Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed the boss

Options
  • 23-06-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. i'm in a bit of a conundrum and any advice would be appreciated.

I've been working part time in a cafe during college all year. Did weekends, there wqas one other part timer. We got a new manager about two weeks before my exams ended. I spoke to her about my summer hours, everything was grand, she said she should be able to give me three or four shifts a week. First two weeks I worked five or six shifts a week. She the hired her own stepson and a part timer who had worked there last summer. My hours have been reduced, so that for the last three weeks I've only gotten weekends. I've worked every sat and sunday since i finished exams. Meanwhile, these two are getting five shifts a week

So I spoke to her and asked were my hours reduced for any particular reason, that I was a bit surprised I was getting so little. She said, oh, everyone wants more hours, and the owner was after her to cut cut cut, and she'd see what she could do to share them out. Then I went into work Saturday. The roster had been changed during the week without letting me know, so I was in two hours early and had to just hang around for that time. And I'd gotten zero hours again for next week. So I was fairly pissed off.

I then rang the owner, said I didnt think I was being treated fairly, and that I just wanted him to know in case i decided to leave and he said i should have told him. He, pretty much, brushed me off, said it was up to her and he'd look into it.

Then this morning I get a text from the manager, asking me to call to see her tommorrow. I'm not meant to be working. Was I out of order? Should I apologise? Starting to get a little anxious about the whole thing now...

Thanks, and Sorry for the length...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Personal Issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Hi. i'm in a bit of a conundrum and any advice would be appreciated.

I've been working part time in a cafe during college all year. Did weekends, there wqas one other part timer. We got a new manager about two weeks before my exams ended. I spoke to her about my summer hours, everything was grand, she said she should be able to give me three or four shifts a week. First two weeks I worked five or six shifts a week. She the hired her own stepson and a part timer who had worked there last summer. My hours have been reduced, so that for the last three weeks I've only gotten weekends. I've worked every sat and sunday since i finished exams. Meanwhile, these two are getting five shifts a week

So I spoke to her and asked were my hours reduced for any particular reason, that I was a bit surprised I was getting so little. She said, oh, everyone wants more hours, and the owner was after her to cut cut cut, and she'd see what she could do to share them out. Then I went into work Saturday. The roster had been changed during the week without letting me know, so I was in two hours early and had to just hang around for that time. And I'd gotten zero hours again for next week. So I was fairly pissed off.

I then rang the owner, said I didnt think I was being treated fairly, and that I just wanted him to know in case i decided to leave and he said i should have told him. He, pretty much, brushed me off, said it was up to her and he'd look into it.

Then this morning I get a text from the manager, asking me to call to see her tommorrow. I'm not meant to be working. Was I out of order? Should I apologise? Starting to get a little anxious about the whole thing now...

Thanks, and Sorry for the length...

You could be being called in to discuss more hours. Dont worry thay cant fire you for complaining, if thats the case no one would have a job

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I get a text from the manager, asking me to call to see her tommorrow. I'm not meant to be working
    She is displaying very poor managerial skills by texting an employee. The least she could have done was telephone you.
    thay cant fire you for complaining, if thats the case no one would have a job
    If he/she has been employed for less than 365 days, they can dismiss him/her without reason (except in some exceptional circumstances).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

She is displaying very poor managerial skills by texting an employee. The least she could have done was telephone you.
    If he/she has been employed for less than 365 days, they can dismiss him/her without reason (except in some exceptional circumstances).
    Is it that long? I thought it was 90 days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Victor wrote: »
    Is it that long? I thought it was 90 days.
    365 before unfair dismissal act kicks in (excluding the big seven of gender, race, religion etc.) if my memory is not to foggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

I think its a year, unless you have a probation period in your contract. In which case you just have to finish probation and you have the same rights as a full time employee ie. they cant just let u go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

cronos wrote: »
    I think its a year, unless you have a probation period in your contract. In which case you just have to finish probation and you have the same rights as a full time employee ie. they cant just let u go.

Yep - no more than a year, but can be less depending on what's in the contract. There are some exceptions, but this isn't one.

Advertisement