Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first DSLR!

• 23-06-2009 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Just got news this evening that I won the Volvo Ocean Race Photographic Competition with Fahy Foto... netting a nice Nikon D-60VR!! :eek: :eek: Didn't expect to get my hands on a DSLR for another couple of years (student budget) so very shocked and delighted!

So now I can hang with you cool kids! :cool: Finally my Fuji s6500fd can take a breather! (<< still great bridge camera btw)

I havn't received the camera yet, so was thinking... before I rip the box open - would you recommend a Nikon D-60VR?? As I wasn't in the market for a dslr I haven't been keeping up to date with the current range, and didn't participate in the Canon Vs Nikon debate yet. So if there's any reason why I should sell/exchange it for another camera of equal value - let me know soon as it won't last long in the box when it arrives!! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Congrats!

Yeah the D60 is a great camera, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

way to go you!

great camera by all accounts - no need to look at the gift horse etc, etc..

many thousands of happy actuations to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I have the D60. Great camera. Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Thanks!

Glad the camera's getting the thumbs up! Just wanted to make sure I was making the most of it... would have probably spent months choosing a dslr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Congrats!
    Rip that box to pieces, it's a great camera to get you started.
    The whole Nikon V Canon thing is nonsense at that level, they're fairly well matched.

Have fun, and looking forward to seeing some of your work on here.

BTW - how's about posting up your winning shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

gary82 wrote: »
    Thanks!

Glad the camera's getting the thumbs up! Just wanted to make sure I was making the most of it... would have probably spent months choosing a dslr!

They've just saved you the trouble!

Why not post up the winning entry if the rights are not consumed by a term/conditions of the competition?

You can see the photo here: http://fahyfoto.com/Winner.html

They've uploaded a very compressed and scaled down version of it though. The brief was to capture the "Spirit and Atmosphere" of the stopover in Galway. Some of the others looked better to me, but I must have matched the brief closer... I'll say nothin'.

99.7% sure I can post the image here in good quality, but going to wait until I have the camera in my hands first, just to be sure to be sure! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭clive_odonohoe

definitely open the box and use it, not familiar with the camera, but will be great for your first dslr. upload your winning pic to the thread...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Congratulations Gary, best of luck with a beautiful SLR.
    A superb photo , keep that Fuji as a backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Very nice photo, loads of atmostphere, congrats.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

great pic...enjoy the new camera :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Congrats man, very nice photo

Picked up my new camera today!

(Too cruel asking my Fuji to photograph the new kid in town?!)
    DSCF5174.jpg

And the first ever photo to be taken with it....
    Copy_of_DSC_0001.jpg

It's a lot trickier than I thought to use, will stick at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Hope you enjoyed opening that gold box as much as I did!

Enjoy :)

Christmas Day always falls on the 25th right?! ;)

Advertisement