Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer/Autumn Goals

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

In light of 3km series starting next week, I thought I'd try an interval session with some shorter faster reps. Aim was 8x 0.33 mile at 5:15 pace with 90sec jog recovery. Had been struggling a bit with Asthma at the weekend and after 3rd rep I realised I was getting an attack rather than being unable to hold the pace so I had to slow back to a walk to recover as I had no inhaler with me. Moved house at the weekend and I think all the dust inhalation that entails was a bit too much for me. Managed to control it though and get going at a jog again. Total 4.8miles @ avg pace 7:49, avg HR 152.

Plan was an easy thirds progression run (in torrential rain). Did first 2 miles @8:00 pace, then 2.3 miles @7:08 (HR 157), then 2.5 miles @6:50 pace (HR 165), then half mile cooldown

Total: 7.1 Avg pace 07:11 HR 155

Felt nice and easy today and no asthma problems, was refreshing running in the rain.

Oct 8th

failed attempt at a tempo run as I got an asthma attack. Ended up as 4.5 miles easy @7:08 pace, avg HR 158

Oct 9th

re-attempted the tempo run, plan was 6 miles @6:12 pace. Did 4.2 miles @ avg pace 6:11 and then felt that was enough as I wasn't fully recovered from the asthma, but was very happy with the run. Total 7.1 miles avg pace 6:41.

Oct 11th

12.85 miles LSR. Avg pace 7:05, avg HR 156. Did 7 miles @ avg pace 7:07, then 4 miles @ 6:45 (avg HR 164), then another 1.85 miles cooldown at 7:40 pace (up clarkes hill, this will have to be a poor mans substitute for HOTW as I've decided to do Connemara as my next marathon). This run felt very easy, the tempo runs @6:10-6:15 pace are definitely paying off in that it seems much easier to run paces @ 6:45-6:50. Passed the 1000 mile mark also finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Gringo78 wrote: »

Oct 11th

Passed the 1000 mile mark also finally!

Nice one Gringo.

4.15 miles easy @ avg pace 7:19, avg HR 148

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

This run felt very easy, the tempo runs @6:10-6:15 pace are definitely paying off in that it seems much easier to run paces @ 6:45-6:50.

Thats the way to do it Gringo...if you do maybe 6 or 7 @ 6:20/6:25p...they will be more benificial for marathon training when you get started.
    I find them great...makes the LSR's easier to do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

well done on 1000mile mark lad, fair going!

eliwallach wrote: »
    Nice one Gringo.

Didn't realise during the run that I was completing the 1000 miles so unfortunately there were was no fist pumping or high fiving imaginary villagers....will have to wait until next years 1000mile challenge i guess.

Sosa wrote: »
    Thats the way to do it Gringo...if you do maybe 6 or 7 @ 6:20/6:25p...they will be more benificial for marathon training when you get started.
    I find them great...makes the LSR's easier to do also.

yeah, was thinking that...also I suppose longer intervals 1-2 miles?? would be better for marathon training...at what point do the longer intervals become like tempos?

Was looking into how to modify my training for marathon training in January and need a 'big' workout sometime midweek which should be something that lasts at least 90min...that would need to be a something like 1.5 mile warmup, 4x2mile, 1.5 mile cooldown, that would be around 13 miles / >90min.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

yeah, was thinking that...also I suppose longer intervals 1-2 miles?? would be better for marathon training...at what point do the longer intervals become like tempos?

Was looking into how to modify my training for marathon training in January and need a 'big' workout sometime midweek which should be something that lasts at least 90min...that would need to be a something like 1.5 mile warmup, 4x2mile, 1.5 mile cooldown, that would be around 13 miles / >90min.

You would not want to be doing to many 13m runs in 90 mins...thats sub 3 pace...you will burn yourself out...key is to push yourself but not to the point of possible injury...unless your going for sub 2:50 or something like that.
    from what i gather tempos are not supposed to be long...the longest tempo i did was 12m w/7 @ 6:20,and that was only once...my program seemed to have tempos for the first 2 months and intervals for the last 2...
    Did my last one this morning 8m w/3m @ 5k pace :D

• Advertisement

Plan was interval session, 6x1km @ 5:50 pace with jog recovery of half the rep time. Reps pace per mile were (avg HR in brackets):

5:50 (165) / 5:49 (172) / 5:54 (176) / 5:49 (175) / 5:56 (176) / 5:59 (180)

Total: 6.1 miles avg pace 6:42, avg HR 164

Happy with todays session, could only complete 5 reps of this 2 weeks ago and although the last rep was tough, I never had any doubt I could complete the session. Never ceases to amaze me though how tough such a session feels and yet its 6x1km at 5:50 when I can run 5km at 5:45 pace?? Goes to show how much the adrenaline, drafting etc contributes in a race.

4 miles easy @ avg pace 7:39, avg HR 147. Included 300m up a savage hill which I do every easy run now since a few weeks ago, the hill is only marginally getting easier each run but I'm in this for the long haul so I can be patient :D

Left calf is little bit off today, probably from the faster intervals. East Cork 3k series is actually not starting till next week but I'm thinking now maybe I might skip this altogether, might have contributed to injury earlier in the year which severly hampered any training Jan/Feb/March. Main aim is HM in december and a 3k race is really at the other end of the spectrum so will not race it but may do it as part of an interval session and not go all out. 4 mile BHAA race on Nov 1st coming up which is a Summer/Autumn Goal so thats probably next race on the horizon.

Giving tuesday a miss as well, will aim to do HSE 4 though, need to get some speed back into legs after these longer races...

Nice intervals the other day, your in flying form lately lad!

tisnotover wrote: »
    your in flying form lately lad!

Cheers...calf wasn't so good though on friday morning, had intended to do 6 mile tempo but realised from the off that that wouldn;t be a good idea so did 4 miles easy and I think I need to give it a rest for a week....should still be ok for the HSE 4 though.

give it a rest for a while anyway lad, and test water with a light run on it at some stage.

speedy recovery!

Oct 16th

4.1 miles easy @ 7:52 pace, avg HR 145.

Oct 19th

5.45 miles easy at avg pace 7:23, Avg HR 152.

Oct 20th

3.4 miles easy at avg pace 7:33, avg HR 153

Calf was sore on the 16th when I went to run, after the weekends rest it was a lot better yesterday and today but still not up to a tempo or interval session so I'm going to keep it easy for a week and maybe go to physio.

LSR 12.6 miles @ avg pace 7:21, avg HR 160.

Run felt very easy and most of the miles were done at a very easy feeling 7:15 pace, however, didn't look at the pace too much and also didn't look at the HR at all and was a little surprised to see the HR at the end in the 160's as it didn't feel so high. Calf was a lot better but still not right so I think I need another week of easy running.

Hadn't run since Thursday....it being a bank holiday weekend decided it was a good opportunity to give the calf a decent rest....so was very eager to get going today and even though i should really have taken things easy today, decided to do a tempo....but an easier paced one. Sosa had suggesed 6/7 @ 6:20 pace so decided 6 @ 6:25 shouldn;t stress me too much.

Plan was Tempo run with 6 miles @ 6:25 pace
    Splits 6:24 (165) / 6:27 (173) / 6:24 (177) / 6:14 (174) / 6:23 (176) / 6:23 (178) avg split pace: 6:22

Total: 7.1 miles @ avg pace 6:33, avg HR 171

This one felt good today....felt I could have knocked out a 10 miler at that pace today so I'd say I must have been pretty much at my LT pace. Think I'll give the itervals a break for a few weeks and stick with easier paced tempos of 6:20/6:25 and stop trying to force to pace to 6:10. Hopefully that should see me stay in good shape. Semi giving up on target of 1:23 in Waterford half....only 6 full weeks of training left and I've only been averaging 25 mpw since the Cork HM. Will be running 4 mile race hopefully on Sunday so looking forward to that...target 23:00-23:20

Well, didn't run since the last tempo run....about 6 hours after that run, calf was as bad as its been so all was not good. Skipped the 4 miler on Sunday. Went for a 4 mile easy run today and calf is a lot better but still not right. Have to go to a physio this week me thinks, training has been seriously hindered now for the last 2 1/2 weeks which is too much.

Good deal of stretching in the last 24hr so felt up to doing a moderate tempo.

Plan was Tempo run with 6 miles @ 6:25 pace

Splits 6:18 (168) / 6:25 (175) / 6:23 (177) / 6:21 (174) / 6:33 (179) / 6:37 (181). Average mile pace 6:26. Last 2 miles were into a gale so had to work hard but its good I think to always have the toughest miles at the end. Calf ok afterwards after plenty of stretching so I think I'm on the mend.

Unfortunately though i think I'm back about where I was in early august which is a bit disheartening that have gone backwards since end of august...although I was doing 30 mpw July/august and sept/oct have dropped back to 20 mpw which is just about enough to maintain my fitness.

Total: 7.1 miles @ avg pace 6:35, avg HR 172

• Advertisement

3.65 miles recovery @ avg pace 7:37, avg HR 155. Calf improved today, again plenty of stretching, so a lot more positive today after the tempo yesterday. First time being able to run 3 days in a row in 3 weeks! Hopefully can now get a clear run between now and the Waterford HM.

Good to hear ure getting back into it lad.

Ya mentioned mileage in an earlier post of about 25miles/week, and thats where I am at moment as well (~4days/week).

I think its enough to keep us ticking over winter to be honest, a speed or tempo session and a long run inlcuded as part of it are important I think.

Forgot to say that they were giving out application forms already for the Cork Marathon at the end of the race last Sunday, crazy!!
    There's talks that the route is going to be changed for next year to cut out some of the hills around the 20mile mark (model farm road).

Nov 5th

3.65 miles @ avg pace 7:29, avg HR 157

Nov 7th

9.7 miles LSR @ avg pace 7:28 avg HR 157. This one felt good, no problems with calf during or after and I bounded up clarkes hill for the first time, I think incorporating a pretty nasty 1/4 mile hill in all my midweek easy runs is paying off in making what is a nasty hill in itself, feel a lot easier.

28 miles for last week after averaging only 15mpw for the 3 previous weeks, so a definite improvement and over the injury fingers crossed. Will stay away from the short races and intervals less than 1km over the winter though.

Nov 11th

4 mile tempo run @ 6:30 pace average (Total 7.1 miles)

Nov 16th

4 mile run @ avg pace 6:58, avg HR 167

Going on holidays on Dec 12th for a week so unfortunately won't be doing the Waterford HM now. Haven't been training consistently the last 4 weeks so I wouldn't have had any chance of making my goal time so will have to leave the HM the attempt until probably Cork HM in Spet 2010.

Goals back in June were:

1. Sub 24min 4 mile - Current PB 24:51 Didn't race but ran Sub 24 for final 4 miles of 5 mile race (final 4 miles were net uphill)

2. Sub 30min 5 mile - Current PB 31:23 Reduced this to 29:38

3. Sub 18min 5km - Current PB 18:35 Ran 17:56 in early August.

4. Sub 1hr 23min HM - Current PB 1:44, however haven't raced this distance in 13 months, Ran 1hr36min for 1st half cork Marathon Ran 1:30:02 in Cork HM...poor race, threw in towel in this one.

[SIZE=+0]So I've made some progress over the summer/autumn and should be in a better position to start marathon training in anger in January than l was last March starting training for Cork. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Signed up today for Connemara Marathon on April 11th (Entries filling up fast so didn't want to be left without one) so the goal will be to continue improving between now and Janaury to be in good shape for the start of marathon training. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Getting myself a treadmill which should mean I'll be in a position to get a lot more miles in this winter without compromising family life too much. I think I've learned a good bit more about my training paces..tempos, intervals, LSR's etc since last marathon so am looking forward to a much more structured approach to Connemara.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]
    Will wind up this log now as I think Summer/Autumn Goals is at an end....winter is most definitly here anyways....and will return in January with a new marathon training log detailing suitably lofty and semi unachievable ambitions.
    [/SIZE]

Some improvement since June lad in fairness. And your in a much better position to start new marathon programme in new year.

All best with new goals. Mite see ya over winter at few races sure.

Advertisement