Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord still alive - I'm guessing

Options
  • 23-06-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭

My landlord may well still be alive, but he doesn't answer any contacts made by me. Since day 1 60% of work supposed to be on snag list has not been done and recently flood damage has not been repaired. he said it was in a court case where he's suing builder.
    Does anyone know where I start with getting things redressed ?
    If I get repairs/painting done, can this be subtracted from the rent ?
    Is stopping the rent a bad thing just to perhaps grab his attention ?
    Even crazier, can I sue him because I'm actually the one suffering from what he is actually suing about ?
    I know this can be done in Europe where the law is for the renter.
    I don't want to move because
    a) all new lets are 12 months and I might buy if I got a bargain
    b) all the bills, etc. are set up and i'd prefer to avoid all that hassle in moving
    Thanks in advance for all advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should contact Threshold for advice, or lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

Stopping rent is NEVER a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

There are so many rentals out there now a good percentage of the places will take 6month leases.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Paulw wrote: »
    You should contact Threshold for advice, or lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

Stopping rent is NEVER a good idea.

Disagree completly stop the rent until all issue have been resolved,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Disagree completly stop the rent until all issue have been resolved,

This is terrible advice. You only have rights and the higher ground if you are fully compliant. Keep your side of the bargain and use Threshold/PRTB to sort things out.

OP I take it you have a written agreement these issues would be addressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭jacool

Sadly there is only verbal !
    I have e-mailed Threshold so thanks for the advice.
    I would love to withhold the rent but won't - but would love to see if it would shake him from his inertia. Perhaps he's catatonic as he sees his nest egg rot.
    Will keep you updated in here.

• Advertisement

hi lads, with the advice on board I went to Threshold who told me that phone calls and e-mails aren't worth the paper they're printed on so I've gotten the landlord's address and will be sending him a list of issues and concerns, just the bare facts, no drama, and see where we go from there.
    more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jacool wrote: »
    will be sending him a list of issues and concerns, just the bare facts, no drama, and see where we go from there.
    more later.
    Send by registered post, or the landlord can deny they ever got the letter.

Hi all,
    The letter went off and has been received as my phone, her phone and the land-line at home have all been rung but I'm not answering as I've stated in the letter that I want a written reply as advised by Threshold.
    Feel free to wonder at how long that step takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

jacool wrote: »
    Hi all,
    The letter went off and has been received as my phone, her phone and the land-line at home have all been rung but I'm not answering as I've stated in the letter that I want a written reply as advised by Threshold.
    Feel free to wonder at how long that step takes.

why not answer and tell them to put the response in writing ? seems a more logicial approach.

Advertisement