Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tools

Options
  • 23-06-2009 6:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

wheres the cheapest place to get general tools around cork city/county. what im on about now is boxs of sockets and sets of wrenches etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

The cheapest areproberly the special buys in lidl. Depends what you want the tools for realy.

Household use: Lidl/Aldi/Argos

Work use: Maybe McQuinnlans on Oliver Plunkett St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Halfords in Mahon Point do good took kits actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

and if you know someone with an Axa card Halfords give 10% discounts.

McQuillans certainly aren't cheap, I filled my work tool box there and it was expensive. Though the kit is good quality.
    Scotts on North Main St. are handy too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

ya no i want the better quality stuff. its for the farm. tbh i always find lidl/aldi to be crap. i always thought scotts were quite expensive for there quality. most try that macgucklains. how do ye find atkins carrigrohane rd for price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

There's an Army Surplus Shop in Midleton at Market Green, near Tesco. They have lots of tools and workwear.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

scotts for tools have a shop in ballincollig in the industral est

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

mp22 wrote: »
    scotts for tools have a shop in ballincollig in the industral est

Really. Since when? Which indstrial est?

also didnt know this. would like to know more. must try frank clarke last time i was in his place was when he was in by jurys. is that location gone now so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

frank clarke is gone from by Jurys' a fair while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Heiton Buckley out by dunnes in bishopstown is by far the cheapest i have found, got a stanley saw out there three weeks ago for €10 was so cheap I bought 2 of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

d3mon24 wrote: »
    Really. Since when? Which indstrial est?

Quite a few years now, up the link road (by the old CFU)....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

scotts in ballincollig crude directions
    comming through ballincollig from the west go past the town center(that new place) past the new aldi take next right and then first right (i think) into entrance there are a number of shops there keep to the right scotts will be on your left side, small shop packed to the rafters with tools

what do ye think of king tony sockets and rolson wrenches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

what do ye think of king tony sockets and rolson wrenches
    hey, I actually work in this field so kinda know what I'm on about... King Tony would be decent-ish and rolson would be more of a budget brand. I own www.walshengineering.com and if there's anything in the workshop tools section you fancy, pm me and I'll work out a bit of a discount for you.

ok will have a look thanks. also whats the difference between the sockets eg some are metric and the other ones.

ok will have a look thanks. also whats the difference between the sockets eg some are metric and the other ones.
    There are two units of measure - metric and imperial. Metric is what we use in the real world and imperial is what the yanks lean towards. Unless you're working on American-made stuff, go with a metric set.

and whats the difference between the 6 pole and 12 pole ones ( i said pole beacuse i cant think of the proper word)

and whats the difference between the 6 pole and 12 pole ones ( i said pole beacuse i cant think of the proper word)
    it's called 6 or 12 point. It's the number of teeth that the socket has. 12 point makes it easier to put the socket on the nut as you don't need to rotate around as much but they are more expensive. Not really necessary in most applications

which would you recommend so 12 or 6. would the 12 not slip. some bolts i would want to open could be hald seized on and would the 12 not slip in this case.

• Advertisement

which would you recommend so 12 or 6. would the 12 not slip. some bolts i would want to open could be hald seized on and would the 12 not slip in this case.
    6 is probably the better option for very stiff bolts imo. Just use plenty of 40+ (WD40) and maybe a long extension bar to get them free.

what are the pros and cons of each. would 12s slip

A 6-point socket gets a better grip on the nut and so is less likely to slip and round off the nut corners. A 12-point socket gives you a better range of movement, but that is unimportant on a racheting socket wrench so is really only useful on an extension bar etc

what are the bests makes out there eg where would teng and king tony be for quality. any good place online to get them

what are the bests makes out there eg where would teng and king tony be for quality. any good place online to get them
    Teng Tools and ISI and both of very high quality. I suppose I'm biased, but I sell them at my site and as I said, pick out what you're interested in and I'll do a discount for you.

Advertisement