Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant & Fees Help

Options
  • 23-06-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advise here please?

I have been unemployed since April 17th and currently claiming Job Seeker's Benefit.

I applied to go back to college to undertake an undergraduate degree in Aeronautical Engineering and have been accepted.

However I already have a degree in Computer Systems but I'm led to believe I cannot get any grants or allowances if I already have a degree.

Is it possible I can receive BTEA of any other benefits or anything at all?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advise here please?

I have been unemployed since April 17th and currently claiming Job Seeker's Benefit.

I applied to go back to college to undertake an undergraduate degree in Aeronautical Engineering and have been accepted.

However I already have a degree in Computer Systems but I'm led to believe I cannot get any grants or allowances if I already have a degree.

Is it possible I can receive BTEA of any other benefits or anything at all?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

You can only get the BTEA if it is your fist time doing a degree,I'm not sure about the grant contact your local county council

• Registered Users Posts: 44 buzzybb

hiya,
    im in the same boat myself, i rang BTEA office in sligo (i think) and they said to apply for it anyway because they look at every individual case.im relying on it to work as iv been accepted to start a new course in trinity.give it a shot anyway.regarding the grant u definately cannot receive it if you had it before.if you didnt receive if for ur first time in college then u can receive it now.
    hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

To correct you there buzzybb,

You cannot get the grant to study for a qualification the same as or lesser than one you already hold, regardless of whether you were in receipt of the grant your first time in college. That's set in stone, and they won't budge on it.

As for the BTEA, students who already hold a degree can only receive the BTEA in "exceptional circumstances." What consitutes such a circumstance is in need of clarification however.

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

ditmature wrote: »
    To correct you there buzzybb,

You cannot get the grant to study for a qualification the same as or lesser than one you already hold, regardless of whether you were in receipt of the grant your first time in college. That's set in stone, and they won't budge on it.

As for the BTEA, students who already hold a degree can only receive the BTEA in "exceptional circumstances." What consitutes such a circumstance is in need of clarification however.

Bob

Thanks Bob

I have rung the necessary bodies and they have confirmed the above. Looks like i'll have to pay the full fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 buzzybb

this is what i dont get.....
    why did they tell me to apply to the BTEA anyway and then when you rang they didnt tell you?im all confused with that!!! anyways good luck with college.

• Advertisement
Advertisement