Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lee Smith to Wasps - Gidley signs new Saints deal - Morrison Injury for Bulls

Options
  • 23-06-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭

Sky Sports wrote:
    London Wasps have continued their rebuilding process with the signing of rugby league international Lee Smith.

The 22-year-old will join Wasps in November on a three-year contract when his current deal with Leeds Rhinos runs out at the end of the Super League season.

Smith, who can play at full-back, winger and centre, has scored 42 tries in 88 appearances for the Rhinos and played in England's disappointing RL World Cup campaign.

Smith, though, is now relishing the chance to make his name playing the 15-a-side code.

"A move to London Wasps is a massive challenge for me, not only as a rugby league player moving to union, but also leaving Leeds for London," he said.

"Wasps are one of the biggest clubs in the Guinness Premiership and have some of the best players in England.

"The opportunity to train alongside players of such calibre with a coaching team of Tony Hanks and Shaun Edwards couldn't be missed.

"I have enjoyed some great success at Leeds Rhinos and Wasps were the obvious choice with their history of success in the Premiership and Europe."

Smith will join fellow summer signings Jason Hobson, Dan Ward-Smith, David Lemi, Steve Kefu, Tom Varndell, Ben Jacobs and Warren Fury at Adams Park.

And director of rugby Tony Hanks, who has taken over the reins from Ian McGeechan and added Trevor Woodman and John McCloskey to his coaching staff, has high hopes for Smith.

Hanks said: "Lee is a quality player who will again add strength to our squad for the upcoming season. While still only 22, he has developed an impressive CV already with Leeds and England in rugby league and we are excited about the skill set and experience he will bring with him.

"Working alongside someone like Shaun (Edwards), who has worked in both codes, will of course be a massive benefit to Lee and we look forward to welcoming him to the club in November."

What do we make of this? It was apparent that he was leaving Leeds but will a switch to Union be good for him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Sky Sports wrote:
    Matt Gidley has ended speculation over his future by signing a new 12-month contract to stay at St Helens for another season.

The former Australia Test centre has scored 37 tries in 84 appearances for the engage Super League leaders and created as many for winger Ade Gardner.

Gidley, who turns 32 next week, joined the club as a replacement for Jamie Lyon in 2006 and since then has proved himself a worthy addition to the Saints.

He said: "I have more than enjoyed my three seasons at St Helens and it is great to commit to a fourth.

"We have a fantastic blend of experience and talented youth and are very well placed to continue our record of success in Super League in the years ahead."

St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus said: "This is great news as Matt Gidley remains one of the top strike centres in the game."

"He is also a great clubman and a very positive influence on the promising young outside backs who are rapidly establishing themselves as first team regulars. It is good news all round."

Saints always seem to bring these good exports from Australia. One leaves and they move quickly to replace them.

I can never understand how Saints have the money to have such a talented 13 and even a star studded bench too...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Sky Sports wrote:
    Glenn Morrison faces another lengthy spell out after sustaining a cracked rib.

The Bradford Bulls vice captain has only recently returned from a 10-week lay-off due to a wrist injury.

The Australian second rower picked up his latest injury in his side's 44-18 defeat to St Helens on June 21, only his second match back.

"He's cracked a lower rib and popped some rib cartilage," Bulls coach Steve McNamara told the Bradford Telegraph & Argus.

"He's looking at four to six weeks out again and it's given him some horrendous pain. He is just totally gutted and, after everything else, is absolutely sick to the back teeth."

Bradford will also be without hooker Julien Rinaldi for the West Yorkshire derby at Leeds on June 26.

Rinaldi is awaiting the results of a scan on his foot but Wayne Godwin is close to making his return after four months out with a broken leg.

Great bloody news :mad:

One of only a few players we the Bulls have who is any cop and he gets injured again. Hoping for 4 rather then 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    What do we make of this? It was apparent that he was leaving Leeds but will a switch to Union be good for him?

No secret, only time will tell I guess....one thing's for sure he had a great future ahead of him at Headingley. I guess the Wasps thing is a shot in the dark. Where would they play him, is the major question. Sorry to see him leave, although I know his younger brother has signed for the leeds academy this week....so the conveyor belt keeps on rolling I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Well he's young which is good as it means that time is with him, plus he'll be working with Edwards who im sure can help him get to grips converting from League to Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

toomevara wrote: »
    No secret, only time will tell I guess....one thing's for sure he had a great future ahead of him at Headingley. I guess the Wasps thing is a shot in the dark. Where would they play him, is the major question. Sorry to see him leave, although I know his younger brother has signed for the leeds academy this week....so the conveyor belt keeps on rolling I guess...

Yep, been an 'open' secret for a few months that smith was moving to union. I hope he makes a success of it and ends up representig England.
    Probably a centre eventually but will start wing to learn the game. Learning from shaun edwards won't harm his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I can never understand how Saints have the money to have such a talented 13 and even a star studded bench too...

You and the rest of the Super League... I'm just glad that they are an honest team who never do anything like break the salary cap...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Probably a centre eventually but will start wing to learn the game. Learning from shaun edwards won't harm his career.

Yeah, I'd agree, and I guess if anyone can facilitate an easier transition to the lesser code;), it'll be Shaun' Vic Mackey' Edwards....

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

It seems Smith's main priority was to move down to London to be with his girlfriend and Wasps have provided him with that opportunity. Whilst it's a shame to lose a good player to Union he certainly isn't irreplaceable, even at Leeds. Kallum Watkins is every bit as good a player and will easily fill the void.

Shame for Morrison, must have crashed into a mirror delivery van. Losing a leader like him is the last thing the Bulls need at the moment.

Hats off to Saints they recruit well (damn them;)).

Advertisement