Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade DELL Dimension 5150 with 2GB Memory

Options
  • 23-06-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hey I want to upgrade a Dimension 5150 with 2GB of memory:

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=A1534401

How can I find out if there is space for it in my system? I currently have 1024 Megabytes of Installed Memory.

Also is it difficult to connect the memory etc.? Do I have to remove the existing memory or can I add the new to it - so I have 3GB memory?
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    EDIT:

Just done some more research seems according to this website below I can have up to 8GB memory but would this be the best solution?

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%205150

This is the current layout of my memory accordind to Belarc Advisor:

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 512 MB
    Slot 'DIMM_3' is Empty
    Slot 'DIMM_2' has 512 MB
    Slot 'DIMM_4' is Empty

Just read that Windows Xp 32bit can only use 4GB Max. Was thinking of going up 2 or 3 GB? Would 3GB be worth it or would there be compatibility issues or anything?

So should fill the two empty slots with two 512 MB or should I replace the existing two with two 1GB memory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Better off to get 2x2GB of ram.
    It's so cheap now it's worth's it.
    Only thing if under 32bit you'll only see about 3.25GB of ram.
    If you're happy with this fair enough but why not go to 64bit?
    And you can put in the 2x 2GB and 2 x 512MB to give you 5GB in total under 64bit.

Of course you could just stick in 1x2GB stick and have 3GB with the other 2x512MB if you wanted to stay at 32bit.
    It will work fine. It's easy to put ram in..make sure to disconnect the power...touch the PSU to discharge any static in your body..and carefully align the slot on the dimm with the slow in the dimm slot. The dimm only goes in one way. You'll know when you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Better off to get 2x2GB of ram.
    It's so cheap now it's worth's it.
    Only thing if under 32bit you'll only see about 3.25GB of ram.
    If you're happy with this fair enough but why not go to 64bit?
    And you can put in the 2x 2GB and 2 x 512MB to give you 5GB in total under 64bit.

Of course you could just stick in 1x2GB stick and have 3GB with the other 2x512MB if you wanted to stay at 32bit.
    It will work fine. It's easy to put ram in..make sure to disconnect the power...touch the PSU to discharge any static in your body..and carefully align the slot on the dimm with the slow in the dimm slot. The dimm only goes in one way. You'll know when you look at it.

I don't think its worth upgrading to 64bit, maybe when windows 7 is released.

I have one last question, as I have two free slots - which would be better x2 1GB or as you said x1 2GB?

Here is a quote from crucial.com
    "you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance."

Thanks for your help.

yep..it sounds good till you realise it's a load of crap.
    Sure at the high end ddr2/3 it makes a differnet but it's miniscule.
    Get the 1x 2GB module. Guaranteed you won't even notice the differnence to running in dual channel.

Why the adversion to 64bit?
    I'm running vista 64bit and it runs perfectly with all my apps and games.

yep..it sounds good till you realise it's a load of crap.
    Sure at the high end ddr2/3 it makes a differnet but it's miniscule.
    Get the 1x 2GB module. Guaranteed you won't even notice the differnence to running in dual channel.

Why the adversion to 64bit?
    I'm running vista 64bit and it runs perfectly with all my apps and games.

My only aversion is that I don't have the money to upgrade to a 64bit OS at the moment. I might update at a later date.

Here is the memory I'm thinking of getting:

Will cost me 25euro including delivery.

Have you a link?
    The first link you provided will do your system grand and it's guaranteed to work without any problems.

• Advertisement

Have you a link?
    The first link you provided will do your system grand and it's guaranteed to work without any problems.

Sorry forgot to put in the link. It was just to the link in y original post.

Cheers thanks for the help.

Have you a link?

One last question, as long as I earth myself properly, don't do anything stupid and plug the memory in correctly there isn't any chance I'll damage anything / lose data?

I have read also in other threads in this forum of people worrying about dual channel memory configurations reducing performance. COuld this be a problem if I upgraded with 1 stick of 2GB?

My RAM was delivered today from crucial.com for 27euro.

Banged in just there. Was fine except for some trailing wires that were in the way.

Didn't speed the comp up as much as i thought it would but I'm still happy.

I'd recommend crucial.com definitely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    One last question, as long as I earth myself properly, don't do anything stupid and plug the memory in correctly there isn't any chance I'll damage anything / lose data?

I have read also in other threads in this forum of people worrying about dual channel memory configurations reducing performance. COuld this be a problem if I upgraded with 1 stick of 2GB?

I see you have it sorted anyway but is only if you already have dual channel memory kit and then put in a third stick that you might see a slight performance loss.

marco_polo wrote: »
    I see you have it sorted anyway but is only if you already have dual channel memory kit and then put in a third stick that you might see a slight performance loss.

So did I make the right choice with x2 1GB sticks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yep the right call. Now if you were to put in an extra 1GB it would slow down the overall memory speed a little bit because the ram is no longer in Dual Channel mode.

I presume that for some usage patterns that the extra 1GB would be more benefical than the extra performance from dual channel 2GB as it would reduce swapping between the disk and memory? While I touched on the subject in college some years ago I don't understand RAM caching and flusing strategies well enough to answer the question properly. Anybody got a good answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yes. Unless you were going to go 64bit there was not much point getting more.

MC

Advertisement