Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is wwe getting worse from year to year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I don't think I even care enough anymore to say what WWE need to do. SmackDown! is the best thing they have and it's still only ok.

Jericho needs to be main eventing each brand! Have him as 2008 heel on one show, Y2J on another and his liontamer gimmick from WCW on the 3rd show. Ok, maybe not, but it'd be better than the crap they show today.

I quit watching regularly after No Way Out 2008 and it seems to be getting worse to me.
    No Way Out 08 was better than 'Mania (edit: 25) imo.
    WWE - written by kids for kids.
    I totally agree with this, The PG era is here:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

No Way Out 08 was better than 'Mania imo.

WM24 was a better ppv than nwo, the only gripe i would have about mania was if you attended the thing, citrus bowl is a run down shack of a stadium that is held up by a few rusty girders and located in the middle of freaking ghetto in downtown orlando (about 10 miles from the tourist areas and 20 miles from disney)
    I totally agree with this, The PG era is here:mad:

was watching raw and smackdown from march 2002 last night and what do you know that was pg too, switched over to nitro from 1997, tv-pg in the corner, the pg era has always been here but for a brief period between 98 and 2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

yeah that was just outrageously rediculous.....everyone knows country is far better than rap!! :pac:

Didn't stop WCW from trying to use that same particular story four years later, because we all know that the only thing missing from such a genius storyline was MASTER P!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭deanodrummer

WWE today's pretty stale overall. For me it's a combination of me getting older, overexposure, lazy writing. Money talks and that's all that matters. How much better would it be if there was only Raw (and maybe SD) every week with 6 ppv's a year. Time to build feuds and such. Let's say you watch 'Heroes'. Now imagine instead of one episode a week there are 4 or 5. And then a feature length version once or twice a month. Chances are you wouldn't watch for long without being it being overexposed.

SD has good matches but that's it. There's no juicy storylines or psychology to keep me interested in the matches and it just makes it more difficult to follow or care about the matches. It's just extremely bland.

I don't have a problem with it being aimed at kids as such. It was aimed at kids when I was a nipper but it stil had proper storylines, less tv time so I got exited to see it each week and still had good wrestling. It's a corporation now not a wrestling company. They're throwing **** at the walls to see what sticks. Does anybody wanna see HHH/Orton again? Don't think so.

Also titles don't mean anything anymore. A sidenote gimmick in feuds. I think that's a bad policy. And there are too many of them, how can ya have 2 World titles? Ridiculous.

IMHO, I think it's been getting gradually worse since WM X7. In a few years, unless there's a wrestling boom, it will be a forgotten art form. The rise of UFC and other MMA companies is helping that along. Pity. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Didn't stop WCW from trying to use that same particular story four years later, because we all know that the only thing missing from such a genius storyline was MASTER P!

oh god i remember that....*facepalm*

but i mean are we supposed to forget sbout what went on in WCW? like WWE are reusing some of those storylines or they are painting over them as if they never happened, only using them when it suits them, IMO i think either ignore them completely, or use them as if they are part of the companies history, make a decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

oh god i remember that....*facepalm*

but i mean are we supposed to forget sbout what went on in WCW? like WWE are reusing some of those storylines or they are painting over them as if they never happened, only using them when it suits them, IMO i think either ignore them completely, or use them as if they are part of the companies history, make a decision!

That's always been the case though... The Savage/Flair angle in 1992 that was added after the match was signed for Mania was a blatant ripoff of Ric Flair trying to steal Precious away from Jimmy Garvin years prior to it. The only significant difference is that with Savage, it was a claim whereas with Garvin was an actual attempt. :)

But the storyline was pretty much the same, along with every other "wife stealing" angle Flair was involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

For me personally, I do think so yes. I've gone from watching both SD, Raw and PPV's regularly to just reading the results. And in the last two weeks I've barely evern remembered to check the results.

I don't think it's a case of growing older. I think what it is, is that I value good writing above everything else. In the WWE, you are lucky to have one good feud a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    For me personally, I do think so yes. I've gone from watching both SD, Raw and PPV's regularly to just reading the results. And in the last two weeks I've barely evern remembered to check the results.

I don't think it's a case of growing older. I think what it is, is that I value good writing above everything else. In the WWE, you are lucky to have one good feud a year.

yeah this years biggest feud is HHH vs orton, and the one before that was.....erm...HHH vs Orton.....and the one before tha....oh never mind! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

I think this PG thing is being blown out of proportion. WWE was much worse between 2002-2005 then it is now. I know the attitude era which everyone loved is long gone but the wrestling itself is much better now than it was back in those years imo, its just not as edgy nor are the storylines as good. I'm not standing up here for the WWE by the way, I haven't watched it in a few weeks but overall I thought that from November 2008 until March 2009 WWE was at its best since the attitude era. Though that was down to the likes of the Taker/HBK storyline, Randy Orton, Chris Jericho and a few more. But I do agree about the same storylines over and over and the same matches. I'm sick of HHH/Orton, that should have ended, I'm also sick of the way Legacy have been treated the last few months, the same goes for the IC title and the Tag titles. Its just its the same lads main eventing the whole time. If its not HHH, its Batista or Cena. The Big Show should be no where near the maine event scene but some how seems to find himself there. I just stick to ECW and Smackdown the odd time, I dont even bother to record Raw on Sky+ anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I think this PG thing is being blown out of proportion. WWE was much worse between 2002-2005 then it is now.

i thought 2002 was a ok year for wwe, i know others didn't think the same because that was the year many of the casual fans started turning away :(

there was hot storylines throughout that year, HHH's huge return and winning the rumble, the NWO making their appearance at no way out and then rock challenging hogan to a match at mania (it was like 1987 all over again :P), brock lesnars push to the stars, kurt angle/edge fued, the awesome summerslam ppv from that year featuring shawn michaels return to the ring after 4.5 years and continuing that to survivor series where he won the first ever elimination chamber match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Lone Kimono

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i thought 2002 was a ok year for wwe, i know others didn't think the same because that was the year many of the casual fans started turning away :(

there was hot storylines throughout that year, HHH's huge return and winning the rumble, the NWO making their appearance at no way out and then rock challenging hogan to a match at mania (it was like 1987 all over again :P), brock lesnars push to the stars, kurt angle/edge fued, the awesome summerslam ppv from that year featuring shawn michaels return to the ring after 4.5 years and continuing that to survivor series where he won the first ever elimination chamber match

That Summerslam was one of my favourite PPVs ever. I didnt like HHHs return, it was too obvious that he would win the Royal Rumble (also everyone thought he was coming back at Vengence as WWE had videos of HHH as far as I remember to promote that PPV), His storyline with Jericho was awful I thought, Wrestlemania was terible that year except for Rock/Hogan and maybe one other match, the NWO return was terrible, it was the end of Austin that year too, the Dawn Marie/Torrie Wilson sotyline that led to Al Wilson, the brand split also started that year, also the name change happened that year too. Oh and Katie Vick.

On the plus side Brock made a massive impact that year and the amazing Summerslam PPV.

Its safe to say that overall I didnt like that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 paddy_5000

I think this year has been better than When Bishoff was the GM of raw, and not to mention the year JBL was wwe champion forever lol. WWE has its ups and downs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That Summerslam was one of my favourite PPVs ever. I didnt like HHHs return, it was too obvious that he would win the Royal Rumble (also everyone thought he was coming back at Vengence as WWE had videos of HHH as far as I remember to promote that PPV), His storyline with Jericho was awful I thought, Wrestlemania was terible that year except for Rock/Hogan and maybe one other match, the NWO return was terrible, it was the end of Austin that year too, the Dawn Marie/Torrie Wilson sotyline that led to Al Wilson, the brand split also started that year, also the name change happened that year too. Oh and Katie Vick.

On the plus side Brock made a massive impact that year and the amazing Summerslam PPV.

Its safe to say that overall I didnt like that year.
    That Summerslam was the best American PPV ever IMO in terms of pure workrate. Edge/Eddie, Benoit/RVD, Angle/Rey, Brock/Rock and HHH/HBK all four stars or more.

Advertisement