Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB Fees when you're renting

Options
  • 23-06-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

If I rented out the house through an Agency do they register the PRTB or do you & how much would it work out at? Does anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Check out www.prtb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Technically the landlord makes the application to the PTRB so is supposed to pay the fees but the is no legislation to prevent them from simply charging this straight back to the tenant which is what many do.

Bear in mind though that you are registered for up to 4 years should you stay there. My fear right now is if landlords are going to slap this 200 tax straight onto tenants also. I suspect they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

shoegirl wrote: »
    Technically the landlord makes the application to the PTRB so is supposed to pay the fees but the is no legislation to prevent them from simply charging this straight back to the tenant which is what many do.

Bear in mind though that you are registered for up to 4 years should you stay there. My fear right now is if landlords are going to slap this 200 tax straight onto tenants also. I suspect they will.

considering rent's are going down the tubes and the amount of empties for rent is heading over 30k i can't see the passing this on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its part of the costs associated with the property- akin to management charges, property tax (if not a persons PPR), water charges (residential not due until April 2010) etc. Its highly improbable that there will be a specific charge detailed to the tenant which is listed as 'PRTB Fees'- simply its another expense coming out of the gross rent prior to determination of reckonable income from the rental unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

So, I have to do it not the Agency?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It depends on whatever deal you do with the agency, but as landlord, you need to make sure it has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Its the landlord who gets in trouble if they don't pay the registration fee, not the tenant. So why would the tenant pay?

Advertisement