Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog immunisation shots

Options
  • 23-06-2009 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭

My wife's uncle has just gone in to hospital for a hip-op. He will be away from home for 2 months and wants to put the his dog into boarding kennels whilst he is there. Unfortunately being a 75 year old farmer the owner never gave the dog his immunisation shots so the kennel has refused him entry.

Where he is staying now is far from ideal, so how long will it be before the dog will be allowed to mix with other dogs, as I was thinking of bringing him up and putting him in our run.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

If it was a pup it would be three weeks before the vaccinations fully cut in, you give the first injection and then wait two weeks to give a booster, its takes about a week then before you can be sure its safe.

I'm pretty sure its the same for an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Has he now had his first lot of vaccinations? If so, it will be another 2 weeks (sometimes 3, depending on what the vet uses) before he has his next vaccination. With puppies, it should then be another 2 weeks before they can go out, but with older dogs, they have probably already built up an immunisation themselves. Also, if your dogs are fully immunised, it should be okay to mix him once he's had the second lot done, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

ISDW wrote: »
    Has he now had his first lot of vaccinations? If so, it will be another 2 weeks (sometimes 3, depending on what the vet uses) before he has his next vaccination. With puppies, it should then be another 2 weeks before they can go out, but with older dogs, they have probably already built up an immunisation themselves. Also, if your dogs are fully immunised, it should be okay to mix him once he's had the second lot done, in my opinion.

Heather has had no shots at all except a few worm tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ask the kennel. It's their restrictions you have to go by, not what we say. Different kennels have different requirements - usually they list them just as 'vaccinations up to date', but it's up to the kennel manager to make a decision on your specific dog as to when they feel the dog has the protection of any vaccination recently given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

patmac wrote: »

Where he is staying now is far from ideal, so how long will it be before the dog will be allowed to mix with other dogs, as I was thinking of bringing him up and putting him in our run.

Sorry, it was this bit that confused me, you ask how long it will be before he can mix? What do you mean? I thought you meant that he'd now had his shots and you were asking how long before they kick in and he can go to your place.

If he hasn't had any shots, then its entirely up to you whether you mix him with your own dogs or not, and obviously there is no time limit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement