Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May be let go tomorrow need advice

Options
  • 23-06-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I overheard a conversation on the phone between my boss and the owner of where I work today, now I wasn't listening but he was speaking really loud on the other end of the phone so I heard bits of what he said.

There is history to this before I go any further. I am working there over a year now, prior to that I was in another job in a similar role but I left on bad terms as I hated the boss and found him a very unfair man, bully and scary person to say the least. A few weeks after I left I was accused of stealing money out of the place when I didn't, fought the accusation and that was the end of it, it almost went to court but in the end was struck out due to lack of evidence and false accusations. I should have known he would try this one as he did it to someone else before.

Anyway, I leave that job off my CV for obvious reasons but former employer went mental over me not getting in any trouble over his accusations. So to today, overheard the call and the owner telling my boss that I was in trouble for "embezzlement" on a former employer. I pretended I heard nothing and all was fine as if nothing happened, all the see you tomorrow normalities when I was heading home.

So, what should I do?. Should I just go into work tomorrow and face the accusations again and defend myself or should I take the bull by the horns now and ring boss or owner on either of their mobiles and tell them I know what is going on.

I have proof it was a load of rubbish by that bitter horrible man. I am also due to go on maternity leave in 3 weeks time so heavily pregnant, what should I do?.

I have an excellent employment record apart from that place so I cannot believe he has managed to get to someone again to ruin things for me, up to now I have been happy where I am working.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You're there over 1 year so unfair dismissal act are in full swing; on top of this you're pregnant which makes it even harder to fire you. Even if the accusations would be true it would not mean a whole lot in your new company. This is under two assumptions:

1) You have not done anything like this in the new company (i.e. don't matter what you did in the old one as they can only fire you for what you did in your current company)
    2) You was not specfiically asked to disclose/say where you worked before/if you had issues with embezzlement before in your interview.

If you are really worried just have a quiet word with your manager and say you've heard rumours about this guy trying to tie you down but I'd really avoid if possible. Honestly the current company will look at their record, they might look through their books another time but beyond that when they find nothing you should be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agree with what the last poster said.

You should do nothing unless they bring it up. The way rumours spread in this country, no wise manager believes anything unless they have proof.

For the future, though, you should not leave the bad job off your CV: lying on it can get you into trouble. Better to have the job on it, and a tame reason why you left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Very fishy to me.

It was no accident that you overheard. They are prob hoping to put the ****s into you so you will jump before you are pushed. Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op here, thanks for the replies, very helpful as I don't know where to turn. So, I was brought in for a meeting today about it and they said it to me and I told them what happened, the outcome and why I didn't tell them. I also informed them that I did seek legal advice, which I did, before I applied for any jobs after this about disclosing what happened to me and was told I have nothing to worry about and get on with my life.
    Owner asked for the name of my solicitor and said he would get his solicitors to contact mine. I was suspended until we meet on Friday but that was changed this evening to meet tomorrow at 12pm, so I just feel I am going to be let go. There is nothing to worry about as regards my work in there plus I don't actually deal with any money in there at all, write the cheques allright but owner signs them and I send them out once a month. They seemed more dissapointed that I didn't trust them enough to tell them but I wanted it put all behind me and never speak of that horrible man again who tried to ruin my life.
    Apparantly someone rang him and told him about it and I don't know who would do such a thing as I moved on with my life and don't know why anyone or how anyone would know this.
    If I am let go I won't be bothering with any unfair dismissal act, going to be on maternity leave anyway and was not planning on returning to work anyway (the childcare fees would not be worth my while working) but this is just so upsetting and stressful to go thru when I am weeks away from having another baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am weeks away from having another baby.
    The timing is very suspicious in that case...

• Advertisement
Advertisement