Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commercial Insurance

• 24-06-2009 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi,

Is it possible to get insurance of a small van without specifying a trade or occupation for which the van would be used?

If so, what insurance companies provide this type of cover.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

We all drove vans in the eighties to beat the recession lower tax etc. Most of the car companies did it, and the ansewer was you couldn't leave your tools in the van you drove in work as it would get robbed, so you needed a personal van. very different times then no jobs house prices were in the toilet er actually.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

stratos wrote: »
    We all drove vans in the eighties to beat the recession lower tax etc. Most of the car companies did it, and the ansewer was you couldn't leave your tools in the van you drove in work as it would get robbed, so you needed a personal van. very different times then no jobs house prices were in the toilet er actually.............

Thanks for the reply but you didnt really answer my question.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

they ask you what you do but dont actually check it out really, just say your job occasionally requires you to move something of low value like boxes of paper or old computers to the dump....

the tax office will ask the same

I thought I did ansewer the question, I was only ever asked once. I told them I was a plumber for a large firm and I drove a company van during the day, but at night I had to return the van to depot, which got robbed a lot so I needed a van to take my tools home each night. They don't check anything they just want to make sure your not carriage for reward (which we all were:)). But I have to say it never really came up all they wanted then was your money. I didn't think it was really much cheaper nowadays to run a light commercial over a car. In the day a Hi ace van was 46 quid to Tax, no tests happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

I thought I did ansewer the question, I was only ever asked once. I told them I was a plumber for a large firm and I drove a company van during the day, but at night I had to return the van to depot, which got robbed a lot so I needed a van to take my tools home each night. They don't check anything they just want to make sure your not carriage for reward (which we all were:)). But I have to say it never really came up all they wanted then was your money. I didn't think it was really much cheaper nowadays to run a light commercial over a car. In the day a Hi ace van was 46 quid to Tax, no tests happy days.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't understand it the way you worded it the first time. This one won't be used for reward so hopefully no problems. Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

FBD or Hibernian will insure a commercial privately.
    FBD marginally better of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You can only insure a van for use in connection with a defined business that you declare to insurers (and nothing else) or on a totally private basis. You can't get cover that will allow you use for any old business activity.

And don't tell them you are a plumber, if your not. You might as well hang on to your money

oldyouth wrote: »
    You can only insure a van for use in connection with a defined business that you declare to insurers (and nothing else) or on a totally private basis. You can't get cover that will allow you use for any old business activity.

And don't tell them you are a plumber, if your not. You might as well hang on to your money
    different days, my ansewer is outdated by about 25 years, oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

different days, my ansewer is outdated by about 25 years, oh well.
    Different days alright Stratos. Insurers used to turn a blind eye to lads with commercial insurance when they knew well they were used privately and for the odd nixer. Now, due to the recession, there are a lot of lads out of work that have vans and willing to do courier work, furniture removal, waste disposal etc and insurers don't like those activities. It is fairly usual for an insurer to ask to see the business headed paper/invoice and VAT number to verify the occupation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you are involved in anything to do with the entertainment industry, ie backline transportation etc most insurance companies dont want to know you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement