Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to hiking, hillwalking, etc.

Options
  • 23-06-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I was thinking of properly trying these activities this summer since I'm not going away.
    I was browsing this site which I found on another thread here:
    http://www.mountaintraining.ie/index.php?lnk=home

There's a course called Mountian Navigation training there, I'm just wondering is that for people who are already experienced with outdoor activities or beginners aswell?

If there is a club or anything for beginners, what ones would you guys recommend?

Comments

Just took it up at the end of last year and hooked.

Never went near a club myself. Didn't want to go walking with people I don't know or may not particularly like, or have to go where they wanted.

Just started going out on the hills with a group of friends, acquiring equipment over a period of time as we saw the relevance of it, some new faces joined in, some of the original group lost interest. Wouldn't wait until I found a club, just get one or two friends and get out there. As I have now found out I like it, I would now think of doing some course in mountaineering, or something slightly more advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

For a young, fun club try The Challenge Hikers, a Dublin based walking club. They're only accessable on facebook, where you'll find their details by doing a facebook group search.

Advertisement