Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiming for October...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Bad week. Feeling crap all week, temp up a bit, head sore, achy body, generally feeling like seven shades of sh***. No running at all, in fact, haven't even been able to walk the kids to school, been in the car all week and that's driving them nuts - they prefer to walk (training them well..) Got my number for the half in the post yesterday and almost cried cos I felt so bad. Then sat down with my daughter to watch Hannah Montana and actually did cry. There's a song she sings towards the end, called the climb, and it's all about how it's an uphill battle but I'll make it through, every step I take is getting me there, etc etc etc. And that moment was my Bishop Brennan kick in the ar**. I thought to myself, I'm sitting here, listening to a piece of MOR over produced American crap, sung by a 16 going on 40 year old child and I'm empathising with it?! Enough of that! So, drove the kids to school this morning but walked to collect them, booked my B12 injection for next week and planning small run on Saturday to get myself out again. (And I downloaded The climb from itunes cos it's actually not too bad and it'll remind me of my kick in the ar**) Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

racheljev wrote: »
    Bad week. Feeling crap all week, temp up a bit, head sore, achy body, generally feeling like seven shades of sh***. No running at all, in fact, haven't even been able to walk the kids to school, been in the car all week and that's driving them nuts - they prefer to walk (training them well..)

Just be carefuls, see peckhams post on the main forum re swine flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sorry you've felt crap this week but I have to say I laughed at your post cos I did the exact same thing - cried while watching that movie! You have been through a really tough time recently Im amazed at your resilience. Hope you feel better soon and well done for giving youself a kick up the arse and getting out walking. :)

6.5 miles in 1:03:10. First run all week. Felt a bit dodgy to start but kept going. Put some new fast songs on my playlist and they kicked up my pace a little bit. Not an lsr by any stretch, but happy enough with it after a crap week.

4.05 miles in 39:30. Did NOT want to go out this morning, dark and miserable at 6 a.m. But went out and had a grand run, feeling all virtuous now. Some mornings it's hard getting up so early, but it's a nice feeling when it's all done before 7 a.m. Yoga class later on today, never really done yoga so looking forward to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

Fair play to you...that's great committment...

7.95 miles in 1:21. Battle with the head this morning, kept saying to myself, another 10 minutes. Tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Fair play Rachel. Keep it going. I'll have to take a leaf out of your book soon and get out early because it's the only time of day i can go. Do you hit the hay early the night before or can you survive on little sleep? I've had one 6.15am run so far and found it tough to get out of bed but was glad afterwards when i did. I'll have to get a proper routine going.

Was making the dinner earlier this evening, waiting for the potatoes and decided to sneak a toffee sweet - I know, I know, bad move, but I've been so good lately, I thought one sweet would be okay. Chewing the sweet and felt a hard bit. Thought to myself, that's not right. Took out the hard bit and it was half of one of my back teeth:eek:. The rest of the tooth was rubbing against my tongue - not very nice. Got an emergency appt with a dentist in Finglas, who is quite possibly the nicest man and dentist I've ever met. He did a filling on the tooth and was so nice, cos I was shaking like a leaf. (Honestly, I've given birth 3 times, once when the epidural didn't take and I'm scared of a filling???) Dentist said it'll be sore and sensitive for next 2-3 days. Anaesthetic starting to wear off and face very sore. Not sure if running for 13.1 miles on Saturday is going to help...:( Anybody ever run after dental stuff? Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

You should be OK. Last year I had to have one of large molers at the back of my mouth taken out. Despite my gum being sore for a couple of days after, running was no problem.

• Advertisement

Great day today, 2:13:18. Delighted with it, had 2:20 in my head. Had same probs as RK at the start, what is the deal with the walkers starting at the front... and then giving me dirty looks as I try to get around them... grrr. Anyway, got moving and hit each mile marker at between 9 & 10 mins. Got to 5 miles at 49mins dead - in the Frank Duffy hit it at 55, so definite improvement. Ran into the loo just before 6 miles and dropped my bloody headphones and they broke, so no music for the second half. Kept ticking off the miles until the hilly bit - oooh that was hard. But still hit the times I wanted - although the miles were more 10 mins than 9ish. Was looking like 2:17 at one point so I put on spurt and legged it for the last little bit. Crossed the line with smile all over my face at 2:13, so so happy with that!:D Great race, nice goodybag and I got the fancy Adidas bag cos I registered early. Result!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done. That is a super, super result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Super running! but more importantly fair play and getting out and doing it and not letting the dental problems get in the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

What a great run Rachel. You're so dedicated and you can see it paying off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

racheljev wrote: »
    Great day today, 2:13:18. Delighted with it, had 2:20 in my head. Had same probs as RK at the start, what is the deal with the walkers starting at the front... and then giving me dirty looks as I try to get around them... grrr. Anyway, got moving and hit each mile marker at between 9 & 10 mins. Got to 5 miles at 49mins dead - in the Frank Duffy hit it at 55, so definite improvement. Ran into the loo just before 6 miles and dropped my bloody headphones and they broke, so no music for the second half. Kept ticking off the miles until the hilly bit - oooh that was hard. But still hit the times I wanted - although the miles were more 10 mins than 9ish. Was looking like 2:17 at one point so I put on spurt and legged it for the last little bit. Crossed the line with smile all over my face at 2:13, so so happy with that!:D Great race, nice goodybag and I got the fancy Adidas bag cos I registered early. Result!

Well done, great time :)

(also, go team PB-with-dental-problem, I set my 5k PB back in March while goofed up to the eyeballs on painkillers due to an abscess)

Well done Rachel, excellent time!

5.1 slow miles in 54 slow minutes this morning. So tired! 3 yr old has been sick since Saturday (temp, cold, bit of puking) and instead of saying "don't you know I'm in training, get someone else to mind you!", I've been going constantly the past few days and nights looking after her. So I'm knackered - but I still got my 5 miles done..:)

Another run where my head caused more trouble than my legs. 9.5 miles in 1:39. Out at 5.45 this morning, pitch dark, had to keep putting watch light on to see how long I'd been out for. Didn't enjoy it, but it's one of those runs to put in the back of my mind, in the category "see what I can do, even though I don't want to".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hi Rachel, well done on Saturday, 5:45 again this morning, your commitment to the marathon is unbelievable, I still don't know how you do it :)

20 mile lsr scheduled for tomorrow, not sure about it at all. No sleep at all this week cos 3yr old sick and not sleeping, and when she doesn't sleep, I don't sleep... But if I don't get it in tomorrow, it'll be too late. Think I'm going to have to coffee up before I go out tomorrow...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

In the same boat as you R. Thinking of heading out tomorrow for the lsr as have a bit of work and such to get done on sunday but i have to head out to Shannon to a going away do for my friends who are traveling and will be given a lift in tomorrow morning. Needless to say i won't be drinking but i will be tired :(

Best of luck with it.

15.45 miles in 2:31:40. Very disappointed and upset, was aiming for 20. As soon as I went out, I knew it wasn't right - wrong top, dodgy tum, wind in my face no matter which way I turned. No sleep during the week with sick baba, and dodgy tum back again yesterday recipe for bad run. Got up early, had some brekkie, waited for a while and headed out. After an hour, had to stop at cafe to go to loo, kept going again. At just over 2 hours, was running up Drumcondra Rd, crying my eyes out cos I felt so bad. Ran for another half hour and my body literally seized up. Stopped the watch, and started to slowly walk up the road. A neighbour pulled up beside me, jokingly asking if I wanted a lift the 200m up the road, saw my face and practically threw me into her car. So I cried all over her as well. Cried in the house, cried in the shower, eventually had to stop cos it was dehydrating me even more. Thought I'd done 14 miles so felt a bit better when I mapped it to see 15.45. Still though, bad bad run, bad bad day, just want to forget it. I know anyone reading my log must think "Jeez does she ever have a normal day, it's either all the way up or all the way down". Sorry about that! Ok, so lessons from today: no sleep during week not good for lsr; if stomach dodgy, take immodium night before; don't wear top for cold weather cos even though it was raining and windy, it wasn't cold. It has to get better than this, it really does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Aw man we ALL have those runs.

Keep thinking of last weekend and how well you did and how everything WILL fall into place because your dedication has been 1st class and you have clocked up more than enough miles. Chin up.

Thanks v much UL, don't be too nice or I'll start crying again, honest!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

racheljev, as i've said before a couple of times, I can't get over all those early morning starts and your committment to the marathon, with a young family, it takes some doing and i've really admired you for it.

UL is right, you have the work done now and today was practically a 16 miler, some training programmes have max runs at 16 miles (i think, there was a thread on it somewhere in the main forum a/r/t recently. My emotions have been in a heightened state this week, I think due in part to tiredness from the race last weekend but generally just tiredness.

Have faith in your work so far (not trying to make you cry). :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nothing else to say but *bighug*

It's ok. We all have our hard days. You've done amazingly well to get this far, don't let one crappy day put you off.

Ah Rachel my heart goes out to you. I know its easy for me to say but you should be so proud of all you have achieved. There is no way in hell you would catch me getting up as early as you do and sticking to training through all the things you have been through recently. I think everyone on here is brilliant but you are the person I admire most for the commitment you have given. I havent posted on boards myself in nearly a week cos my training is going so bad, I dont even want to tell ye about it. But I had to post here and tell you that it will be worth it for all of us in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey Rachel 15.5 miles in 2:31 is really fast, If I am calcualting it right it is even faster per mile than your half marathon last weekend?? (10m9 sec /mile last weekend and 9min 45 sec this weekend) that being the case it is a hell of a run. It actually means you went through half marathon distance in 2hrs 7 minutes today!!!
    That is definately a positive and you probably only blew up today becuase you were going too fast. I Imagine at 10.5+ minute miles (as you should have been doing;)) you would have got through the 20 no problem. Chin up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

+1 Well done so far. Great log!
    The countdown has begun, so stay positive.
    jb

• Advertisement

Thank you all so much, I don't know what to say, I'm SO grateful for all your support. See? I'm crying again! Seriously, thanks very much.:)

Advertisement