Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

time to get a new pc or upgrade?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have a dell xps 710 & i'm having a bit of hassel running ARMA2 i've messed about with the settings ,latest drivers ,defragged etc. I've come to the conclusion my system is getting a bit dated. I think it's time for a new pc or upgrading a part the xps. Please let me know what you think as i'm no expert.My specs are below.
    Dell xps 710
    intel quad core 2.4ghz
    4g ram
    500g hard drive
    xp sp3
    dell monitor 22"
    creative x-fi extrememusic
    geforce 8800 gtx 756mb
    I think it come with 1000w power supply
    Would i be best getting another gtx8800 & running in SLI or is there something else in my set up that should be changed first.
    Thank you the help!!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Definitely don't think your system is outdated :)

You could pick up another 8800GTX to go SLI but not sure if ARMA2 supports it.
    You could always sell this card (get about €120 for it on boards) and upgrade to a GTX260/275/280.

What's the exact model of your CPU? QX6700? If so you can overclock this in the bios to about 3.2GHz with no issues.
    Also please give the memory specs...the default dell ram sucked as it was only 667MHz and CL5 timings. Only a little thing but they all improve performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 colwood

Go for sli and overclock your processor. Check the clearance sections at komplett and overclockers.co.uk. Dont forget to get yourself a good heatsink.

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz (OCZ Freeze Extreme)
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    6gb Ocz Platinum DDR3 1600mhz
    Zotac GTX 260 55nm sp216 factory OC 650mhz Sli
    WD Caviar Blacks Raid 0
    Creative x-fi titanium
    CM Storm Sniper
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme RT1366
    Corsair 850watt
    Microsoft x6 sidewinder

Vista premium x64

Advertisement