Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

start a pension at 34 or just keep saving?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Work freelance sort of - basically never worked with a company who offered pension.
    Start my own? - bank or building society? Or just save?
    Single girl, little savings, earn 30K a year(just home from travelling) and rent..no parents to help me out...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Keep your options open. Start saving and at the end of the year you either have money saved towards (a) deposit for a house (b) single premium pension or (c) price of a flight to go travelling again !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

If you are self employed you will be able to make a lump sum payment in the new year and backdate it against your 2009 taxes. Also if you are on the basic tax rate, there is talk of increasing tax relief to 30% in the next budget so would cost you less.

I think you should wait until after the budget at the end of the year before making a decision, unless you think there is considerable upside to investing a lump sum in a pension right now

Advertisement