Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just saw a broken pipe in my car!

• 23-06-2009 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Well, here goes. I don't know much about cars, so I when noticed the coolant tank was empty I went to top it up & a week later it was nearly empty again, so I thought there may be a leak in there, somewhere & I looked around with a torch to see better (we have an underground car park), and I saw

1.jpg

and

2.jpg.

Here's a closer look at it

crop.jpg

A tube has broken off the fat little motor at the bottom of the engine.

It looks like its part of the aircon system, does anyone know what this part is called? And any idea on how much it would cost to have this replaced/fixed (can i just glue it back with Araldite)?

I just tested the aircon and it does not cool the car, I've only used the heater ever since I bought the car & that's worked fine, now I know there's no cooling, just warm air.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Looks like the AC alright...if you dont use it just leave it, it'll cost you for a new pipe, re-gas and labour...prob not wort it....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

the way the weather is going these days, i may just have to do it! or maybe i should give up the wanderlust & read some more books in the park :-)

any rough idea on how much the new pipe, gas & labour would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

tintar wrote: »
    the way the weather is going these days, i may just have to do it! or maybe i should give up the wanderlust & read some more books in the park :-)

any rough idea on how much the new pipe, gas & labour would be?

It all depends on the car and how old it is.

Fixing the air con could be a big job if it's an old break. All the seals could have perished and would need to be replaced. But if it only happened recently the seals could be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

The bulge in the pipe I think is the aircon drier it dries moisture out of the aircon gases.
    If the system has been like that for a while, dirt and other nasties will have found there way into the pipework. You could replace the pipe and use a diy can to recharge the system minimal cost but it may not work.

The compressor may be damaged. Cans of refrigerant cost about 40 quid if I remember and it worked for me. The gas contains an oil lubricant and if the compressor has been running without the oil/gas it may have become rumbly or noisy. Though there is an electric clutch which engages/disengages it so this may not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

thanks for the replies, its a Nissan Primera late 2002 model. i think i'll ring a few garages tomorrow to see what they say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The broken pipe doesnt explain the low coolant however, and since this could be a potentially engine killing propble, I would get that checked out first!!

Advertisement