Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gloss paint on wood

Options
  • 23-06-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Gloss Paint

Hi DIYERS

i have a question and hope you can help. I am painting a set of bare shelves with gloss paint. am i required to use an undercoat. can I not just put 2 coats of gloss on

prob a stupid question but i generally stay away from gloss paint where possible hence my lack of knowledge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Gloss Paint

Hi DIYERS

i have a question and hope you can help. I am painting a set of bare shelves with gloss paint. am i required to use an undercoat. can I not just put 2 coats of gloss on

prob a stupid question but i generally stay away from gloss paint where possible hence my lack of knowledge

It depends on the shelf material. If you bought proprietary shelving units then they are generally prepared ready for varnishing or painting. I have never tried gloss painting them, but I would think you'd need to apply a primer coat first. Then you could use an acrylic gloss paint (water based) that doesn't need an undercoat. If the units are bare softwood that you have made up from planed deal, then you will need to apply knotting to any knots, or the resin from them will bleed through the paint. Then primer and acrylic paint as above. Gloss paint doesn't cover well -- it's intended to be glossy, rather than cover what's under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

ART6 wrote: »
    It depends on the shelf material. If you bought proprietary shelving units then they are generally prepared ready for varnishing or painting. I have never tried gloss painting them, but I would think you'd need to apply a primer coat first. Then you could use an acrylic gloss paint (water based) that doesn't need an undercoat. If the units are bare softwood that you have made up from planed deal, then you will need to apply knotting to any knots, or the resin from them will bleed through the paint. Then primer and acrylic paint as above. Gloss paint doesn't cover well -- it's intended to be glossy, rather than cover what's under it.

Its just a plane wooden shelf! I take it the undercoat needs to be the same colour. Its just as well I asked I thought it could be white:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

from what I understand a primer is white unless you tint it with the colour you want the finish to look like! There's a special primer you can get for wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Sand wood and apply knotting, followed by 1 coat primer. Primer usually white.

Lightly sand wood and apply one coat undercoat.

Light sand again and apply a second undercoat

Then light sand again and apply coat of gloss paint.

Depending on how this coat drys another coat of gloss may be needed to bring up the gloss sheen.

Preperation as always is the key to a good paint finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Like C Eng says.

Don't apply gloss directly to bare wood...gloss has very little hiding power or coverage, it relies on the undercoats for it's underlying solidity and colour, the gloss only provides shine, hard edge protection and water repellance.
    Put on two coats of gloss if you want but you'll end up with a rough finish that will yellow in a matter of months and it'll still take as long to paint as it would have done doing it the right way.

• Advertisement

on a related note, what kinda sand paper would you use if you were sanding off a layer of emulsion paint from wood (skirting board)? (assuming you're going to varnish it up after)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

pog it wrote: »
    on a related note, what kinda sand paper would you use if you were sanding off a layer of emulsion paint from wood (skirting board)? (assuming you're going to varnish it up after)

It will break your heart to sand the wood back to a level you will be happy to varnish. Skirting board is particularly awkward to do even when plane given where it is. You would nearly be better off replacing the skirting and you can get them ready finished.

how much should that cost for a small-medium sized room?
    And sorry but what about a wooden door which I can't replace?!! Will I get an electric sander?

Advertisement