image" and select "Resize/Skew"
    Change the percentage to something like 10%.
    This will make a 3000 x 4000 pixel image 300 x 400.
    Save the file as something else (Click "file" and select save as) and put it in another folder. Don't ever write the big file incase you need it again.

repeat with all of your files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Ok - check if your PC has Paint, Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint

Click on File > Open > OPEN YOUR PICTURE

Hit Ctrl+A

Hit Ctrl+W

Reduce the Horizontal & Vertical values to 50%, and see if that's small enough.
    If it's not small enough, just repeat the above steps.

Click on File > Save As > SAVE THIS FILE WITH A DIFFERENT FILE NAME OR IT WILL OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL.

HTH

EDIT - just pipped to the post :(

EDIT 2 - But faster than some, eh M.? lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

If you open the photos in Microsoft Paint, there's an option there to resize, its : Image > Stretch/Skew. This opens a dialog box that you can enter values in percentages, so you could try 25% in both boxes, then 'SAVE AS' and rename file to something else, ie. keeping the original intact. So if you have a file 2024*1800 then resizing to 25% and saving will dramatically reduce the SIZE (from MegaBytes to kiloBytes) of the file.
    Or.....if you need exactly 600*400, then divide 600 into the actual file size, eg 2024, so 600/2024 (*100) will give you a percentage, put this in the resize box above......phew !

Edit: pipped to the post too ;)

• Advertisement

Snap. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I suspect 5uspect is right ! :pac:snap:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

forget paint, http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe - download this and then right click, resize pics.

It's one of the Microsoft XP powertoys.

Hardly worth installing unecessary software just to resize a few images for an estate agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's only 521 KB attaches to windows. Well worth it for quick resizes for emal or web upload etc. as it's just a right click without having to open any applications and resize manually.

• Advertisement

Well it attaches itself to the windows shell. That's something I would find annoying.
    Default winrar setting for example.
    It's down to personal preference tho I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

I am in the middle of collecting pics for a re-vamped website and my web developer told me about the Windows plug-in that Steve mentioned - It's the business!! You don't have to have any application open, just open the folder with the pictures you want to re-size (or copy and re-size), highlight the images you want to adjust, select from a few size options and Presto!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I just love you people to bits: your instructions were clear and I managed to e-mail the lot to the EA!:D

Good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you're happy with standard sizes (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768) there's no need to install anything at all .. XP has support for this built-in.

Just right-click on the photos you want to email and select Send to> Mail recipient. It'll then ask you if you want to resize them (default is 640x480, click on Show more options.. to be given more choices of sizes). Click on OK and it'll open your default mail client and automatically add the resized photos as attachments.

All this is predicated on you using a proper email client rather than web based email though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

steve06 wrote: »
    forget paint, http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe - download this and then right click, resize pics.

It's one of the Microsoft XP powertoys.

As Steve says, this is the way to go.
    I have to take photos for work and upload them online, and using 3g 'broadband' file size is very important. I used to use Photoshop, but after installing this powertoy, I'd never use anything else. So easy, and quick.
    You can ctrl A all the files in a folder, right click and resize in a couple of seconds. Has literally saved me dozens of hours.

Forget about everthing else, and download the powertoy.

Advertisement