Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxing a car that is 6 months out of tax - been parked up

• 23-06-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Going home over the next few days to hopefully get a car back on the road, tax and insure it starting next month.

Car's tax expired in Jan shortly after I bought it and has been parked on the drive since. How does it work getting it taxed again without having to pay for the last 6 months tax.

I haven't transferred the ownership of the car to my name either. Will this make things harder? Any implications?

1st thing I'll be doing when I get home is try and sort all this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

first thing i would do is get it changed to your own name. then you need to get a form stamped at your local garda station declaring the car off the road. sorry i cannot remember now the number of the form its an rf something you should be able to get them in the station of you can download them far as i know off the revenue.ie site. there is a section at the bottom for the declaration do not sign that until your at the station as it needs to be witnessed by the garda far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

How long does it usually take to sign ownership over? I should have done this ages ago but kept forgetting :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You'll need to transfer ownership into your name first. You're not liable for tax before ownership was transferred to you, so you have two options:

1. Transfer ownership on the 1st July and pay tax from then. The downside here is that you won't be able to tax the car until the VLC comes back, approx 2 weeks.

or

2. Transfer ownership now, don't use the car on a public road before 1st July. You can then sign a declaration of non-use prior to the 1st July in the presence of a Garda and tax the car from 01/07. If you're happy to go to the motor tax office with the VLC and the signed & stamped form then you'll have a tax disc that same day.

Option 1 means I won't be able to drive the car until I get the VLC back?

I think I'll get onto the folks at home and see if they can get the ownership change sorted now. I'd like to have the car insured and taxed starting the 01/07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

jozi wrote: »
    Option 1 means I won't be able to drive the car until I get the VLC back?

Only the registered owner can tax a vehicle.
    I think I'll get onto the folks at home and see if they can get the ownership change sorted now. I'd like to have the car insured and taxed starting the 01/07

Well, we're into the last week of June now. I can't see the change of ownership being sorted before July, even it you sent the VLC tomorrow it could be anything between 2-4 weeks before it's changed.

I think the only possible way you could have it taxed by 01/07 is the get to previous owner to do it for you, if you know him/her. (It would need to be signed & stamped off the road since Jan)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement

That had crossed my mind. I do know him and I think I'll give him a bell.

Can I not tax it myself even if the car is still in his name? And what about the form to say the car has been of the road for the past few months, can I do that or does it have to be him also?

That had crossed my mind. I do know him and I think I'll give him a bell.

Here is the RF100A form, just fill it out with his details and get him to get it stamped in the Garda station. Maybe throw him €20 for his trouble.:D
    You can pay in cash at your local tax office or post it in with a postal order/cheque/credit card details.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Can I not tax it myself even if the car is still in his name? And what about the form to say the car has been of the road for the past few months, can I do that or does it have to be him also?

No, has to be in your name. Otherwise nobody would bother their holes changing ownership and the 'man' wouldn't know who to give the penalty points/fines too.:D

The owner has to get his signature witnessed by a Garda, so can't be you. Also, the tax disc will be posted to whatever address the car is registered too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Don't get the Guards to stamp the form if the car has ever been used on the Westlink plaza during its "off road" period. They have it on record. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Don't get the Guards to stamp the form if the car has ever been used on the Westlink plaza during its "off road" period. They have it on record. :eek:

All the Guard is there to do is witness your signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

All the Guard is there to do is witness your signature.
    Yes but if you signed a false declaration you are guilty of an offense, such as if the car was being used and you declared it not to be. This happened to my brother when received a parking ticket after declaring the car off the road. With the pulse system, ANPR, digitalized note books etc it is getting more difficult to dodge NCT and road tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Buffman wrote: »
    Only the registered owner can tax a vehicle.

I've taxed loads of cars I don't own. I find if you go into the tax office with Insurance cert, VLC and money they don't send you away too often

You could risk doing this in the original owners name if you aren't too worried about the possible ramifications. All the Gardai do is witness the signature on the form and I can't see too many people digging into 6 months missed car tax yet.

The easiest way to get the car on the road for 1st July would be to just tax it and pay the back tax. Don't have to worry about lying to the Gardai and if the car isn't big engined not too much money, but only if your desperate to get back on the road, and then do the change of ownership when you have tax.

Why did the seller not post off the change of ownership when you bought the car? They left themselves exposed, not doubting you honesty, to getting a lot of fines for the price of a stamp.

No way am I going to pay 6 months tax for when no one was using the car, thats just throwing away money.

He gave me the forms for change of ownership to fill out and post of. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what he has to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

you can go into motor tax office with change of ownership form and signed non use form in your own name, insurance, nct ect. they can give you tax disc and forward the documents for change of ownership on your behalf.

2 stroke wrote: »
    you can go into motor tax office with change of ownership form and signed non use form in your own name, insurance, nct ect. they can give you tax disc and forward the documents for change of ownership on your behalf.

Great I'll do that tomorrow or Friday then. And you just reminded me I have to book her in for NCT.

Went to the tax office this morning. I can tax the car, they'll send of the change of ownership forms and I will have to have the car insured before I can do all that.

Advertisement