Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to fishing..few questions

Options
  • 24-06-2009 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just got my fishing licence, im from Northern Ireland.
    Started fishing today for 5 hours, using worms. didnt catch anything at all, got worm nibbled by small fish but thats about it.
    It was very warm today... do the fish be in shaded areas? If the river is deep do i need to be trying to get the worm close to the bottom?
    Should i be using sweetcorn or artifical baits?

The river has salmon and trout in it. I also tried spinning beside a weir whoch had rapids on it.
    Any help would be good
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Reduce the diameter of line you are using and use as small a hook as you can get away with

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Fish have no eyelids so yes they will lie deep and be quite sleepy in the bright sunny days. Are you ledgering the worms with lead in one spot or letting them float with the current? If I was fishing worms id use small lead shot to keep them down then cast across and let them swing to the near bank. Salmon/ Bigger Trout will be in the dark deep pools. Keep up the spinning in fast waters using a v small sliver/gold spinner size 0 or 1.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭scull2009

Thanks for the info.
    I was using the green coloured line you get (came on the reel) although another day at a fisher I was showed how to connect the thinner more see through line to the end of the green line, so will either use that or just buy new and attached to reel.
    I just had float, then 1 foot below i had a lead ball then half a foot another lead ball, then the hook with worm so the worm wasnt really flowing with under current, only wherever the float took it.

Also was wondering is it necessary for the worm to be alive? as after a while they die and dont move etc.

I think one of my problems is that i don't know which parts of the river are deeper with pools etc, would need a tour by someone in the know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

I'd really only use worms after a bit of a rain. Try using a few maggots instead. Thread about 8 of them onto a small hook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

also, in general the fish won't want to be wasting energy trying to get food, they won't feed in the fast flowing parts of the river. they sit in the pools at the end of the rapids and let the food come to them. sit still on the bank out of sight for a few minutes and you should hear or see the fish rising for flies. The smallest things freak the fish out too, so wear green or brown clothes, don't fidget or change your position too much and if you get caught in a plant or anything don't try to yank the hook out, just cut the line and get a new hook

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭scull2009

juts to bump this up a bit...
    Has anyone else any other ideas?
    Is using sweet corn a good idea?
    would it be of any use to scatter a few worms/magoots/sweetcorn in the area im about to fish in to tempt the fish over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

scull2009 wrote: »
    juts to bump this up a bit...
    Has anyone else any other ideas?
    Is using sweet corn a good idea?
    would it be of any use to scatter a few worms/magoots/sweetcorn in the area im about to fish in to tempt the fish over?
    Reading your posts reminds me of myself when I started fishing all these years ago! :D

I tried sweetcorn: never worked for me... I also tried throwing a handful of maggots in the general area I was fishing and found it didn't make a blind bit of difference...

I would advise asking experienced people for advice and looking where they fish.

Some simple things (some have already been mentioned):

Dress in green/brown to "melt" in the surroundings.
    Be quiet (even "stealthy") as fish really do get freeked out by noisy people!
    Learn how to set up your equipment. I can't go into much detail here as I only know the "fishing vocabulary" in my native French language. But basically you want to set-up your line (kind of) like this:

83868.gif

I used to fish using maggots and I remember I used to set up my "floater" so that the hook was close to the bottom (20-30cm from the bottom). Worked well for me!

Advertisement