Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good books and tapes

Options
  • 23-06-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

I'm an absolute beginner and i have linguaphone but no book.
    the linguaphone is okay just to listen to but i don't learn well without having something to read!

Can anyone recommend any good books that come with pronunciation Cds. I was in Modern Languages beside the pearse st DART station and there were loads so I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good one.

Or any secondary school books that come with a CD?

I also need to learn how to comprehend written spanish as much as being able to speak it so with that in mind!

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

You should maybe get a more intensive language course from linguaphone. Linguaphone usually come with more than a tape.

www.linguaphone.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Thanks! I looked into it and they are about 200e, a bit above my budget!

I was thinking of something less than 50e anyway.

I might just take the plunge and pick one of the shelf and hope for the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Perhaps you should ask somebody in Modern Languages. I'm sure there must be a linguist of some sort who works there. They would be the best to advise you.
    There's also the International Language bookshop just off Nassau Street (You pass kilkenny on Nassau street going up towards Modern Languages and while passing it there is a side road. It's down there).
    If you are planning on learning Spanish tell them why you want to learn Spanish..e.g. Moving or Holiday to Spain/Latin America (There are cassettes that only focus on Latin American Spanish..Beware of this if you want to learn Spanish in general) or just as a new language. If you tell them this I'm sure they can find you something suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

I dont know if Modern Languages stock it but I highly recommend Assimil's Spanish with Ease. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-Ease-Assimil-Method-Books/dp/2700510704/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246465067&sr=8-1

Comes with CDs and book with 108 lessons, which should take about 6 months to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

If you have a nintendo ds you can buy "Teach yourself Spanish". It covers quite a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Defo check out the Michel Thomas beginner course in spanish. It's decent, and fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Overblood wrote: »
    Defo check out the Michel Thomas beginner course in spanish. It's decent, and fun!

Someone put this on my mp3 player before I arrived in Sth America and I did learn a few things alright.
    I like his teaching style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 GoingBk2School

I can't agree more. I've completed the Michelle Thomas Foundation Course, Advanced Course, Language Builder and Vocab Builder, and I've just sat my Leaving Cert in which I expect to get an A. I love the Michelle Thomas Method, and because you can do the full course in the various installments, it's a bit more affordable.

Anyway questions, I'd be glad to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

The most difficult thing about learnig spanish though is the speed! How do you practice in the speed department? Michel Thomas can teach you structure and grammar etc, but the damn spanyols speak too rapido!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

The most difficult thing about learnig spanish though is the speed! How do you practice in the speed department? Michel Thomas can teach you structure and grammar etc, but the damn spanyols speak too rapido!

You know what it feels like now!
    Unless they dont need to rediscover the grammar after phrases like "how are yous doing" or "there are less people in this qeue " both incorrect :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

A technique I read about for listening comprehension is called listening-reading.

You’ll need an audiobook in Spanish and the book itself in Spanish.
    Basically you just read the book while listening to the audiobook, it doesn’t matter if you don’t understand what you are reading as all your trying to do is get a handle on the sounds of the language and how individual words sound in sentences.

I suppose it’s all about input, get enough of it and after a while you start to hear the individual words in a sentence even if you are not sure of their meanings.

Advertisement