Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glor for a concert

• 23-06-2009 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Going to see Steve Earle there in November, just wondering what it is like. Can you have a few drinks while the show is on or not. How many in there and the like

Cant wait to go actually

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Going to see Steve Earle there in November, just wondering what it is like. Can you have a few drinks while the show is on or not. How many in there and the like

Cant wait to go actually

Theres a bar/cafe there. Usually open for awhile before the show starts. So you can can get bottles only I think. If theres a break in between the show, you can go out for another one, altough I find drinking for these kinds of thing usually ends up in you appreciating the show less, unless your a big steve earle fan. Theatre itself only sits 140 people i think, so small enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Was there for Christy Moore a few years back, good venue and acoustics not bad. Believe the venue has been losing money, would do well if they had more high profile artists instead of that horrible traditional stuff.

Wouldn't mind seeing him myself, good fan of his, Ie Copperhead Road and Galway Girl. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Well, you can drink but not inside. The bar will be open, but you're not allowed bring any drinks inside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's a great venue, there's a full bar (pints and all :)), you can have a few before and after, you can also give an order and they'll have drinks ready for you during intermission. The sound in there is second to none so Steve Earle should be brilliant I would imagine, I might try to get tickets myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's a great venue for a concert. Not a bad seat in the place. It seats much more than 140 that someone said, it's around 400 I think. No drinks allowed inside the auditorium though but the bar is usually open before, at the interval and after the gig.
    Actually here is a seating chart.

http://www.theatresonline.com/theatres/ennis-theatres/glor-ennis/seating-plan.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Clareman wrote: »
    It's a great venue, there's a full bar (pints and all :)), you can have a few before and after, you can also give an order and they'll have drinks ready for you during intermission. The sound in there is second to none so Steve Earle should be brilliant I would imagine, I might try to get tickets myself

I would 2nd that! For a venue which has a comparitively small catchment, the sound quality is brill, a lot of which is due to Matt Purcell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Glor is a great venue, I've been to a few concerts there and really enjoyed it. Nice atmosphere, not too big, and nice bar for a few before and after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Anybody who likes Galway Girl probably would find any good music horrible. I know alot of trad musicians and they all ****ing hate the song.

Glor is a wonderful venue. Ennis is probably a bit small to support it properly, but even stuff like the local musical society managed to fill it out more or less completely for 4 nights so people do support it when the right stuff is booked.

I'd like to see a few more high profile rock acts turn up, or just acts for younger people. They got Bell X1 a couple of times in the first two years it was open, but nothing much like that since except maybe The Walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I'd like to see a few more high profile rock acts turn up, or just acts for younger people. They got Bell X1 a couple of times in the first two years it was open, but nothing much like that since except maybe The Walls.

They had Cathy Davey last year and The Waterboys a couple of months back (great gig)! Also they have comedy every now and then (I saw Des Bishop there) and Keith Barry from time to time.

Their schedule for the summer is pretty crap though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

Glen Hansard, Marketa Irglova and the Frames are playing on the 24 August under the 'Swell Sessions' banner. :D

However for Live Bands I find the atmosphere in Glor to be a bit too sterile. I prefer somewhere like the Olympia, Dolans or even the Ambassador......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

croker95 wrote: »
    However for Live Bands I find the atmosphere in Glor to be a bit too sterile. I prefer somewhere like the Olympia, Dolans or even the Ambassador......

Gotta agree with you there, it really annoys me that you cant bring drink into the performance, and the atmosphere in glor always seems to be a bit sedate with everyone seated no matter how energetic the performance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've seen Christy Moore there a couple of times and he was fantastic, as was Tommy Tiernan when I've seen him there, also Pat Short, and Tom Kenny, I'm not a fan of Des Bishop but his show was good, was also at some Jazz nights that were very good as well, but I have to say if you want to see a show, go to see a play there, it is a magnificant venue for a play, I've seen a number of John B Keane productions, some of the best actors in Ireland have been in some of them, even some that you might recgonise from Glenroe :)

It's a great venue, it's a great setup and they have some good things there, unfortunetly if people don't go to some of the smaller things then they won't be able to get in bigger shows.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, they have some wonderful art exhibutions from time to time as well and sometimes you can get a real bargain

Glor is a good spot.

I saw FRED, Cathey Davey, Pierre Bensusan and a few other people play there. Sound is good but the crowd is always very calm. No heckling whatsoever and that just wont do!:D Had the pleasure of playing there once and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Seats slightly more than 400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

A quiet venue with a sit down crowd isn't always a bad thing. I think alot of people enjoy playing there because they get to do some of their more downbeat material. Playing to a stand up crowd of drunk people shouting "Play Freebird!" over and over must get tiresome.

Well when FRED were playing, after each song there was a clap and then dead silence. Granted that silence is often good, the atmosphere was quite dead and it wasnt good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Saw Damien Dempsey there and ther was a good buzz. Really though bringing drinks through should be an option.
    Booked tickets to Steve Earle. Liked his Jerusalem album, Galway girl is awful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭happytime

no atmosphere no good bands booked regularly

when im at a gig there i feel like when my parents used to make me go to mass

GLOR is run by a gang of trad nazis with degrees 'as kultur gaeilge'

YOU MUST SIT IN THE SEAT YOU HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED ON YOUR TICKET NUMBER. DO NOT CHANGE. YOU WILL BE SHOT.

they aimed for the yuppie market but unfortunatly there are not enough yuppies in ennis to fill a hall that size.

Advertisement