Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox scratching discs

• 23-06-2009 5:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

my second hand xbox arrived in the post on monday evening, spent most of monday night trying to get streaming working 'tween the sexbox and ubuntu and didn't actually throw any of the games in until tuesday.

5 o clock tuesday now, and both fifa 09 and mirrors edge (both new, bought them last week) are unreadable. I see some small little scratches, but nothing major.. is the xbox destroying the discs or is it some sort of fault inside the xbox that it just isn't recognising perfectly fine discs?

What are my options here, having gone the second hand route.. I heard from a friend when his xbox rrod'd that it costs 80 euro to have it repaired, is that right? is this 8 hours of xbox fun really all that I get to have before I have to bin the bastard or **** it off abroad for god knows how many weeks?

--edit

forgot to mention, xbox was completely horizontal the whole time there was a disc inside it. Disc was taken out and put in case immediately when it was changed, I am about as sure as I humanly can be that I didn't do any damage to these discs (or the console).

--edit

rang sexbox support and they mentioned I shouldnt have had it on the floor because the vibrations frmo people walking around might cause the disc to get scratched .. and then I realise that before I put it on the floor I had it resting on my gaming chair.. with inbuilt ****ing speakers which i had it connected to

*sigh*

on the plus side, it is going to work out cheaper for me to replace the games than it would have to have it shipped off for repair. And when enough time has passed that I no longer feel like quite as much of a jackass as I do now, I might even tell my friends about this and it will make a very amusing story for them

:/

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was the person that sold him the xbox. I was working absolutely perfect before I sent it. I played SF4, Fifa 09 and TR on it without any problems before I shipped it in an oversized box (also in its original box) with lots of bubblewrap/paper.

Just reading all of your posts, I'm certain that its the vibrations from the speaker from your gaming chair that did the damage. Xboxes are notoriusly finicky when playing. Any movement or vibration can scratch the disc. Stoopid gaming chair :(

On a brighter note, Smyths fix scratched discs for 4 euro or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aye, 4 euro.. plus 15-20 euro to get a bus up to smyths :)

that's how they get you!

--edit

just in case this thread should put anyone off dealing with futureguy on adverts, srsly.. xbox is in perfect nick, it all works great. The fault was entirely mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

this was on BBC's watchdog few weeks back, apparently it is a type of eroor a few have. They done tests and the vibration from say a book etc be dropped nearby can scratch the disks. So i'd say maybe jumping around (guitar Hero) or putting your feet up on thye table could cause problems. Maybe put the xbox on a shelf under the tv or maybe put DVD cases underneath the 4 corners could stop vibration transfer?

oh and according to watchdog, sexbox support won't accept responsibility!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I got my son a 360 a couple months back. It worked for one day before it started eating disks (3 in total). Brought it back and they replaced it and the disks with no problems. They did ask if it was on a wooden floor etc as the vibrations could cause the problems.

It never was on a wooden floor and the new one is in exactly the same place and we've had no problems.

danniemcq wrote: »
    this was on BBC's watchdog few weeks back, apparently it is a type of eroor a few have. They done tests and the vibration from say a book etc be dropped nearby can scratch the disks. So i'd say maybe jumping around (guitar Hero) or putting your feet up on thye table could cause problems. Maybe put the xbox on a shelf under the tv or maybe put DVD cases underneath the 4 corners could stop vibration transfer?

oh and according to watchdog, sexbox support won't accept responsibility!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

try and look up the bbc watchdog site i think they were looking for people with stories like yours, i'd get the link but at work i only have limited access

• Advertisement
Advertisement