Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorsport Photography

• 23-06-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

So I've gotten into motorsport photography, specifically rallying. I was at the recent donegal rally:
    imgp0561w.jpg

imgp0666k.jpg

imgp0978y.jpg

imgp0747.jpg

More here: http://www.cianmcgovern.com/index.php?page_id=3&album=2&gallery=3

I was wondering if people could give me some advice on how I could improve future shots. I didn't have a media pass so I had to take all pictures from spectator viewing points. I used my Sigma 70-300mm lens and my Pentax 18-55mm lens on a Pentax K-M body. I used shutter priority mode with a speed of 1/500, ISO of 200 & 400 and autofocus. Anyone got any advice on how I could improve my shots ?? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

lose the copyright jazz.

panning, shoot manual and learn to pan, really does wonders for these shots, nice ones ya got but a bit to static

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

lose the copyright jazz.

panning, shoot manual and learn to pan, really does wonders for these shots, nice ones ya got but a bit to static
    Thanks, I couldn't really pan as the cars were coming towards me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭clive_odonohoe

I think you have done well with these shots, although I would say that they are a bit static. I dont get a sense of action or speed from them. This is probably due to your position which I understand was just like any other spectator. Just try to get some motion to your images, I think would help. good photo's all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Rally is fun. I did some rally driving a few weeks ago. Mad stuff. When not in the car I got some images I was happy with. They were mostly on the corners, where you can see the motion, due to dirt/dust flying around.

Not easy to get good images when the car is coming directly at you though.

I think you have done well with these shots, although I would say that they are a bit static. I dont get a sense of action or speed from them. This is probably due to your position which I understand was just like any other spectator. Just try to get some motion to your images, I think would help. good photo's all the same.
    Thanks mate, yep motion was almost impossible to get, I was stuck behind a hedge for the first few so I couldn't get any shots of them going sideways, and I have a few sideways ones from the second junction:
    imgp0718.jpg
    But I was to far away from the junction to get a good close-up shot.

What kind of shutter speed should I look at ?? Was 1/500 to high or to low for non-panning shot ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

cian1500ww wrote: »
    What kind of shutter speed should I look at ?? Was 1/500 to high or to low for non-panning shot ??

very high, 1/10 - 1/30

very high, 1/10 - 1/30
    Would they not come out blurred ?? Seems a little to slow to me :( But I'm not sure :o

thats where the panning comes in

2642852267_9bde6b0d29.jpg

thats bout 30th i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

This was taken at 0.025 sec (1/40)

3428881703_83f20dfaf6.jpg

Was first attempt at panning, but main think i thing you need to remember is that you need a smooth swing with the camera and don't expect every shot to initially come out the way you hoped!

Ah ok, but panning is virtually impossible in rallying as most times you are taking a picture of the car coming towards me or moving away, its very rare you would get the kind of space and straight stretch to pan. How would I sharpen the shots more ??

• Advertisement

I think this speed is accurate, when your panning you want the background to naturally blur as you move, whilst following your subject. If you pan shoot at speeds of 1/500, the blur becomes more in focus with a noticeable reduction in blur.

Ah ok, but panning is virtually impossible in rallying as most times you are taking a picture of the car coming towards me or moving away, its very rare you would get the kind of space and straight stretch to pan. How would I sharpen the shots more ??

Get to a corner!
    2722867286_596eb37e03.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Would they not come out blurred ?? Seems a little to slow to me :( But I'm not sure :o

First,
    Rally and media passes are not always needed,
    You can get in alot of points which are great and no need of a pass,The only places a media pass would give you a huge advantage would be the molls gap corner on rally of the lakes(huge spectator spot) and alot of Rally Ireland.

For the local rallies the marshall's aren't overly bothered and most are there to watch that the rally than control the spectators(even though they are the officials).On more than one occasion I've been in quite dangerous spots(Car's over steering towards me and the marshalls maybe 10 feet away from me say nothing)

For panning you were in the wrong spot you need to be on a bend usually as it's easier straight line panning is quite hard unless you've got a wide lens

The first four IMO are not good it feels like you're looking down on the car and no sense of speed(i have done this myself as it is hard to get a good spot)

You're better off going back to the stage the day before the rally chances are they'll be a few drivers out in their standard lancers and imprezas taking pace notes this will give you an idea of a good corner and you could find the best spot to go to the next day,Best off finding more than one as the marshalls might move you.

I've just read over that and it seems like alot of jibberish but hopefully you'll make something out of it :)

A boring 3,000th post :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

3622593165_e42c5aa138_m.jpg

3622590011_e743eeefa5_m.jpg

Ricky91t wrote: »
    First,
    Rally and media passes are not always needed,
    You can get in alot of points which are great and no need of a pass,The only places a media pass would give you a huge advantage would be the molls gap corner on rally of the lakes(huge spectator spot) and alot of Rally Ireland.

For the local rallies the marshall's aren't overly bothered and most are there to watch that the rally than control the spectators(even though they are the officials).On more than one occasion I've been in quite dangerous spots(Car's over steering towards me and the marshalls maybe 10 feet away from me say nothing)

For panning you were in the wrong spot you need to be on a bend usually as it's easier straight line panning is quite hard unless you've got a wide lens

The first four IMO are not good it feels like you're looking down on the car and no sense of speed(i have done this myself as it is hard to get a good spot)

You're better off going back to the stage the day before the rally chances are they'll be a few drivers out in their standard lancers and imprezas taking pace notes this will give you an idea of a good corner and you could find the best spot to go to the next day,Best off finding more than one as the marshalls might move you.

I've just read over that and it seems like alot of jibberish but hopefully you'll make something out of it :)

A boring 3,000th post :p
    Thats quite helpful Ricky, I've spectated at quite a lot of rallies now and I've found that the spots that result in shots like the focus above have got to be taken from places where no-one would allow a spectator to stand eg. inside of a corner, outside of corner,etc. For example the first junction I was at on Saturday was beside a pub, now normally you would be allowed stand on the outside of a corner but the ground I was on was raised with a hedge in front so we were allowed stand there so take a look at this:
    My picture:
    imgp0563.jpg

Picture from Seamus Counihan at the same junction but he was standing in a boxed of junction where I wasn't allowed to stand because I didn't have a media pass:
    09-11CRS10845.jpg

I've enquired about a pass for the Sligo stages but I'm not sure whether I'll get it or not. Does anyone know what requirements one must have to get a pass ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Panning is all down to the speed of the car and the condition of the road / course. If the car is 100mph, your obviously going to be panning very, very fast so you can use a faster shutter speed to get the amount of motion blur you'd get if the car was doing 40mph with a slower shutter speed. 1/10th and 1/30ths are very optimistic low shutters for anybody, let alone someone who is just starting out with motorsports.

Start at 1/125th and work your way down. Make sure your using AF Servo so that the focus is continuosly tracking and your using the centre AF point.

If your shooting head on, switch to aperture priority and shoot wide open to throw the background out.

Thats quite helpful Ricky, I've spectated at quite a lot of rallies now and I've found that the spots that result in shots like the focus above have got to be taken from places where no-one would allow a spectator to stand eg. inside of a corner, outside of corner,etc. For example the first junction I was at on Saturday was beside a pub, now normally you would be allowed stand on the outside of a corner but the ground I was on was raised with a hedge in front so we were allowed stand there so take a look at this:
    My picture:
    imgp0563.jpg

Picture from Seamus Counihan at the same junction but he was standing in a boxed of junction where I wasn't allowed to stand because I didn't have a media pass:
    09-11CRS10845.jpg

I've enquired about a pass for the Sligo stages but I'm not sure whether I'll get it or not. Does anyone know what requirements one must have to get a pass ??

Usually to get a pass you contact Motorsport Ireland fill out a form(think it has to be done before the rally year starts) it requires to show proof your rally images have published in magazines(not on a website) I think that's all,Applying to clubs usually doesn't work due in Insurance etc that Motorsport cover/require I think

3394643563_a20ae0a8c0.jpg

3395450376_f630a5013a.jpg

3395450810_5dddfd9c4f.jpg

3394637357_62e1d24c56.jpg

They were all taken from spectator spots and i feel they capture the action of the bend

But each to their own I suppose

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Panning is all down to the speed of the car and the condition of the road / course. If the car is 100mph, your obviously going to be panning very, very fast so you can use a faster shutter speed to get the amount of motion blur you'd get if the car was doing 40mph with a slower shutter speed. 1/10th and 1/30ths are very optimistic low shutters for anybody, let alone someone who is just starting out with motorsports.

Start at 1/125th and work your way down. Make sure your using AF Servo so that the focus is continuosly tracking and your using the centre AF point.

If your shooting head on, switch to aperture priority and shoot wide open to throw the background out.
    Ah ok, I can manage the panning ok, I was practicing before the rally, but I found it impossible to use as the cars were coming straight at me. I'll try that aperture priority mode next time. Would a lower aperture get a sharper picture ?? Like if you look at my picture compared to crspics one, his seems more clear to me :confused:

Usually to get a pass you contact Motorsport Ireland fill out a form(think it has to be done before the rally year starts) it requires to show proof your rally images have published in magazines(not on a website) I think that's all,Applying to clubs usually doesn't work due in Insurance etc that Motorsport cover/require I think

They were all taken from spectator spots and i feel they capture the action of the bend

But each to their own I suppose
    I had seen that form but seeing as there is only one rally magazine (Pacenotes) and they have their own photographers I think it would be quite hard to get some published. I'd be doing it for selling to drivers and co-drivers like what a lot of the rally photographers I've seen so far.

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

Would have to disagree with the last bit the rest is fine,

You can definitely pan on a straight,Not with great results but better than a frozen solid car imo.And still quite a high shutter speed

• Advertisement

I had seen that form but seeing as there is only one rally magazine (Pacenotes) and they have their own photographers I think it would be quite hard to get some published. I'd be doing it for selling to drivers and co-drivers like what a lot of the rally photographers I've seen so far.

Flat to the mat?Some other car magazines would usually have images from some rallies,Even if pacenotes has a photographer,Chances are he's not next to you and you'll have a different image of a crash,drift etc

Flat to the mat?Some other car magazines would usually have images from some rallies,Even if pacenotes has a photographer,Chances are he's not next to you and you'll have a different image of a crash,drift etc
    Unfortunately Flat 2 the Mat are gone a while now. Funny you should say that as Seamus Counihan works for Pacenotes and he was beside me :eek::pac:

I don't know how I would get work published as the real "money shots" like jumps, hairpins etc. are very dangerous and marshalls never allow spectators near them. Is it possible to get a pass from the club ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Would have to disagree with the last bit the rest is fine,

You can definitely pan on a straight,Not with great results but better than a frozen solid car imo.And still quite a high shutter speed

Never said you couldn't pan on a straight either, just in general ...

3626604330_5831bfd5ce.jpg

2362847338_fb6508f2f9.jpg

But I'm speaking of absolute head on shots, where you cant see the wheels because the car is travelling directly towards you and the only real way to show motion is to zoom burst but that can be messy. Where as the standing on the side of a straight isn't a head on shot as the car is still travelling from left to right or right to left. Then its time for experimentaion shots !

3626601708_181022a5cf.jpg

Thats only 1/40th but the back of the car is nearly lost in the blur.

Unfortunately Flat 2 the Mat are gone a while now. Funny you should say that as Seamus Counihan works for Pacenotes and he was beside me :eek::pac:

I don't know how I would get work published as the real "money shots" like jumps, hairpins etc. are very dangerous and marshalls never allow spectators near them. Is it possible to get a pass from the club ??

Flat 2 the mat are gone?

I never noticed that :eek:

Ah right lol,Chances are they won't always be in the same place and you could get the money shot,Just any images you get that stand out email them to the magazine,And see what happens,you might be able to get passes off the club,But i'm not 100% sure,Motorsport Ireland seems to have a big presence with the media accredation for the rallies

Flat 2 the mat are gone?

I never noticed that :eek:

Ah right lol,Chances are they won't always be in the same place and you could get the money shot,Just any images you get that stand out email them to the magazine,And see what happens,you might be able to get passes off the club,But i'm not 100% sure,Motorsport Ireland seems to have a big presence with the media accredation for the rallies
    Yep gone a nice while now, Pacenotes is the only I know of anymore. I'll guess I'll just have to try what you said, all I need is two photos published and I should be able to get the MI pass. I think I'll have to recce the stages as well. I contacted the Connacht motor club and it was passed on to their PRO but I doubt I'll get a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Keep practicing and mabye try some of the track events where you can practice panning. Shoot shutter priority and keep an eye on your aperture making sure it doesnt drop to low, if it does up your ISO.

I had a media pass for a pro-drift event and did some panning 1/50th (check the full size version for sharpness)
    596FDCBAD7F4440FB5C7427575FA9959-800.jpg

Something different, winner caught on a remote camera
    19EA4A9DC6EB47F7979781BD0EB97E3F-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Forde-fotos

Ah ok, I can manage the panning ok, I was practicing before the rally, but I found it impossible to use as the cars were coming straight at me. I'll try that aperture priority mode next time. Would a lower aperture get a sharper picture ?? Like if you look at my picture compared to crspics one, his seems more clear to me :confused:

The way Seamus gets these sharp pictures is because he uses top of the range equipment, top spec canon cameras and lenses. He also has many years of experience of photographing at rallies. Combine this with being able to stand in good places and then you will get the rewards.
    My best advice to you is to stick at it and you will get the rewards, best practice can be gotten from track days

3669335428_d163492ea3.jpg?v=0

Also as Richard says, it is best to recce the stages on the day before the rally to find the best spots. Thats what alot of the media that I know of do, therefore they get good action shots.

I hope this helps you, but most importantly, keep snapping. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If anyone wants to practice their panning, there's Porsche club track day in Mondello today! ;)

steve06 wrote: »
    If anyone wants to practice their panning, there's Porsche club track day in Mondello today! ;)

Bloody work....Not a bad complaint i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Also, Skerries motorbike road races are on tomorrow. Probably the biggest bike race in the south

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Also, Skerries motorbike road races are on tomorrow. Probably the biggest bike race in the south

Is it a free event, like can you just turn up and watch from the the side of the road where marshals allow you to stand?

Is it a free event, like can you just turn up and watch from the the side of the road where marshals allow you to stand?

Some other info here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055610215

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Pay a tenner in. If you get there early you'll get a good spot. About 9-9:30 is early!
    Some info here:
    http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=85114
    and
    http://www.skerrieshomepage.f2s.com/viewingpoints.htm

Advertisement