Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiming for October...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

15.5 miles is more than I've done! Also, if it's any consolation, every single time I run, the wind causes my eyes to water and tears stream down my face. It gets worse when I'm running fast - I literally look like I'm running away from my problems. People I run by constantly give me looks of 'ah, the poor guy'... But, I also cry when I laugh, so I just can't win!

Tomorrow will be better! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

5.3 miles in 55 mins exactly. Dark and rainy this morning but not too bad. Used my new Polar HRM thingy this morning. Avg HR 156, max 187. Now have to look up exactly what that means....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Christ almighty Racheljev how the hell do you manage to get up so early to run? What a superstar. Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the Boardies on the 26th. You deserve an extra-special medal for your insane training times as well.

6.2 miles in 65 mins this morning. It was cold AND dark (but with a full moon) AND frosty so glad of my long sleeved top! It's also bin day, so kept passing smelly bin lorries, yeuch... Legs v sore so ran v slow. Think I'll be icing and anti-inflammatory-ing later on:(

2.5 crappy sore miles, didn't bother timing cos it was all bad!

• Advertisement

18.1 miles! Yay! Did it in 3:22, but had to stop for toilet break, traffic lights, stretching, so actually ran 3:12. Much happier about this week than last week. That's the longest I've been out since I started training. And I did what I never do, I mapped my run before I went out so I knew exactly where and how fast I was going. I went out with a new fancy belt with 2 bottles on it. It was so bad! Ran down the road with it and had to run back to the house. Decanted the bottle contents into my regular bottle and left the house for take 2. Decided to take it easier than last week - walk break of 20-30 secs every 10 minutes. Worked fine until 2 hours when I had to stop for a toilet break. Hard to get back into the rhythm after that but kept going. Head got bad about 2:30 - point in the route where, if I turned left, I was 10 mins from home. If I kept going, up a hilly bit, I was 35-40 mins from home. Stretched for a few secs, gave out to myself and kept going. Feet sore now, insteps very sore. But it's done, yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Yay, Nice one. Hopefully you should be feeling a bit more confident about the big day now :D

1 hour yoga class this morning, lots of lovely s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g. Legs feel okay after Saturday, walked a bit yesterday and no ill effects. Taper starting from tomorrow!

4.1 miles this morning in 44 mins - could I BE any slower? Actually, it was pitch dark, drizzling rain and the ground was very slippy. I nearly broke my neck on a frickin' conker on Griffith Avenue, ended up sashaying into a pile of soggy leaves so I tried to be very cautious - please,no accidents at this stage, please. So of course, because I'm being careful, something will happen!

6.1 miles in 1:01, grand run. Not too hot, not too cold, still pitch dark but that's ok. No conker related falls or accidents this morning, phew, so it's all good. Hubbie's birthday today so going out for indian meal tonight - can I write it off as carb loading??:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Catching up on your log Rachel. Enjoyable read.
    Well done on your 18 miler. You've been doing great and you are an inspiration to many. Keep it up. Just 12 days to go.
    Enjoy the anticipation of your first marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Likewise, catching up with your progress Rachel. Keep it up. Sorry to hear about Seanie's cousin. Good luck in the DCM. Might see you in the crowd,

Slogger (aka Mick Hanney)

Thanks Abhainn & Slogger. Mick, I reckon you'll be at least two hours ahead of me!

Today: high temp: check. Sore throat: check. Runny nose, blocked head: check. Aching body: check. Shivering, sneezing: check. Meeting with teacher to discuss my son being bullied: check. General allround feeling of sh1teness: check. Dosed to eyeballs on Nurofen cold and flu: check. No run today and probably tomorrow.

Think I'm back in the land of the living. Been in bed since Thursday. Cold bit worse than I thought. High temps, shivering, sweating, all that good stuff. No running, no walking even! This is the first time I've even been on boards since Thursday - unbelieveable:eek:! Lost 4lbs in 3 days, not a good plan. Not really sure where I am now for next week, can literally feel muscles wasting and fitness seeping out. Will see how I feel tomorrow, might try jog up and down Griffith Ave. Fingers crossed my energy levels start to pick up pronto. I just CANNOT give in to a bleedin' cold at this stage!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

god you poor thing rachel. Fingers crossed you get better in time. Take care of yourself!

Got out this morning, felt a little bit dodgy but did 3.2 miles in 30:36. Happy enough with that. Head still feels full of fuzzy snotty stuff but cough better, and feel better for having got out in the wind and rain! Hopefully no more setbacks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Your nearly there racheljev, all this early morning stuff is about to pay off, fantastic log

2.85 miles in 27:34. Had a feeling of DOOOOOM this morning that I just couldn't shift - so afraid something was going to happen at this stage to ruin it all! So - slipped on a wet leave and nearly creamed myself, ran around a corner ON THE PATH as a bus came the other way around the corner ALSO ON THE PATH (honestly, first Tunney, then Racoon Queen, are they picking us off one at a time?), then a frickin' cat jumped out of a skip in front of me and I nearly had a heart attack. Needless to say, I ran home straight away! Anyway, I think that's it till Monday. The taper madness has well and truly set in - talk to me and see how quickly I can turn the conversation to the marathon. (Sample conversation: "Weren't John & Edward hilarious on X Factor?" "Yes, think I might put that song on my marathon playlist, didI mention it's Monday?"). Fingers crossed it goes well and my next post will be "Yay, I did it!" Thanks for all the support, the A/R/T people rock.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

haha i can't stop talking about the marathon either. It's not on purpose it's just that it is always playing on my mind. My housemates have gone gaga i'd say! They were in galway yesterday for job interviews and i think i started talking to myself about Monday. EEK!

All will go well on Monday for you. You have put all those hard miles. Hopefully it stays dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Now I know I shouldn't really be watching x factor but John and Edward are hillarious, I nearly fell of the couch when they started talking to each other during last Saturdays performance, I don't think they have a clue... Or do they?? Anyway, they won't be on my marathon playlist, I'll be listening to --amadeus-- singing eye of the tiger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Very best of luck Racheljev, it must feel great that all the early morning runs and the huge commitment are soon going to be translated into a great run on Monday! I hope you have a great race and will be looking forward to hearing all about it next week!

Just found perfect way to take mind off marathon: have son come out of school saying, Fancy dress tomorrow for last day before midterm. Get home to realise no costume. Have son decide he wants to be Fernando Torres. Decide that we need to get a blonde wig from somewhere. Leg it to local shopping centre with 3 kids. Run into Art and Hobby shop, have son tell me the costumes are a bit childish (he's only 9!) Find Claire's Accessories shop. Buy blonde hairpiece thingy. Bring it home, take it off comb thing, sew it together, cut curls off it (because as daughter points out, he doesn't want to look like Torres' sister). Arrange on head with black headband. All sorted, till son realises that Torres name is not on home jersey, it's on away jersey and he wants to wear home jersey. Spend 90 mins printing, then outlining, then cutting T O R R E S 9, then stick it on the bleedin' jersey. Didn't think about the marathon once...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Very best of luck Racheljev, it must feel great that all the early morning runs and the huge commitment are soon going to be translated into a great run on Monday! I hope you have a great race and will be looking forward to hearing all about it next week!

+1 A great training log, you've come a long way since June.
    have a great day on Monday,
    jb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Hey Racheljev glad you're avoiding taper madness so!

Hope you have a great race on Monday, you definitely deserve it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best of luck Monday Rach. Theres nothing quite like the feeling of crossing that Marathon line the first time.

Drove most of the route this morning, realised how little I know the southside. Shockin' hilly around Inchicore but the rest of it seems okay - ish.... Collected my number and goody bag at the RDS - kids quite impressed with Cheerios but not so much with the healthy bar. Felt a bit in awe of all the people who looked far more toned and serious than I did. Will have to keep telling myself, you're ok! Brought OH and kids to Milanos to say thank you for putting up with me over the past few months, full of pasta now! Feel like having a little sleepy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

racheljev wrote: »
    Felt a bit in awe of all the people who looked far more toned and serious than I did.
    Lol ditto! Going to that expo is a great way to feel like a huge fatass! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I no nothing of Dublin- Im a total country bumpkin so Monday is a total unknown to me. I have decided to imagine each mile as a mile on the routes I know around Nenagh- think that might help me on the day.

Well it's done! 5:05 - not the time I wanted but at least I finished. I reckon if I hadn't been sick last week I definitely would have broken 5 but that's just an excuse.. I was doing grand until mile 12, bang on for 4:35 pace and then my legs just turned to jelly. I purposely hadn't gone out too fast so I can't blame that. And I've run 12 miles loads of times so it wasn't as if I hadn't done it before. Miles 12 - 18 were the worst I've ever run, or felt. I started counting my steps and telling myself I could walk for a bit when I hit 1000 steps. My OH and kids, and my sisterinlaw and her fiance were brilliant, they followed me all over the course and cheered me up no end. Once I hit 20 I knew I wouldn't break 5 hours, but I also knew there was no way I wasn't going to finish. My brother ran some of the last mile with me and that really kept me going. As I crossed the line, I was in floods and a tall man dressed in a Hawaiian skirt and a bikini gave me a big hug - thank you whoever you are! Just so glad it's done and dusted. and I am going to utter the immortal words - I am NEVER doing it again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

WELL DONE RACHEL! That must have been so hard going during the 12-18 but yet you kept going. That's real courage. Must have been great having the family with you all along the way, they must be very proud of you!

Hope you are going to do something nice this evening now to wind down and celebrate your achievement :)

Advertisement