Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF attacking the vulnerable

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

solice wrote: »
    Subtract minimum wage from your salary, subtract minimum wage from their salary and whats the difference?

The minimum wage is not due to the local economy in Ireland, its due to the Govts. co-operation with Unions. We had a high minimum wage and a good economy and now we have a high minimum wage and a bad economy.

Correct but now do the same for the public sector and see if you get the same difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for cutting wages rather than raising taxes. Meaning that public expenditure is spent on the things that matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Correct but now do the same for the public sector and see if you get the same difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for cutting wages rather than raising taxes. Meaning that public expenditure is spent on the things that matter!

Absolutely! Cut public sector salaries but dont say that they are 30% higher, you have to account for minimum wage and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

solice wrote: »
    I agree with you, too much is spent on salaries and not enough on the services. But I notice time and time again that people say that Irish public service workers are paid more than their EU counterparts, you say by as much as 30%. Now I believe that they are paid too much so im not trying to contradict you. But, can the difference be accounted for by things like the minimum wage in Ireland being much higher than in many other EU countries. Its a bit disingenous to say they are paid more without trying to explain the reasons behind it.

Now I hate the unions and I believe that they are responsible for the public sector being paid more than they should. But at the end of the day, basic pay in Ireland is more than the basic pay in many EU countries.

I am completly open to correction on that and would love to be contradicted

the core of our problems i believe stem from the fact that most irish people believed ( due to the property bubble ) that we were a richer country than the uk , belguim , austria etc when in fact we are probably less wealthy than those countries , as such , we and public servants back in the day decided they were worth 30% more than thier counterparts in europe , the property bubble is burst and we realise our wealth was built on real estate appreciation and credit and we are not as wealthy as we thought , unfortunatley our public sector is still living with a pre bust mindset and thus believe they are entitled to be earning more than nurses , police and teachers in countries which are actually wealthier than us

it dont add up

Advertisement