Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rum Racing in Cork??

• 23-06-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

Spent a few years in NZ...spent many a night rum racing in the yacht squadron on Friday night on Auckland harbour...find a boat, bring some beers and sail around harbour for few hours...anything similar in Cork?..I did pass the crosshaven yacht club but looks VERY posh?!Friends have told my sailing is for the upper class in Ireland?? Pity!!! Any advise would be great - sailing should be for everyone and is such a good fun and great way of meeting people!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

Ah sounds like your in an unfortunate area! Most clubs are grand like not snobby or anything but the "Royal" Cork in Crosshaven is sadly!

But at the end of the day it's only your skills that count so if your good........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

icedtea wrote: »
    Ah sounds like your in an unfortunate area! Most clubs are grand like not snobby or anything but the "Royal" Cork in Crosshaven is sadly!

But at the end of the day it's only your skills that count so if your good........

The sailing scene is Ireland is very POSH! Have worked in the super yacht industry for 3 years around pacific/NZ with yachts such as Andromeda, Red Dragon, Silvertip and the scene is great.

I see all these rich kids learning to sail here- which is great...but funny how i ever only met one Irish person working on a superyacht in Pacific - lots of Irish in the Med..funny..suppose its down to money here as such an expensive sport...everyone in NZ/OZ has a boat and its second nature to them - thats why NZ/OZ are most sought after in that industry

Will be interesting to see what Ford Week next year will be like..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

If you're in Cork you should check out club racing in the Royal Cork YC or Kinsale YC. Kinsale race cruisers on a Wednesday night & Sunday and RCYC race on a Thursday night and at weekends. There are a few old snobs but in general it's very laid back and friendly. Don't let a few old tofs put you off. They are not really into beer/rum racing but they do go for a few pints afterwards.
    And there are always loads of boats looking for crew. You just missed Sovereigns Cup in Kinsale with 140 boats. It was a 4 day regatta that finished on Saturday.
    Get out there and enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

iguana2005 - If your intrested head down to the yacht club in crosshaven. It's really not that bad. There are one or 2 old heads but the rest are cool out. Thursday nights are very laid back not much rum though as most people drive home but there are BBQ's and music usually after racing.

If your looking for a hook up, pm me I can try sort you out for a place if you want.

Advertisement