Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recondition cat?

• 23-06-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭celica1994

does anyone know of any places that can recondition catalytic converters for cars or make them up for a car, and please dont say advanced pit stop and such lol:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm open to correction but I don't think that reconditioning is possible. A spurious catalytic convertor is probably the best option.

• celica1994 wrote: »
    does anyone know of any places that can recondition catalytic converters for cars or make them up for a car, and please dont say advanced pit stop and such lol:D

Its not possible... a spurious one will also be a waste of time as most will still fail the nct, best cheap option is a good seconhand genuine cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

[quote=[Deleted User];60836080] best cheap option is a good secondhand genuine cat[/QUOTE]

Cheap it is but chancey too - a second hand cat could fail a week later.

OP - maybe price a genuine cat just to get the most expensive option and then work from there.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

[quote=[Deleted User];60836080]best cheap option is a good seconhand genuine cat[/QUOTE]
    Usually damaged by the angle grinding/hammering required to get them off.

Spurious shouldn't give any trouble and will cost about a fifth what an OE one will.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭celica1994

i cant seem to get a spurious one, they dont seem to make it for my sub model of celica, i cant get a second hand one, and i dont feel like paying 1k to toyota for one for a 1994 car lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

for a reconditioned cat you should try this:

51FDPDG83CL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I needed a replacement CAT for the NCT recently and got the offer of a 100euro weld in job which sounded crap or costs of 200-400 euro for a replacement. Found one myself in the UK for 75pounds (came in well under 100euro) inculding a riduculus amount for shipping. CAT was fine and fitted perfectly, possibly better than the original OEM CAT. Once I knew the part number I even found the same CAT on eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

JHMEG wrote: »

Spurious shouldn't give any trouble and will cost about a fifth what an OE one will.
    +1
    Only problem with a spurious one is finding one. Some cars will not accept a spurious one either. The ECU will trow up a fault with the engine light on (Peugeot 206).
    Go the second hand route if you can't get the spurious one. Last resort is handing over 1k to Toyota !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭celica1994

lol peseant!!! not a hope im going to hand over that kind of money. id rather sell the car cheap, now is the question of how much to sell it for

• JHMEG wrote: »

Spurious will cause no end of grief!! The amount that ive seen that fail the nct is unreal, its a waste of 200 odd euro if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Check the US tuning shops - some make sports cats. Berk technology for instance. For the S2000 there was a group buy, £130 for a sports cat. Perhaps there is something out there for the celica.

Actually your username suggests you have a jap import celica, might be trickier to find a match

Advertisement