Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer/Autumn Goals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

July 27th

Interval session today. Aim was 6x1km @6:00 pace per mile (3:44 perkm) with 110sec recovery between each rep.

1km warmup. 1 mile cooldown;

Split 1: 3:38 (HR 161)
    Split 2: 3:43 (HR 166)
    Split 3: 3:44 (HR 172)
    Split 4: 3:41 (HR 173)
    Split 5: 3:43 (HR 173)
    Split 6: 3:44 (HR 178)

Good session, last rep was tough into the wind.

Total miles: 6.5 Avg Pace 6:46

Week: 6.5
    Total: 186.55

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Gringo78 wrote: »
    July 27th

Interval session today. Aim was 6x1km @6:00 pace per mile (3:44 perkm) with 110sec recovery between each rep.

Very nice session. I hope to get into these in the near future.

One question. Is the recovery a light jog or do you stand around until the next rep?

One question. Is the recovery a light jog or do you stand around until the next rep?

Recovery is a light jog, basically half the rep, no particular pace, by the 3rd rep pace I'm usually dropping back to 8-8:30 pace. Best to keep moving so as not to sieze up and keep the blood flowing.

They're great sessions, I've noticed big improvement in my running over the last few weeks doing these, getting much more comfortable running at 6min mile pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

They're great sessions, I've noticed big improvement in my running over the last few weeks doing these, getting much more comfortable running at 6min mile pace.
    i found the very same , started included 1k speed rep sessions and found that my improvement was surprising effortless , well done .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

July 27th

really nice session.

as rest are saying, great improvement in last while. I think you were doing 5*1k at 6:10 only a few weeks ago like!

• Advertisement

tisnotover wrote: »
    really nice session.

as rest are saying, great improvement in last while. I think you were doing 5*1k at 6:10 only a few weeks ago like!

Yeah, July 2nd I did a 5x1km session @ 6:10 pace with 2 min recovery. Rep 4 that day was 3:47 & Avg HR 178. Today Rep 5 was 3:43 and Avg HR 173 so faster pace, lower HR off a shorter recovery, noticeable improvement. According to my plan will have to do a 5x1km session in 3 weeks time @5:50 pace but pacewise I'm now bang on target according to the HM plan.

Seres wrote: »
    started included 1k speed rep sessions and found that my improvement was surprising effortless

I find the sessions very tough but have found that I just need to concentrate on getting the second last rep right...the last rep I can always push on. I find this the same in races....look after the second last mile, give an extra effort to keep on pace in that mile and the last mile will look after itself if you know what I mean

July 28th

4.2 miles easy @ 7:44 pace

July 30th

Planned session for today was 6 miles tempo @6:20 pace.

Splits were 0.5 miles (avg HR in brackets):

3:11 (162)
    3:09 (169)
    3:25 (172)
    3:02 (171)
    3:05 (174)
    3:09 (171)
    3:08 (174)
    3:12 (174)
    3:12 (176)
    3:11 (178)
    3:19 (179)
    3:07 (177)

6 miles 38:11 Avg Pace: 6:22. The 3rd 0.5mile was uphill and the second last 0.5mile was into a pretty strong headwind (I got the benefit of that wind only in my warmup, not in another rep unfortunately!)

Total: 7.3 miles @ 6:33 pace avg HR 168

Week: 18
    Total: 198

I find the sessions very tough but have found that I just need to concentrate on getting the second last rep right...the last rep I can always push on. I find this the same in races....look after the second last mile, give an extra effort to keep on pace in that mile and the last mile will look after itself if you know what I mean
    thats funny , very same for me in the reps sessions , really need to watch the second last one too , last one is normally my strongest one , in 10k races , normally from 7k-8/9k is my weak area.

• Advertisement

July 30th

Planned session for today was 6 miles tempo @6:20 pace.

Splits were 0.5 miles (avg HR in brackets):

3:11 (162)
    3:09 (169)
    3:25 (172)
    3:02 (171)
    3:05 (174)
    3:09 (171)
    3:08 (174)
    3:12 (174)
    3:12 (176)
    3:11 (178)
    3:19 (179)
    3:07 (177)

6 miles 38:11 Avg Pace: 6:22. The 3rd 0.5mile was uphill and the second last 0.5mile was into a pretty strong headwind (I got the benefit of that wind only in my warmup, not in another rep unfortunately!)

Total: 7.3 miles @ 6:33 pace avg HR 168

Week: 18
    Total: 198

nice session!!
    are u doing Novartis 5k next week?

nice session!!
    are u doing Novartis 5k next week?

Unlikely...with a newborn my evenings are not my own anymore, so have to pick and choose the races. I'd say ballycotton 5 will be the next.

July 31st

4.8 miles easy @ avg pace 7:35.

Also threw in 3x100m sprints up a steep hill. Will have to do more of these and have found a good hill to do them on which is a spur off my normal easy run route so will throw in 5min of that once a week on an easy run

Week: 22.8
    Total: 202.8

Last day of July today which concluded a very good month of training for me - 22 days run in the month which is a PB and 142 miles run which is also a PB, plus I think I've had a structured approach to training which I haven't had before and is leading to good improvement.

Aug 2nd

3 miles @6:35 pace, avg HR 161

Just a brisk 3 miles on Sunday, unfortunately no long run at all over the weekend but happy to be able to do the level of training I am as I had expected the complete summer to be a write off as regards running. Will have to get a few good long runs in over the next few weeks though to catch up if I am to be in decent shape for the HM. As regards the shorter races my training is sufficient and hitting the tempo/interval every week.

Aug 4th

Interval Session. Aim was 1 mile warmup then 2 miles @ 6:00 5min rest, 2x1 mile @ 5:55 3min rest each rep, 2x0.5mile @5:55 3min rest each rep.

Managed 6:01 for the 2 miles, 5:59 & 6:00 for the 2x1 mile and 5:59 & 6:06 for the 2x0.5 miles. Couldn't sustain the 5:55 pace for the 1 mile and 0.5 mile reps after the fast 2 miles.

Splits were for 0.5 miles (Avg HR Brackets):
    3:00 (155), 3:00 (174), 3:01 (179), 3:00 (178)
    2 miles - 12:02 - 6:01 pace - 5 min recovery - 7:40 pace

2:59 (174), 3:00 (183)
    1 mile - 5:59 pace - 3 min recovery - 8:15 pace

3:01 (170), 2:59 (177)
    1 mile - 6:00 pace - 3 min recovery - 8:46 pace

2:59 (173) - 3 min recovery- 8:29 pace
    3:03 (175) - Recovery/Cooldown - 8:00 pace

Total: 8.5 miles @ 6:48 avg pace

Find this interval session the toughest of all the interval sessions...the first 2miles @ 6min pace really make the rest of the session tough but I do find it very beneficial and I've improved since last time I did this session

Aug 4th

Interval Session. Aim was 1 mile warmup then 2 miles @ 6:00 5min rest, 2x1 mile @ 5:55 3min rest each rep, 2x0.5mile @5:55 3min rest each rep.

Managed 6:01 for the 2 miles, 5:59 & 6:00 for the 2x1 mile and 5:59 & 6:06 for the 2x0.5 miles. Couldn't sustain the 5:55 pace for the 1 mile and 0.5 mile reps after the fast 2 miles.

Splits were for 0.5 miles (Avg HR Brackets):
    3:00 (155), 3:00 (174), 3:01 (179), 3:00 (178)
    2 miles - 12:02 - 6:01 pace - 5 min recovery - 7:40 pace

2:59 (174), 3:00 (183)
    1 mile - 5:59 pace - 3 min recovery - 8:15 pace

3:01 (170), 2:59 (177)
    1 mile - 6:00 pace - 3 min recovery - 8:46 pace

2:59 (173) - 3 min recovery- 8:29 pace
    3:03 (175) - Recovery/Cooldown - 8:00 pace

Total: 8.5 miles @ 6:48 avg pace

Find this interval session the toughest of all the interval sessions...the first 2miles @ 6min pace really make the rest of the session tough but I do find it very beneficial and I've improved since last time I did this session

well done! def improvement from your last time!

I still don't like the idea of this workout though in the plan.running two mile straight for an interval still seems strange.

thats one tough session put in there, which will stand to ya!

I still don't like the idea of this workout though in the plan.running two mile straight for an interval still seems strange.

Yeah, but the fact thats its in the program twice suggests its important...probably because this is a HM training plan, more emphasis should be put on longer intervals. I did a short warmup and cooldown (as I've limited time at lunch) but if you were to do a good 2 mile warmup and 2 mile cooldown, the whole session would take you close on 11 miles. The pace is 10k pace which is about 20sec a mile slower than HM pace so the whole idea is to get you feeling more comfortable at HM pace. 0.5 mile and 1km reps are great for speed but you can do them too fast and get away with it...I think this session really tests are you at the right pace and I'd be wary about skipping it.

Yeah, but the fact thats its in the program twice suggests its important...probably because this is a HM training plan, more emphasis should be put on longer intervals. I did a short warmup and cooldown (as I've limited time at lunch) but if you were to do a good 2 mile warmup and 2 mile cooldown, the whole session would take you close on 11 miles. The pace is 10k pace which is about 20sec a mile slower than HM pace so the whole idea is to get you feeling more comfortable at HM pace. 0.5 mile and 1km reps are great for speed but you can do them too fast and get away with it...I think this session really tests are you at the right pace and I'd be wary about skipping it.

will try and get this in next week (5k race tomorrow). would prob have been better to get two in as you did, to get consistency in workout. time is running out now till half marathon, <6weeks away.:o

amazing how miles accue with tempo/interval sessions, ya don;t really think about the warm-up/down as part of it like+ ya still get through a lot of miles overall!

No run at lunchtime today...will be able to run the Novartis 5km this evening. One of my 4 Summer/Autumn goals is a sub 18 5km which according to McMillan calculator is the hardest of my 4 goals but I think its the easiest of them??? We'll see this evening I suppose. Ran 20:13 in this race last year but I should be at least 2min faster than that now.

• Advertisement

No run at lunchtime today...will be able to run the Novartis 5km this evening. One of my 4 Summer/Autumn goals is a sub 18 5km which according to McMillan calculator is the hardest of my 4 goals but I think its the easiest of them??? We'll see this evening I suppose. Ran 20:13 in this race last year but I should be at least 2min faster than that now.

hey, mite see ya later at this. aiming for 19:15 myself, bit worried about lack of hill training at moment, this will be tested later!

expecting over 500 at this tonite I see on paper!

best of luck this evening :)

Aug 5th

17:55 in the Novartis 5km this evening. Ran a fast first mile of 5:30 and with that cushion of time I was able to hold it steady for the rest of the race and finish with a bit to spare under my target of 18min. Thats the first of my summer/autumn goals achieved so very happy with that run especially after a hard interval session yesterday (i hadn't expected to be able to run the race this evening)

5.5 miles including warmup/cooldown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Aug 5th

17:55 in the Novartis 5km this evening. Ran a fast first mile of 5:30 and with that cushion of time I was able to hold it steady for the rest of the race and finish with a bit to spare under my target of 18min. Thats the first of my summer/autumn goals achieved so very happy with that run especially after a hard interval session yesterday (i hadn't expected to be able to run the race this evening)

sub 18...tick. good running.

Aug 5th

Great running tonite lad+great to meet up.had forgotten that you'd that interval session yesterday as well, some going!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Aug 5th

Very nice time! Well done...

Seems to be a very different tactic with these shorter races by going out fast and holding on. I guess it can´t really be done for 10 milers and up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Aug 5th

Great run Gringo...sub 18 is an achievement
    I was robbed of mine a few weeks ago.
    Ran a 5k race in 16:33,turned out that it was only 4.7k...would have just nipped under the 18..ah well,i'll get it next time hopefully.

Thanks, I got myself a pair of DS Racers today so will break them in before the next race and that should makes things a bit easier. Got a new pair of DS Trainers also, my present ones have around 600 miles up on them which is too much I think.

How're you finding the DS Racer? Did you race in it yet? Am looking around online at these type of shoes. Mite have a look in john buckley's tomorrow...

How're you finding the DS Racer? Did you race in it yet? Am looking around online at these type of shoes. Mite have a look in john buckley's tomorrow...

Raced in them for first time on Wednesday, had done a few training runs in them and one interval session to break them in (although I won't use them again in an interval session so that I get the 'benefit' of them on race day). Found them grand, no ill effects from them. I run normally in DS Trainers and being honest I don't find a major noticeable difference or anything in them but I suppose over the course of a race they have to have an effect. I didn't try any others on, I plumped straight for the DS Racers cos I've found the DS trainers so good. I warmed up on wednesday in the Trainers and then changed to the racers before the start...thats what John Buckley recommended to do. I think the racers are not a true racing flat and there are lighter ones, but I think they're a good one to start off with.

• Advertisement

Raced in them for first time on Wednesday, had done a few training runs in them and one interval session to break them in (although I won't use them again in an interval session so that I get the 'benefit' of them on race day). Found them grand, no ill effects from them. I run normally in DS Trainers and being honest I don't find a major noticeable difference or anything in them but I suppose over the course of a race they have to have an effect. I didn't try any others on, I plumped straight for the DS Racers cos I've found the DS trainers so good. I warmed up on wednesday in the Trainers and then changed to the racers before the start...thats what John Buckley recommended to do. I think the racers are not a true racing flat and there are lighter ones, but I think they're a good one to start off with.

Cheers for that.
    I'm racing in a pair of asics Cumulus 10's at moment, find them really good, have a pair of 2130's then which I do rest of training in. Both of these shoes have good support+cushioning like, but curious to find out about that DS Racer shoe. Also wondering if they're suitable for racing upto the half marathon...
    Will pop in to J.B.sports tomorrow hopefully + ask him about them.

Advertisement