Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give me guidance please

• 23-06-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭

I have a tune that has

Bm,A,G and F#7 for the verses.

Can anyone advise on chorus and bridge chords/structure.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Hi Mulan,

There's a post here with some pertinent information for ya.

Your song is in the key of D/Bmin so my original post for you would have options on the following:

D, Dmaj7, Dmaj9, Dadd9 or Dsus
    Emin, Emin7, Emin9 or Esus
    F#min, F#min7, F#minb9 or F#sus
    G, Gmaj7, Gmaj9, Gadd9 or Gsus
    A, A7, A9, Aadd9 or Asus
    Bmin, Bmin7, Bmin9 or Bsus
    C#dim, C# half dim

If you want to try Banquo's suggestion of modulating to the sub mediant (very posh Banquo) you can try a chorus in F major

If you want to go for the Jazz buzz you can hit up stevejazzx.

For people that are having this problem regularly get our theory down. It's really not that hard for most stuff in the rock, indie, pop end of things!

Another tip is to try getting your hands on Rikky Rooksby's How to Write Songs on Guitar. Lays out some of the compositional tricks and forms in an easy enough way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

Just happen to have a guitar at hand while looking at the post, not quite sure how the G fits into the progression, could depend a lot on the style of music your playing and the style I would play. I find C# in many different variations would work well moving to Bm on to A then to E.

The best advise to give is to listen to how the move sounds in your head and train your hands to come out with the sounds on the instrument. Some times you got to go away from the instrument for a while and listen to how it sounds in your mind and store it there. What will often happen is you'll rattle out many chords searching for whats going on in your head and by doing that you forget whats in your head in the first place. Take your time, there's no rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

G fits in because it's the standard aeolian rock descent - think 'Sweet Dreams', 'While my guitar gently weeps', '7 Nation Aarmy'.

Could try Gx4 Dx2 F Sharp x2 Bmx4 Gx4 Dx4, verse again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

banquo wrote: »
    G fits in because it's the standard aeolian rock descent - think 'Sweet Dreams', 'While my guitar gently weeps', '7 Nation Aarmy'.

Could try Gx4 Dx2 F Sharp x2 Bmx4 Gx4 Dx4, verse again.

G fits in fine, but it doesn't appear to be a falling bass over standard root chord.
    C# doesn't really work (complete key chang); c# half diminsihed (m7b5) works better going to the 5th (f#dom7th).

Bridge could be bm7 // b7 // ) chorus) em7 // a#7th // a7th // dmaj (6/9) gmaj c#m7b5 f#7th
    (above is very similar bridge and chorus from chick coreas 'spain'.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Oooh, nice :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement