Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer/Autumn Goals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

tisnotover wrote: »
    Cheers for that.
    I'm racing in a pair of asics Cumulus 10's at moment, find them really good, have a pair of 2130's then which I do rest of training in. Both of these shoes have good support+cushioning like, but curious to find out about that DS Racer shoe. Also wondering if they're suitable for racing upto the half marathon...
    Will pop in to J.B.sports tomorrow hopefully + ask him about them.

I think it depends on the person really as to what they are suitable for. A mate ran in flats for the marathon...the faster you are the easier it should be. If you find them ok for a 5 miler, you should progressively be able to use them for longer and longer races. I'm pretty sure all elites use racing flats for marathons.

Aug 6th

4 miles easy at 7:30 pace

Aug 7th

6.85 miles easy with 4 x 100m hill sprints thrown in. Avg pace 8:00

Summary of last 3 weeks:

Week 30 July 20th to July 26th
    M - 5.5 T - 4.1 W - 4.85 T - 6.5 F - 4 S -0 S - 0
    Total Miles - 24.95

Week 31 July 27th to Aug 2nd

[SIZE=+0]M - 6.5 T - 4.2 W - 0 T - 7.3 F - 4.8 S - 0 S - 3
    Total Miles - 25.8

[/SIZE]
    Week 32 Aug 3rd to Aug 9th
    M - 0 T - 8.5 W - 5.5 T - 4 F - 6.85 S -0 S - 0
    Total Miles - 24.85

[SIZE=+0]Averaging just 25 miles per week for the last 3 weeks and I don't think I'll be able to up this too much between now and Cork HM (5 weeks time) so while I think I'm on course for completing my short race goals (Sub 18 5k - done, Sub 30 5 mile - should do Aug 27th, Sub 24 4 mile - no 4 mile race until Nov but if I do a Sub 30 5mile I think the Sub 24 4 mile could be considered ticked) I think i won't be acheiving my longer race goals early. No problem though, I've targeted december for the HM goal time (83min) and I should be able to step up the training a bit from september on. At the moment, new baby is first priority so I don't really have much (any) time for running evenings or weekends nor do I really have the energy...I'm lucky if I get 4 hours sleep a night mon to fri.[/SIZE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thats no harm,Gringo
    You will be fresh and rearing to go when you have more time to get ready for the half in Waterford in December.
    Best of luck with the little one.

Aug 10th

Interval session. Planned 5x0.75m @ 5k pace (5:46) with recovery half the rep time (rep time - 4:20 Recovery 2:10)

4:15 (5:40) 167
    4:19 (5:45) 173
    4:21 (5:48) 175
    4:35 (6:06) 176
    4:40 (6:13) 176

Total: 7.15 miles, Avg Pace 6:57

Really fell off the pace for the last 2 reps...maybe went out a bit too fast on the first rep, maybe would have been better off doing this session tomorrow as I'm wrecked today but all the same, I was happy I could hit that pace for 3 reps plus the pace was a bit of a step up from the intervals I had been doing so i'm sure it'll be easier next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Gringo78 wrote: »

[/font][SIZE=+0]Averaging just 25 miles per week for the last 3 weeks and I don't think I'll be able to up this too much between now and Cork HM (5 weeks time) so while I think I'm on course for completing my short race goals (Sub 18 5k - done, Sub 30 5 mile - should do Aug 27th, Sub 24 4 mile - no 4 mile race until Nov but if I do a Sub 30 5mile I think the Sub 24 4 mile could be considered ticked) I think i won't be acheiving my longer race goals early. No problem though, I've targeted december for the HM goal time (83min) and I should be able to step up the training a bit from september on. At the moment, new baby is first priority so I don't really have much (any) time for running evenings or weekends nor do I really have the energy...I'm lucky if I get 4 hours sleep a night mon to fri.[/SIZE]

still though, the runs you are getting in of high quality, with the tempo+interval work, which are clearly helping your times over shorter distances.
    I guess take whatever comes out of Cork half, and i'm sure with same program again you'll get the 83min goal in Waterford.

• Advertisement

Aug 11th

4.1 miles easy @ 7:21 pace

Aug 12th

4.8 miles @ avg pace 7:50, HR 151, 5x100m Hill Sprints

Aug 13th

Plan was 30min Tempo run @ approx 15k pace (6:12).

Did 1 mile warmup, 5 miles in 31:17 (6:15 pace), 1 mile cooldown.

Mile splits (HR in brackets) were 6:14 (164), 6:23 (173), 6:07 (175), 6:16 (177), 6:17 (179).

Felt very tough, wasn't sure I'd complete it after 2 miles but held on.

Total 7 miles @ Avg pace 6:38, HR 166

Aug 14th

3.35 miles easy @ 7:22 pace, Avg HR 143

Week: 26.4
    Total 257.05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Gringo,

Haven't popped in here for a while - congrats on that fantastic 5k time.
    I also like the DS Racer.

You should have no trouble reaching the rest of your goals - you've made a great start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

hey gringo
    you are doing really well to manage any training at the moment , i understand how exhausted you must feel with work , training and a new baby , i couldnt manage even that , keep it up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Aug 11th

4.1 miles easy @ 7:21 pace

83 should be very within you. Best of luck with the little one. They are a buzz. Better than any buzz from running.

Aug 15th

Managed to get out for an 11 mile run today. Did a race sim run which is called for in my HM plan. Did 5 miles at 7:15 pace (Avg HR 143), then 5 miles at 6:34 pace, Avg HR 162, then 1 mile very easy at 8:25 to cooldown.

Total: 11 miles avg pace 7:03, Avg HR 154

The run today was a real confidence booster as the miles at 6:35 really felt easy , I was fearing the worst before going out on the run as I had missed a long run for the last few weeks but things are as bad as I thought.

Checked back through sporttracks and back in May, a heart rate of 154 would have equated to a pace of 7:40 so almost 40sec a mile better off now compared to just before marathon.

Week 33 Aug 10th to Aug 16th
    M - 7.15 T - 4.1 W - 4.8 T - 7 F - 3.35 S -11 S - 0
    Total Miles - 37.4

Good week....got an interval session, a tempo run, some hill sprints & a race-sim long run in

Aug 17th

Interval Session. Plan was 5x1km @ 5k pace (5:45) with 3min recovery between each rep. Did this in the evening less than 2 hours after a heavy dinner so wasn't in the best of shape for it but said I'd try it anyway. Did 3km warmup, then 3:38 (5:51, 162), 3:41 (5:56, 166), 3:51 (6:11, 164), 3:44 (6:01, 166) 3:53 (6:15, 168). 1 mile cooldown

total: 7.2 miles, 7:25 pace, Avg HR 150.

When I look at the heart rates now, I really wasn't pushing it hard enough, I could feel the dinner in my stomach and was getting acid reflux from it so really should have left this session till lunchtime tomorrow but decided may not get to do it tomorrow and that would then throw out the whole plan for the week

Aug 18th

5 miles easy @ 7:35 pace, Avg HR 139

Week: 12.2
    Total: 280.25

Aug 19th

4.4 miles easy avg pace 7:57 avg HR 147 with 6x100m hill sprints thrown in.

4th week in a row doing the hill sprints, adding one extra rep each week and beginning to see a difference now...week 1 (3x100), I was hitting heart rate of 170 on the 3rd rep at a pace of 7:07 and the average pace/HR was 6:54 / 166 whereas with the 6 reps today the heart rate stayed below 170 and the average pace / HR was 6:33 / 165 (last week was 6:45 / 168). Definetly something I was missing before and I'm sorry now I hadn't been doing this before....the hill sprints portion of the easy run only took 8min to do today so doing this instead of an easy mile on a easy run is very easy and not time consuming at all.

Aug 20th

Tempo Session. Plan was 6 miles @6:20 pace. Gave up after 5.2 miles of the tempo, was running into a gale force wind and just didn't have it in the legs today…knew going out that I was still tired from yesterdays hill sprints but knowing that I wasn't going to be able to run Fri,Sat or Sun meant I had to try for the tempo today when ideally I would have done it tomorrow.

Mile Splits & HR's were:
    06:19 156
    06:25 167
    06:13 166
    06:24 170
    06:33 172

Gave up then when I dropped to 6:40 pace on the last split.

Total 6.9 miles @ avg pace 6:46, Avg HR 160

Week: 23.5
    Total: 291.55

In 10th week of this HM training block now....average weekly mileage 29.

Aug 24th

20 mile LSR this evening. Had only intended to do 15. Did 12 miles at 7:14 pace, avg HR 147, then moved up to a 6:44 mile to bring me to the half marathon mark. HR was only 162 for that mile so was pleased with that as was well under my marathon HR of 168. just as I was getting ready to canter back home I bumped into a mate who I'd been meaning to catch up with for ages so I turned around and ran with him for 7 miles. He's aiming for Sub 4 in Berlin so we did 8:20 a mile for the 7 miles. The miles really fly when you're running along talking with someone so twas a nice way to do 20. Luckily he had a drink with him cos i had brought nothing with me and appreciate a drink.

Total: 20 miles @ 7:35 pace avg, avg HR 147.

Dropping the interval & tempo sessions for this week as have a 5 mile race on thrusday evening (Ballycotton 5) which is one of my Summer/Autumn goals. Was aiming for 29:50 in 'How fast will you go..' thread but as long as I have no ill effects of the 20 mile run yesterday will revise that aim to 29:30 and push it. Felt in my last 5 mile race that I didn't aim fast enough and so didn't push as much as I should so need to set the bar higher and not be just content with a sub 30.

• Advertisement

Aug 25th

4.9 miles easy @ avg pace 8:27 avg HR 129. Ran with some other club members and it was a very easy paced run which i needed....if I had run on my own I probably wouldn't have been able to hold myself back as much. No il effects from yesterdays 20 miler so all good.

Aug 26th

3.6 miles easy @ 8:07 pace, avg HR 138

Aug 27th

Well, got the Sub 30 monkey off my back in ballycotton tonight...29:38. ran a good race, hit a bit of traffic at the start but had my eye on a group which I knew would go sub 30 and settled in with them. The group split after a mile and a half...rhona lynch and lizzie lee (eventual womens winner) ran on and I tried to stay with them which I did until maybe 2.75 miles. eased back on the steep hill section coming up to mile 3 marker, possibly too much, got left behind by the girls and the group behind me didn't catch up and so I was left in no mans land running on my own. Kept the pace up though and went through 4 miles in 23:45 and I knew then the sub 30 was safe. Put in a good last mile up the hill, passed a few people, felt it a bit though on the last quarter mile and didn't have to put in a massive sprint or anything as there was no one challenging me really.

Mile Splits were: 5:39 / 5:57 / 6:14 / 5:55 / 5:53

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Very nice going, especially with the fast start. You´ll never have to worry about sub 30 again! although, sub 29 sounds really good as well :p

Aug 27th

Well, got the Sub 30 monkey off my back in ballycotton tonight...29:38. ran a good race, hit a bit of traffic at the start but had my eye on a group which I knew would go sub 30 and settled in with them. The group split after a mile and a half...rhona lynch and lizzie lee (eventual womens winner) ran on and I tried to stay with them which I did until maybe 2.75 miles. eased back on the steep hill section coming up to mile 3 marker, possibly too much, got left behind by the girls and the group behind me didn't catch up and so I was left in no mans land running on my own. Kept the pace up though and went through 4 miles in 23:45 and I knew then the sub 30 was safe. Put in a good last mile up the hill, passed a few people, felt it a bit though on the last quarter mile and didn't have to put in a massive sprint or anything as there was no one challenging me really.

Mile Splits were: 5:39 / 5:57 / 6:14 / 5:55 / 5:53

Its nice to have a group like that that you know will be doing the pace ure targetting, (saw same myself last nite).
    Next time stay with that group again and they'll push ya sub 29! ;)

tisnotover wrote: »
    Next time stay with that group again and they'll push ya sub 29! ;)

I'll have to wait on the Sub 29....no more 5 milers until 2010 for me, Eagle 5 probably the next one. Concentrate now on the Half Marathons.

Sub 30 5 miler was one of my autumn goals. Sub 24 4 milers was also one and I think its fair to mentally tick that off as if you can do Sub 30, you definitly do sub 24, although I'll hopefully get the chance to put it on paper in november.

My last goal is Sub 1:22:59 for HM. The oft to be distrusted but sometimes right Mr Greg McMillan tells me I should do 1:22:39. I've been aiming my training at a target pace of 6:20 so I while I was thinking of being more conservative in Blarney in 2 weeks time and aim for 1:25, and wait for waterford for the 1:23, I think based on my 5 mile time and my 20 mile run earlier in the week, its fair to go for 1:22:59 in Blarney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Aug 27th

Well, got the Sub 30 monkey off my back in ballycotton tonight...29:38. ran a good race,

Nice running Gringo.
    Great time.

On holidays so not doing a whole lot....besides eating and drinking. Went running on the treadmill yesterday and today.....was around 30degC so really felt it running and only did 6km each time at around 8min mile pace but it felt really tough in the heat. i suspect also the treadmill has quite a tilt on it that seems to be fixed.

Anyways, Cork HM on Sept 13th so I'm putting this reduction in training down as a taper....although I'm not sure you are supposed to taper for a HM?? Oh well, hopefully will be able to balance the food with the treadmill over the next week and if its a warm day on Sept 13th I'll have an advantage in the heat....

Holidays over and back at work. Got another few runs in on the treadmill but nothing major so headed out today for 5 miles wondering how much fitness I've lost over the last 2 weeks. Not too bad, did 1.5 miles warmup then a 6:40 mile, then 6:22 mile, then cooldown at around 7:15 pace. Total 5 miles @ average pace 6:56. Felt ok but had no heart rate monitor with me unfortunately which would have given me best indication of where I was at.

Cork HM on Sunday so won't do any hard runs between now and then, just easy runs with a few strides. Will go for 1:23 on Sunday which is 6:20 pace but will maybe go conservative on the first half, 6:25/6:30 as its uphill, cutting back if my heart rate goes too high and try to make it back in the second half. Hopefully will find the 305 heart rate strap this evening so I can gauge tomorrow what shape I'm in.

• Advertisement

Welcome back, good going getting that run in after d hol.

Mite see ya Sun sure, got number in post other day.

Advertisement