Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1993+ Volvo 850

• 24-06-2009 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Has anyone here own or has owned or has an opinion on an 93+ Volvo 850.

Moving to NZ in a couple of months so was thinking of picking up a 4 door ( cheaper than the estate) 93-96 850 in an auction.

Example...93...200ks 850 for 500+ euros..

Are they reliable at this age ( assuming its reasonably looked after)

655669b.jpg

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

We had a '93 850 2.0 20V for six years and found it to be a brilliant car. So much so that we replaced it with an S70, which is basically a heavily face lifted 850.

If you require comfort, pace and good handling this car delivers it in spades. Throughout the time we had ours it was also faultlessly reliable and it by no means lived a pampered life. They really are a fantastic car and I can't speak highly enough of them.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 AÆ

VolvoMan wrote: »
    We had a '93 850 2.0 20V for six years and found it to be a brilliant car. So much so that we replaced it with an S70, which is basically a heavily face lifted 850.

If you require comfort, pace and good handling this car delivers it in spades. Throughout the time we had ours it was also faultlessly reliable and it by no means lived a pampered life. They really are a fantastic car and I can't speak highly enough of them.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.;)

Cheers...you have me sold on the idea...

Thanks for your feedback....I have owned a SAAB 900 and a w124 and this seems likely to fit nicely in between..

As far as i read the only real issues seems to be shocks, struts,radiator and a/c.

How did you find the mpg ? I like the autos over manuals....do u know how the autos age ?

cheers...

wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback....I have owned a SAAB 900 and a w124 and this seems likely to fit nicely in between..

As far as i read the only real issues seems to be shocks, struts,radiator and a/c.

How did you find the mpg ? I like the autos over manuals....do u know how the autos age ?

cheers...

They're the only things really. In saying that I don't recall it ever needing any suspension work, although the radiator was replaced at well over 100k miles. The only other things that went wrong with ours were that the lock on the glove compartment seized, resulting in it having to be broken open, and the hinges on the boot lid started to fail as the car got older.

Ours didn't have the aircon, I think it was a rare enough option on them back then. I'm not sure if it used the same unit, but the one in our S70 never gave any real bother.

The mpg was OK, but by no means frugal.

The autos would be very old fashioned at this stage, but I'm sure they are fine with regular maintenance.

Here's a link to a useful buyer's guide for the 850 and 70 Series: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/buying70.shtml

Advertisement