Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is it that..

• 23-06-2009 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

just after the race starts the race leaders lap times are significantly slower then their 3rd session qualifying. Considering that they start on new tyres typically and the fuel should be lower then 3rd session qualifying. I realise there can be track temp differences and the potential to be on different tyre compound to quallie but the difference seems significant

Consider Vettel on Sunday there.

Pole position time was 1:19:509

Then his lap times

1 13:04:52
    2 1:22.338
    3 1:21.823
    4 1:21.618
    5 1:21.702
    6 1:21.458
    7 1:21.275

What am I missing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

They dont push the car to the limit because they want the tyres fuel to last longer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Because Q3 is all about gearing up to do the single fastest lap you can. The race is all about the.. race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

The fuel isn't lower. They refuel the cars at before the race to the level of fuel they had at the start of Q3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

smooch71 wrote: »
    The fuel isn't lower. They refuel the cars at before the race to the level of fuel they had at the start of Q3.

Are you sure about that?

I always thought the amount of fuel put it at the start of Q3 was for quali plus race and that fuel is not touched again until the first pitstop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Are you sure about that?

I always thought the amount of fuel put it at the start of Q3 was for quali plus race and that fuel is not touched again until the first pitstop.

Pretty sure, unless they've changed the rules lately but my understanding is that you start q3 on the fuel you intend to start the race with, declaring that fuel to the FIA.

When the session is over, the tank is topped up again to exactly that level.

The difference between the other two sessions is, if you don't make it through to Q3, the team can put in or take out whatever amount of fuel they want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

smooch71 wrote: »
    Pretty sure, unless they've changed the rules lately but my understanding is that you start q3 on the fuel you intend to start the race with, declaring that fuel to the FIA.

When the session is over, the tank is topped up again to exactly that level.

The difference between the other two sessions is, if you don't make it through to Q3, the team can put in or take out whatever amount of fuel they want.

ya ur right.

Advertisement