Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiming for October...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Thanks for all the support folks, still feeling dodgy but more positive now! Think I'll take it easy for a day or two - bit dehydrated after all the unpleasantness (heading for too much info now;)), then start again on Tuesday. 6 weeks till half I think? LOADS of time:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Damn right, just chill out now and enjoy the weekend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Rachel my first few races I got a really bad jippy tummy beforehand. After a few of them I realised it more likely to be nerves than coincidental tummy bug every race day. With this in mind I was really careful about my diet the couple of days before and day of SoG last week. Fairly bland diet but plenty of carbs (pasta, brown bread) the night before. I also made sure to drink loads and loads of water the day before and that morning. I was grand for most of the day of the race but got a bit ..jittery (for want of a better term :o) a couple of hours before the race but nothing compared to the other times and I didn't feel it affected my running thank goodness.

That's great running btw. I can't imagine running 10 miles.. I think I'd collapse even without a jippy tummy:p

Thanks for that Littlebug. Some of it was nerves, I've also had an oversensitive tum for years - even had it investigated last year (oh the fun of a colonoscopy:o). Will make sure to keep the grub nice and easy for the half marathon. Thanks for the encouragement.:)

4.23 miles in 42 mins. Not a bad morning for running, even managed 1.5 miles on grass. Legs fine this morning, a bit sore yesterday and Sunday but grand now. Aiming for 7 miles tomorrow morning.:)

• Advertisement

7.07 miles this morning in 1:08:18. Saturday has been playing on my mind a lot, so I've decided to go back to first principles. When I started back in Feb, I walked then ran, walked then ran until I could run for a few mins at a time. At the minute, I can run for 30 odd mins but then I'm knackered. So for long runs, I've decided to run for 11-12 mins, then walk for 20-30 secs. I did that this morning and it worked really well. Instead of feeling completely knackered after 7 miles, I actually felt I was able to run more. I think I might have been pushing a wee bit too hard - I'm quite new to this whole thing! So the plan is to run the 3,4,5 miles as usual but to break the longer 7,8,9 etc. down into 11-12 min blocks. Then I'll extend the running blocks by a little bit longer each time. Does this sound like a good idea to anyone?:confused:

On another note, to all the people in cars this morning who were looking at me:
    1. Yes I am running just after 6 a.m.
    2. Yes I have a red face - by the time you've seen me, I've been running anything up to 7 miles.
    3. Yes I have a bit of (as it was eloquently put on one of the other threads recently) "junk in my trunk" but at least I'm doing something about it.
    4. And finally, my two decent sports bras were in the wash and the only one I could find this morning didn't have full support. So apologies if the twins were bouncing a bit more than usual and distracted you (and this is directed at the man in the right hand drive Cinquecento who had a gooood long look)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

racheljev wrote: »
    So for long runs, I've decided to run for 11-12 mins, then walk for 20-30 secs. I did that this morning and it worked really well. Instead of feeling completely knackered after 7 miles, I actually felt I was able to run more. I think I might have been pushing a wee bit too hard - I'm quite new to this whole thing! So the plan is to run the 3,4,5 miles as usual but to break the longer 7,8,9 etc. down into 11-12 min blocks.
    Sounds an awful lot like Jeff Galloway's philosophy - long runs with structured walk breaks.

Cool, never heard of him. Will look at that link, thanks.

3.8 miles in 39 mins. Calves very tight this morning so ran slowly to try and ease them a bit. Lovely morning for running - cool, with the odd splash of rain, massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

racheljev wrote: »
    3.8 miles in 39 mins. Calves very tight this morning so ran slowly to try and ease them a bit. Lovely morning for running - cool, with the odd splash of rain, massive!

Up, run 4 miles, and post, all by 7:09. I admire your commitment racheljev. :D

• Advertisement

Up, run 4 miles, and post, all by 7:09. I admire your commitment racheljev. biggrin.gif
    And do you know what the best bit was? Getting back into bed for 40 mins after my shower...:D

12.05 miles in 1:58:30. Really really happy with this morning's run, that's the longest I've done since I started. Took 20 sec walk breaks at 17, 35, 48, 65 mins with water and a jelly baby. Lovely morning for running, really enjoyed that one! No more running for me till next Wed, hubby off on stag weekend and not back till tues evening:eek:. So unless I want to run around the back garden (which I may do...), that's my running curtailed till Wed... not happy about that...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thats a great time for 12 miles. Why can't you go till Wednesday? Kids? Sure lock them in a cupboard and they'll be fine. :pac:

Kids? Sure lock them in a cupboard and they'll be fine. pacman.gif
    I've tried but the little buggers keep escaping:p

3 slow miles in 32 mins this morning. Haven't been out all week, right leg very painful since last week, not sure exactly what it is. Decided to go out this morning to maybe loosen it up a bit. Kept it very slow and easy, and 2 miles on grass. When I got back home, I walked around the garden for 5 mins to cool down, to make sure I didn't come to a complete halt all of a sudden! Also did some good stretching. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Aw rachel I really hope its nothing serious. I was wondering if you were ok. Hopefully all will be ok with a few easy runs and you will be back on track soon.

Thanks a million, Bally8. I'm really hoping it's not shin splints or something, it's very painful! I'll just take it easy over the next week or so, I don't want to stop completely - 4 weeks to half marathon today...

3.27 miles in 31:45. Leg felt okay, probably could have run more but didn't want to push it, just in case. Will go out again tomorrow and see how I'm doing. Off now to get kids ready for school, and my baba ready for montessori... there'll be tears and they probably won't be hers....:(

A teeny bit over 4 miles in 40:54. Ran quite slow to start but after I warmed up, sped up during the chorus of songs for the second 20 mins, then slowed back down to normal pace again. OMG, did I just do a fartlek session without realising :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hee hee you fartlek'd:D

• Advertisement

7.25 miles in 1:14:56. And I ran continuously, no walk breaks at all (that's prob why it's so slow;)). But I'm happy with it. I really enjoyed it this morning. I was out just after 6, weather a bit cold and windy but still nice. It's been a bad week on the home front - my dad's cousin died last week, Niamh broke her collar bone on Tuesday and my aunt had a massive heart attack on Tues as well - she's in high dependency in Beaumont and there's no news yet. But anyway, because it's been so crap all round, it was fantastic to just get out and run it all out. (I may have even had a little cry around DCU so if anyone saw a slightly mad looking, red eyed woman on Collins ave this morning around 7 ish, it was me). Anyway, long story short, great run, really enjoyed it:)

3.8 miles in 38:30. Bit cold this morning, took a while to warm up the muscles so slower than expected. Off into Runways to buy a nice long sleeved running top..

8.2 miles in 1:22. Horrible, horrible run. Dragged my legs around. Should have been 14 mile lsr, but felt crap from the start. Stomach acting up again so had to get home just as I hit mile 7. Kept telling myself, you're ok, you'll get home. Got home, feel horrible, end of story :(

4.1 miles in 41:30. Just knackered...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

no bloody wonder you're tired, look at the time you're getting up at to go running! :)

seriously, your dedication is truly admirable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

goofygirl wrote: »
    no bloody wonder you're tired, look at the time you're getting up at to go running! :)

seriously, your dedication is truly admirable :)

+1

I don't know how you do it, brilliant

Ah lads, thanks a million, I'm morto... First thing is the best time for me to get out, otherwise real life tends to get in the way!

8.2 miles in 1:22:09. Nothing remarkable, just okay.

4.2 miles in 42 mins exactly. Didn't go out at 6am like I normally do, went out at 10 am after leaving 3 yr old in montessori. Just wanted to try something different, so had brekkie at 8 am so I was well stocked up. It was so hot this morning! I always bring a bottle of water with me, I've gotten used to carrying it now, and I drank almost the whole 500ml - I NEVER do that, not even on the longer runs. Anyway, did the run, it was tough because it was so hot, but it's done - hopefully now I'll be able for a good lsr on Saturday, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

13.5 miles in 2:19. Bit disappointed (!) actually, thought I'd run further but when I mapmyrun'd it, it came up as 13.5. Think it might be a bit further but I can't remember exactly which road I ran up and down at about 4 miles! Took 30 sec walk break at 22 & 45 mins, then nothing else till 1:40, and that was it. Out early again so relied on yesterday's grub and lots of jelly babies. Just finished nice glass of milk & choc nesquik, off to bring daughter to Pavilions for some birthday shopping - cue very sore legs later!

Advertisement