Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance question

• 23-06-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

Ok further to my recent thread I have discovered that my insurance company has closed off a claim and paid out absolutely nothing to the other guy. They have restored my NCB to the full 5 years

Now do you have to declare this to future insurers? It seems that places like AXA and Hibernian still load on the basis of being not at fault in an accident. Some companies say that once they have not paid out you don't need to declare it. Others like Quinn ask about no fault accidents.

I would be grateful to hear of your opinions.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It appears that there are no claims (one was dismissed) against your policy so IMO nothing to declare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

it would appear to be no claims, but a lot of insurers ask the question, have you been involved in an accident in the last 5 years.... if they ask you that, then you are obliged to be honest and tell them yes and give the details on it...

might be no claim, but there still was an accident...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

kbannon wrote: »
    It appears that there are no claims (one was dismissed) against your policy so IMO nothing to declare!

+1 They cant hold that against you. If they did then they are finding you liable....even though your insurer found you in the right.

Once you have your NCB then your find IMHO. (But im no expert like the Garda on Traffic blues last week:rolleyes::D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

robtri wrote: »
    it would appear to be no claims, but a lot of insurers ask the question, have you been involved in an accident in the last 5 years.... if they ask you that, then you are obliged to be honest and tell them yes and give the details on it...

And some are holding it against me. Principle of no smoke without fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

have you been involved in an accident in the last 5 years....
    Yes, this appears to be the problem. They don't ask if you have been involved in an accident that was your fault.

A good few years ago, while driving a vehicle belonging to our employer, one of my work colleagues was involved in an accident where he was not at fault. On renewing his private motor policy, he was asked if he was ever involved in an accident. He answered truthfully that he was and explained that it was in an employer's vehicle and that he, and the employer were not held liable. They still loaded him! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Just ask your current insurance company for a one liner on headed paper stating the one claim reported was settled with no payments to you or third party.
    That along with your 5 yr NCB should sort ya out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Accident must still be declared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I have to agree 100%. You are obliged to declare it but I am staggered that some insurers are taking it in to consideration. Closing off a claim against you with nil payment is a full vindication of your position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

oldyouth wrote: »
    I have to agree 100%. You are obliged to declare it but I am staggered that some insurers are taking it in to consideration. Closing off a claim against you with nil payment is a full vindication of your position.

I believe that there is some evidence, to show that statiscally if you have one accident, whether your fault or not, you are statistically more likely to have another accident over somebody who hasn't had an accident in the last couple of years... I believe that this is the case and the reason for the loading iirc

Advertisement