Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really giving it a go, wedding and beyond

Options
  • 23-06-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

I've been posting quite a bit here recently as I've decided to take the gym thing seriously. I'm getting married in 10 weeks and i'd love to lose a dress size by then but my real goal is my 30th birthday I want to be super fit by then which is a little less than 2 years away.

Currently I weight about 10 stone (I dont' have a scales at home) and i'm a size 12. I'd like to be a size 8-10 but much firmer, particularly the arms. I dream of Michelle Obama arms.

I'm going to the gym 2-3 times a week I'm going to try to up it to 3-4 times and maybe a bit of yoga or a short jog the alternate days.

My gym programme is arms and legs machines, ab exercises and 10 mins of interval training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My gym programme is arms and legs machines, ab exercises and 10 mins of interval training.
    Unfortunately most gym instructors will do what is best/easiest for THEM not YOU. So they dump people on machines instead of showing them correct form on proper freeweight exercises, i.e. dumbbells & barbells. Also people pay fees and get impressed with expensive looking machines, and feel it is value for money, when they could be far better off on a simple chinup bar. What are the ab exercises?, I would not bother with situps.

Check out www.stumptuous.com which is aimed at women, though there is no real difference between men & women when it comes to weight training it does tackle preconceptions & myths very well. Worth a look for lads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Really? Maybe I should get a couple of sessions with a personal trainer then?

I do 5 upper body machines and 3 lower body? And for the abs I do 3 sets of 12 crunches with a weight on my chest and 3 sets of 12 leg raises with a weight on my tummy and then some plank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Really? Maybe I should get a couple of sessions with a personal trainer then?

I do 5 upper body machines and 3 lower body? And for the abs I do 3 sets of 12 crunches with a weight on my chest and 3 sets of 12 leg raises with a weight on my tummy and then some plank.

Diet is your no. 1 priority for fat loss but the programme you have is unlikely to get your heart rate up and it's just your poor, bog-standard gym programme that instructors spew out.

Try the website rubadub mentioned, really good material on there. Also, check out a fitness log on here by Oryx - she is doing great work and exactly what all women who want to be in cracking shape should be doing!

Thanks for that I'm going to give crossfit a go for their 12 sessions and hopefully learn how to do stuff I can then do in my own gym. I'm working on the diet too i've pretty much cut out processed food and i'm trying to increase my protein and veg intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey AM,

Did you have a look at the zone diet. It really does work and you get to eat loads but just clean clean fresh food. We will get you there :D

• Advertisement

Is that the thing Jennifer Aniston does? I did have a look it seems to involve alot of forward planning which wouldn't make me very sociable. I'm keeping a food diary this week to try to track my problem areas. Although I want to lose a dresss size this summer I also want to keep it off and start a healthier lifestyle so I want to start things that are sustainable. I don't think a diet like that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

We can have a chat about it on saturday morning. It is surprisingly easy to manage this in socail situations and like others have pointed out the ability to hit your goal and have a healthier is very diet dependant.

The results you achieve, are directly proportionate to how well you eat. Trust me its alot easier than it may seem,

Ordering off a menu when you know what to look for is very simple.

Advertisement