Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiming for October...

Options
  • 23-06-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

As it says, I'm aiming for the DCM in October. I started trying to run in February - walking, then running, then more walking! I did the Great Ireland run in 67 mins, not fast, but fast for me! At the minute, I can run for 40 mins without having to take a walk break so I decided to start Hal Higdon's Novice programme. So day 1 - 2.9 miles in 28 mins 20 secs (using Mapmyrun.com and a good ol' fashioned digital watch!). All support / advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Congrats and welcome! There are loads doing DCM this year so feel free to yell if you have any questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

well done ;)

as Amadeus said, there's loads of us doing the DCM in October. Best of luck with your training

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

welcome aboard Racheljev. If you stick to the HH plan you'll prosper. The training log will keep you honest. If you can persuade a friend to take on the challenge too that'll be a good training boost too, as progress shared is almost effort halved.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck with the training, and welcome to the logs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

3.29 miles this morning in 34'01". Bit tired this morning, legs felt heavy and it was REALLY warm - at 6.30!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lilbreppintc

Good on ya man! Keep up on your programe and you'll do well. Sorry but im not much of a outside school runner, what is the DCM? Is it the Dublin city marathon or something?

what is the DCM
    Tis indeed the Dublin City Marathon - no time goal at the minute, just want to get around!

3.2 miles this morning in 33 mins exactly. Legs felt very heavy this morning. Took a 30 sec walk break at 22 mins because I just felt knackered and hot, then ran the rest.

Well done Racheljev. You're doing really well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lilbreppintc

Keep up the training rachel! That marathon wont know what hit them :D

• Advertisement

Rest day today. I was looking back at my training calendar (god bless mapmyrun) and I realised that I actually did week 1 of Hal Higdon last week - 3 x 3miles, 1 x 6mile and an hour on the bike. So I've decided to make this week 2 - 7 miles tomorrow morning. That should work out because I know at least one week is going to be messed up with holidays, kids off school, so I can repeat a week if things get mussed up. Does that sound like a good idea?

6.95 miles in 68"10'. Really happy with myself! :D It was quite hard at the start to get into the rhythm but got moving and felt ok. I ran along Clontarf road so I got a few miles on grass which was good. I took 30 sec walk breaks at 15 mins, 25 mins, 34 mins, 45 mins and 60 mins - which means I only walked for 2.5 mins - dead chuffed about that! That's the longest distance I've run so far. Still have the big red face though - other runners seemed to be gliding by me, ice cool and comfortable:cool:, while I was doing my "blood pressure about to shoot out my ears" look to perfection:eek:.

Jesus well done!!
    I'm doing mine tomorrow. 6 miles cause i'm still on week one

Supposed to do cross training yesterday but completely knackered :( Today is supposed to be rest day but went out for quick run. 2.35 miles in 23"20', and still completely knackered.... Week 3 starts tomorrow...

Supposed to run 3 miles this morning but when I got up, my legs (left one in particular) were really sore - not sure but think it felt like shin splints. Didn't run anyway, took it easy today (or as easy as possible with 3 kids :p) Will set alarm for the morning and see how I feel then - might even try to just walk for a little while. Fingers crossed it's just tiredness...

Ran 4.1 miles this morning in 39"58' (yay, didn't break 40!) It was LASHING rain but I kept going - it's lovely, running in the rain, really enjoyed it. And (touch wood) my shins feel okay so maybe they were just achy the other day. I found a link in one of the threads for exercises to help shin and calf problems and I've been doing those. Fingers crossed I've no problems later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Good stuff racheljev, I'm also training for October, that was an early start for u this morn, and it really was lashing where I am anyway, true dedication, best of luck with the training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

racheljev wrote: »
    It was LASHING rain but I kept going - it's lovely, running in the rain, really enjoyed it.

Yeah, running in the rain (in summer!) is nice.
    Never nice to look out at it and think "I've got to run 4 miles in that ", but once you're out there it's (and please excuse the very weak play on words) fine (groan..)

Friday was rest day. Had to peel myself off the bed this morning. Told myself I'll run for 10 minutes and turn around, "at least I'll have done two miles". Didn't turnaround, said to myself, "just to the end of the road". Got to the end of the road, "sure I'll keep going for a bit longer". Eventually did 5.04 miles in 49"03'. Literally fooled myself into running 5 miles:eek: Took 4 walk breaks of 20-30 secs each: trying to make sure if I do have to walk, it's for a very short time. Happy enough with this morning. Now, off to pack up 3 kids and a hubby for a week in Tipp! Probably won't be able to update log but will def run a few times next week.

Just back from hols. Didn't get a lot of running in. Used the treadmill in the hotel a few days.
    5 July - 2.5 miles
    7 July - 2.5 miles
    8 July - 3.5 miles
    10 July - 3 miles
    Didn't take a note of the times, but think they were slower than normal - I actually found it quite hard running on a treadmill. Going to try LSR tomorrow of 9 miles (hopefully!) Got my number for the Adidas 5 mile next week - bit nervous now!

• Advertisement

Got up this morning to try my 9 mile lsr, and I couldn't walk properly. My right knee was very sore and bruised, and my leg wouldn't bend properly. Tried to remember what happened... When I was bringing in all the holiday stuff from the car yesterday, I banged my leg on the frame of the porch door. It hurt in a "hit my funny bone" kind of way, but I didn't think anything of it. Anyway today, knee is black and blue with a red bit in the middle, and it's really sore! Taking it easy today, will try walk tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's ok for the 5mile on Saturday....

Got up this morning and knee felt okay so I thought I'd go for a run. After 25 mins, was puffing and panting but kept going for another little while. Just put it into mapmyrun and I did 8.2 miles :D in 82"1' :D REALLY happy with myself. That's the longest I've run so far. It's not quite my lsr of 9 miles but it's not far off, so I'm chuffed!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

racheljev wrote: »
    I did 8.2 miles :D in 82"1' :D REALLY happy with myself. That's the longest I've run so far. I'm chuffed!:)

Nice running.
    Virtual *High five*.

5.3 miles this morning in 52"53'. Went out just after 8am, nice morning for running. Only problem is I'm used to running at 6ish when there's no one around - spent a lot of time dodging people on the paths (and trying not to notice the shocked looks at my red / purple face :o)

Sore, slow, sore this morning. 2.75 miles in 28"25'. Nothing more to add - just crap.:(

Rest day yesterday, legs and tum felt dodgy. Was a bit worried about the 5 mile race today. Hubby and kids dropped me up to park before 9, so had loads of time to find the loo (a vital requirement as it turned out:eek:) and warm up. Started a good bit back because I reckoned I was a lot slower than most people there. Still had to do a lot of ducking and diving around people from very early on - one person ran straight off one of the grass verges and landed almost on my toes. I nearly had a frickin' heart attack, I thought she'd dropped from the sky. Anyway, enjoyed the course. For some reason I thought it was going to be much hillier - it was hilly but I'd built it up in my head to Everest proportions. Had 50 mins in my head and finished in 49"09' (chip time) - my time was 48"48' but I'm not going to argue over 20 secs! Now, time to get ready for the 10 mile...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done rachel great result. Didnt seem to knock a breath out of you. You are flying with your training

Well done :D
    You're flying through it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Congrats, great time :) Portaloos come in handy alright, although being a fella helps avoid the queues :) Best of luck with the 10!

• Advertisement

2.5 miles this morning in 24"17'. OH back in work this morning so back out at 6 am - tough getting back to that! Calves sore so will make sure to stretch properly tomorrow morning...

Advertisement