Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a wetsuit in Waterford

Options
  • 23-06-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting into a bit of swimming in Dunmore over the summer and I think I'll buy a short wetsuit.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy one in Waterford without being robbed blind ideally?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think a few of the surf shops in Tramore sell'em. It's been a long time since I bought (And fit into) mine.

Two tips though - Don't buy online, a wetsuit is something you need a good fit in, and two, a shortie is a pain in the arse, if I were you, I'd go for a full wetsuit and head out in Spring/Autumn (And maybe for a dare in Winter) too. I had a shortie, and while it was great, I remember going fairly blue in the bad weather... not that I was out too much in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

What kind of swimming will you be doing? I ask because a short wetsuit is usually a surfers style wetsuit. It's fine for paddling about but if you're serious about swimming you'd be better off going with a triathlon style wetsuit.

For a surfers style wetsuit the Surf Shop in Tramore have some good ones.

For a triathlon style wetsuit Spokes Cycles in town have a few.

Edit: I agree with the above poster about shortie wetsuits. It's never really warm enough in Ireland to get away with wearing one of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

What is wrong with all of you swimsuits for giong swimming in pfft. I my day and even now I'd have no problem getting in in just a swim suit. It's only water and it's not that cold if your swimming in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

trishw78 wrote: »
    What is wrong with all of you swimsuits for giong swimming in pfft. I my day and even now I'd have no problem getting in in just a swim suit. It's only water and it's not that cold if your swimming in it.
    HA! you think you had it tough. In my day we had to dive into the quay river stark naked and swim over to ferrybank and back every morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

Wet suits are for surfers, small children and wimps :D

• Advertisement

deise-lady wrote: »
    Wet suits are for surfers, small children and wimps :D
    you go girl :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Might be able to sort you out, iv sent ya a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

old gregg wrote: »
    HA! you think you had it tough. In my day we had to dive into the quay river stark naked and swim over to ferrybank and back every morning

Luxury! Oh I used to dream of 'aving a river to dive into. In my day, my dad would wake us up at 2am by beating our bare backs with a leather strap. Then he would pee on the floor and have us swim through it until we couldn't feel the sting anymore.

gscully wrote: »
    Luxury! Oh I used to dream of 'aving a river to dive into. In my day, my dad would wake us up at 2am by beating our bare backs with a leather strap. Then he would pee on the floor and have us swim through it until we couldn't feel the sting anymore.
    that's the winner :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Rexelac

Deeveys in town sell wetsuits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

trishw78 wrote: »

When weeee were young there was 15 of us to a shirt!!! :D

Thanks for all the tips. I'm only starting out with the odd paddle that might end up with me swimming the 750m leg of the triathlon some day.

The idea of the shortie was just to use in the summer in Ireland when its warmish but I'd be more comfortable. Im a wuss so I'll be in the pool for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I knew In my day... would lead to trouble

Seriously the water is not that cold it's only cold if your not moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

If you want one only for the summer you'll get a cheap 3mm one in Morris's but if its something you think you'll use a fair bit go for a 6mm or 5 mm one from one of the shops in Tramore.When I got my first wet suit was advised to not go for the cheap ones as they'd fall apart and irritate your neck and load of other things.Of course didn't listen and found out the hard way that if you go cheap prepare to buy twice.
    There are some nice Adler 5mm ones in one of the shops out there for around 120 squid, made by the same crowd that make big brand ones and the quality is up there with the best of em.I'd nearly advise you to get boots as well, seems to be a ****e load of jelly fish around at the moment.Was out in Tramore last week and the beech was covered in the feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Meatwad wrote: »
    If you want one only for the summer you'll get a cheap 3mm one in Morris's but if its something you think you'll use a fair bit go for a 6mm or 5 mm one from one of the shops in Tramore.When I got my first wet suit was advised to not go for the cheap ones as they'd fall apart and irritate your neck and load of other things.Of course didn't listen and found out the hard way that if you go cheap prepare to buy twice.
    There are some nice Adler 5mm ones in one of the shops out there for around 120 squid, made by the same crowd that make big brand ones and the quality is up there with the best of em.I'd nearly advise you to get boots as well, seems to be a ****e load of jelly fish around at the moment.Was out in Tramore last week and the beech was covered in the feckers.

Agreed with all the above, and as for the boots suggestion - completely agree!
    Had the pleasure of hurting my foot last week by (I think) a crab who decided my toe looked like a good thing to try to snip off when I stood on him :( (although am sure the poor yoke probably still has a massive headache from me accidentally standing on it). Boots for me from now on!

Rakes of jellyfish on the beach in Tramore last week, boots will give you a bit of confidence that you're not in for a nasty sting if you stand on a jellyfish.

I know most people will happily go in in the summer in just a swimming togs, but if you're serious about doing a lot of swimming and hope to swim and train well into the autumn before you hit the pools, a wetsuit will enable you to stay out in the water for longer sessions, and you'll be able head out with out doing the "argh" dance as the water hits your nethers if the weather is rubbish.

I'm coming from the base of having not been in the sea for about 10 years though. I've done less than 100 lengths of a pool in the last 3 years. This is just something to get me back in the water once a week over the summer and we'll see from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Go to nicky's shop in tramore, he'll sort you out, he has a site online you can view suits on.

http://www.tramoresurfshop.com

Well you might get away with a cheapo suit then, alright, although you might find your movement a teeny bit restricted as the cheaper suits tend to be slightly stiffer/not as flexible as the more expensive ones, and more prone to quicker wear and tear especially on seams.

Having said that, the cheapest suit I've seen locally was around 50 for the women's one (and 90 for the mens) in Morrisses, so if you're shelling out the guts of 100 anyway for a men's suit, might be best to spring the extra 50 or so quid for something that will last longer and will do you all year round if you decide to stick with the outdoor swimming.

I have a cheapo 3/2 suit (not a shortie) and I'm fine and toasty in the water at the moment, can stay out for hours without feeling a bit of cold, although will defo be picking up a better quality 5/4 in the Autumn.

stick-dan wrote: »
    Go to nicky's shop in tramore, he'll sort you out, he has a site online you can view suits on.

http://www.tramoresurfshop.com

Kaspersky Anti Virus throws up errors when you click on the surf school link.
    Some suspect stuff happening on that site it would seem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

old gregg wrote: »
    Kaspersky Anti Virus throws up errors when you click on the surf school link.
    Some suspect stuff happening on that site it would seem.

Try here instead;
    http://www.discovertramore.ie/view?p=Tramore_Surf_Shop

This is how I recommended to the OP earlier over PM. You will find that he is a reliable, honest and decent guy. A member of Boards I think.

Sully wrote: »
    Try here instead;
    http://www.discovertramore.ie/view?p=Tramore_Surf_Shop

You will find that he is a reliable, honest and decent guy. A member of Boards I think.
    Agreed, he's a good sort. He's a member here on boards alright.

• Advertisement

I'll head out there tomorrow and check it out. I'll trust his judgement and get whichever one he recommends once I tell him what I'm after.

I went for a little recce mission to a few of the swimming spots in Waterford tonight without swimming, just to see them. Some I hadnt been to since I was a young child. Garras (sp?) is an amazing little spot, as is Councillors in Dunmore. The Gillimines (sp? again!) was full of people.. again I havent been swimming there before either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

a big plus 1 for nicky in tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭ak51535

Hi just wondering if anyone here would know of any cheap wetsuits for sale anywhere in Tramore or Waterford?
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

ak51535 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone here would know of any cheap wetsuits for sale anywhere in Tramore or Waterford?
    Thanks in advance!

Am almost certain that i heard an ad for reduced wetsuits in Morris DIY. I seem to remember seeing the Portwest range on sale in there at some stage.
    You could also try some of the surf shops in Tramore. I think they may even sell secondhand ones from time to time.

Advertisement